Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hate to ask this ..... 270 Win vs 30.06?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m going to come at this from a different angle than most.....why pick a old/dated long action cartridge over short action? Do you have a reason for this? Years ago one could argue they wanted the “old reliable” cartridges for the ability to buy off the shelf ammo, and that was a good reason. Now days, that’s just not a factor in the equation. I’m not even going to go get into ballistics on this forum because many here think they are Bryan Litz recreated. I’m gathering parts for a rifle build that will be used all of the US for everything from deer, elk, moose, antelope and it will be a short action.

If I had to pick from your choices, by all means it would be a .30-06.

Comment

You won’t go wrong with either one. I have and love the 30-06, but I’m sure everything I shot with it would have been just as dead with a 270.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Ray View Post
        I will look in to the 280. Realistically I will be shooting inside of 300. Most of the time it will be around 100-150.
        I posted before I seen this from you.
        For that distance, it really doesn’t matter what you pick. They will both kill just as dead at 100yds.

Comment

I always kind of rolled my eyes at posts like this, especially when the rounds being debated are both excellent choices. But I have been thinking of doing the same thing you are lately. Pare the stable down a bit and build a good, accurate working rifle. One I dont have to baby. I personally like small, light rifles, so I am leaning toward 308, but have an affinty for the 270.

Good luck in your decision, cant go wrong either way.

Comment

Depends on whether you like 30 caliber or 27 caliber.

At the ranges you mentioned there will be no difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
              I’m going to come at this from a different angle than most.....why pick a old/dated long action cartridge over short action? Do you have a reason for this? Years ago one could argue they wanted the “old reliable” cartridges for the ability to buy off the shelf ammo, and that was a good reason. Now days, that’s just not a factor in the equation. I’m not even going to go get into ballistics on this forum because many here think they are Bryan Litz recreated. I’m gathering parts for a rifle build that will be used all of the US for everything from deer, elk, moose, antelope and it will be a short action.

Man, you love to take shots at "the people on here" almost every post you make

Amazed you even enjoy tbh being so obviously superior to the rest of us.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Shot the same Winchester 270 since 1986, never had a 30.06

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post

7-08?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

270 - 130 grain boattail soft point.

Comment

Making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Comment

270 is a classic Texas caliber, really hard to beat. When it comes to Nilgai , Elk or a big stag I might would want a 06 with 180 grain bullets.

If you want to use a short action “newer “ caliber, that 7mm-08 is a dang good cartridge.

Comment

I have had both and shot plenty of deer with both but I sold the 270 and kept the 30-06

Comment

You can buy 30.06 ammo most any place on the planet

Comment

Always be a 30-06 fan. Way more bullet size choices and always easy to find.

Comment

I vote 270. They make rounds light enough for small whitetail and thin skinned game. Heavyweight rounds are also available for the thick stuff. It’s been many years since I shopped ammo for 30-06 maybe they make some lighter stuff than 150 now.

Comment

Working...
                                X