Vault Trailer Hub Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vault Trailer Hub Issue

I bought a boat trailer from McClain Trailers earlier this year, and saw this when I got to the boat ramp this morning. Anyone ever had this issue or know what the deal is?
    Attached Files

Looks like a seal may have blown out but would have to be pulled apart to tell for sure

Comment

Yep.

Ain't no more vault to your vault. How many miles on it? I have the same hubs

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

See it all the time. I normally just repack them and switch to Aqualube caps.

Comment

Nervous me

Never owned a oil hub trailer, but hear a 50/50 love it hate it
          Any time catastrophic failure is listed in pro’s and cons it makes me nervous
          Attached Files

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
              Never owned a oil hub trailer, but hear a 50/50 love it hate it
              Any time catastrophic failure is listed in pro’s and cons it makes me nervous
              Vault hubs take a hybrid lube, it is somewhere between grease and oil. I don't think you would loose it all at one time like you can with oil bath hubs.

OP just buy a new cap and the lube from pacific trailers. Knock the cap off with a mallet and follow the directions for installing the new one. I think you put locktite on the outside of the cap and hammer it home if I am remembering correctly. https://www.pacifictrailers.com/page...s-page?q=vault

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                Yep.

Ain't no more vault to your vault. How many miles on it? I have the same hubs

That's the frustrating part. Three or four trips to Fayette County Lake, one trip to Lake Conroe, & a few trips from the storage unit and back (5 minutes down the road).

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                  Vault hubs take a hybrid lube, it is somewhere between grease and oil. I don't think you would loose it all at one time like you can with oil bath hubs.

OP just buy a new cap and the lube from pacific trailers. Knock the cap off with a mallet and follow the directions for installing the new one. I think you put locktite on the outside of the cap and hammer it home if I am remembering correctly. https://www.pacifictrailers.com/page...s-page?q=vault
                  You're thinking it's essentially just a loose cap?

Comment

Originally posted by JMKro View Post
                    That's the frustrating part. Three or four trips to Fayette County Lake, one trip to Lake Conroe, & a few trips from the storage unit and back (5 minutes down the road).
                    Hmmm

Mine are almost 5 years old (tandem trailer). 5 or 6 trips to POC, 10 or 15 to matty, no telling how many to Somerville,Conroe and fayette.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      Hmmm

Mine are almost 5 years old (tandem trailer). 5 or 6 trips to POC, 10 or 15 to matty, no telling how many to Somerville,Conroe and fayette.

Right. Maybe I just got one of those one in a hundred. Who knows...

Comment

I'll contact McClain and see what they have to say.
                        Last edited by JMKro; 11-17-2019, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JMKro View Post
                          You're thinking it's essentially just a loose cap?
                          I think the o ring in the cap went bad. They are replaceable but when a cap is $15 I’d just assume knock a whole new cap on.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                            I think the o ring in the cap went bad. They are replaceable but when a cap is $15 I’d just assume knock a whole new cap on.
                            Good point. I emailed the picture to the salesman I dealt with at McClain and asked what I need to do about bringing the trailer in to get the issue fixed, so we'll see what happens.

Comment

McClain said they'll fix it free of charge. With that being said, it's a +/- 45 minute drive from my house to where they're located. Nothing felt hot when I got home on Saturday, but how worried should I be about towing the trailer to the dealer?

Comment

Working...
                              X