Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-29-2019, 01:55 PM   #51
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastAndBlast View Post
I prefer hog over WT deer personally. The only hogs I wonít eat are the ones that still stink after skinning. I have had 200# boars have zero odor and taste great, but have also had sows smell horrible and taste like ***.

I donít necessarily have a size limit on what I eat, more of a smell test.

Yep, me too...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 01:59 PM   #52
toomuchsun
Six Point

Hunt In: on the edge

I hunt primarily with intent to eat what I kill and never wanted to mess with a hog. This relates back to when I had abundance of locations to hunt they were not so many hogs and a lot of deer. I now Bow hunt public lands and Hogs offer more opportunity than deer so learning. Thanks for comments. All the hog meat I have tasted so far was great and common sense a younger sow would be better than a big boar so listening to you folks and if I get a choice, it will be 100lb or under miss piggy. I assumed they all stunk to high heaven!
toomuchsun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #53
rolylane6
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotx View Post
My deal is I hate having to handle the filthy stinking things. In my younger days I killed the hell out of them and ate them all. I am not that hungry anymore I guess. These days its gut shoot and let run off.
This should stir something up.

I believe it's wrong to intentionally gut shoot any animal to have it suffer a miserable death. It's just lazy in my opinion. Kill it quickly and get off your lazy butt and go dispose if it if you dont want to eat it. I get they are a nuisance animal but they still shouldn't suffer intentionally. As hunters, we're better than that.

I'm ready for my chastising now.....

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #54
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Weíve eaten some boars from Coleman county that weíre fine. We cut the backstraps out of one killed (quickly and without struggle) in Young county. My buddy carried them into the shower house to wash off and I went to get a beer. Came back in the shower house to wash off my knife and the smell nearly knocked me down. Just awful, maybe could have soaked it out of it, but I didnít want that stank in my cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 02:02 PM   #55
rolylane6
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolylane6 View Post

I believe it's wrong to intentionally gut shoot any animal to have it suffer a miserable death. It's just lazy in my opinion. Kill it quickly and get off your lazy butt and go dispose if it if you dont want to eat it. I get they are a nuisance animal but they still shouldn't suffer intentionally. As hunters, we're better than that.

I'm ready for my chastising now.....oh and boars eat just fine. I've eaten plenty

Old 10-29-2019, 02:06 PM   #56
Hendo
Six Point

Hunt In: Limestone County, TX

I've never had a bad one, maybe I've just been lucky? I'll eat em all.
Hendo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 02:20 PM   #57
roughneck266
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bustling metropolis of Votaw

I have never had an issue eatin a boar. I have never killed one bigger than 300lbs though. My rule is if I am not dry heaving trying to skin it I eat it.
roughneck266 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #58
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:

I'm sure you'll get some but I'm 100% with you for the nothing it's worth.

Bad shots happen but to intentionally be cruel is not acceptable at all and against everything a responsible hunter should stand for.

With that said I've eaten a quite stanky boar before and it was tough but still tasted fine. I've really never had wild pig that was bad.
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 02:29 PM   #59
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:

same
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 02:36 PM   #60
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
Small ones are fine. The big ones I usually just pull the backstraps in the field. I have eaten some 250+ pounders that were fine my old *** just doesn't want to clean them anymore.
Bingo, accept for the old part....
3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 02:39 PM   #61
slayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Knox & Palo Pinto County

We eat them all, no matter the size. Why waste the meat, you dont want it, donate it. That's just plain stupid to leave a game animal there and rot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 02:45 PM   #62
gfulton
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
NOt me, but I don't eat any of them. Coyotes and buzzards eat well around my place.

The same!
gfulton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 02:46 PM   #63
dphillips62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mission Valley, Victoria, and anywhere else I can sling an arrow

If it's healthy I butcher it.
I have found that a sow that has a bag full of milk has a bad taste to her but she will usually be pulled down by the little ones and skinny. I don't butcher those. keep the meat very clean when you skin and quarter them don't gut use the gutless method (unless it's a small one and i usually split them in half and smoke them really slow).
dphillips62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 02:47 PM   #64
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

I've never had an issue with meat quality on ones we have gotten to quickly. Last couple of bigger boars I just took the straps out of because I didn't want to mess with cleaning em. Meat was great
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 02:47 PM   #65
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma / San Saba Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodgepole View Post
I prefer them to deer. We keep all sizes. The largest I have personally kept was a 300+ lb (scale only goes to 300) boar. As long as you clean them as soon as you can AND get the hide off as quickly as possible they are good. Also age for at least two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Tell me how you age for two weeks.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 02:57 PM   #66
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hempstead & Timpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 82 View Post
150 pounds is my cut off. Let him sit in ice for 6 days.
This but I do around 100lbs on boars.
TXHUNT3R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 02:58 PM   #67
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtkdplus View Post
What about rats? I'm pretty sure they suffer and die when I poison them or catch them on a glue board. I love hunting hogs and kill and eat my share of them but I completely understand using any means necessary when pests are destroying your livelihood or property. I also understand using all means at your disposal when they are ruining your hunts for deer on the lease that you paid thousands of dollars and many hours of travel and work for.

Using all means has nothing to do with purposely shooting an animal in the guts. We have property and mowing it is a pain in the *** due to what the pigs do but I still donít go out shoot them in the gut. I donít even understand the purpose. Iíve shot pigs, deer and other varmints while hunting and they never bothered the other animals that came by or to the feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #68
LWC
Ten Point

If they don't stink they normally taste great. If they stink when you walk up to them, don't bother.
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #69
rjtkdplus
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Everywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer View Post
We eat them all, no matter the size. Why waste the meat, you dont want it, donate it. That's just plain stupid to leave a game animal there and rot.

Feral hogs are NOT game animals. But they are tasty. Although some places that will take donated meat will not accept feral hog meat.
rjtkdplus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #70
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer View Post

Nothing in nature goes to waste. Mine have fed turkey vultures, mexican vultures, golden eagles, crows, cara cara, coyotes, bobcats, hawks....

Funny everyone always wants them till you call them and tell them you have some ready to be gutted. Then everyone is always busy or they'll get them next time, or maybe if I'll gut it and bring it to them....... we killed close to 200 last year. I have zero desire to clean something I don't like to eat.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 03:24 PM   #71
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

For those who never eat boars over +/- 100 pounds... Why?

I understand if you walk up to one and it stinks...But other than that assuming the boar didn't stink did you try to eat one?

It's ok to admit you simply like to kill things and let them lay. We are all hunters here and all have done it. I shoot hogs and let them lay periodically as I'm just too lazy to clean them.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 03:30 PM   #72
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas Public Lands

No issues with boars I have eaten. Up to 350 lbs. I bring everything into hamburger and sausage. They smell and taste like any other pig when you get the hide off and clean them as soon as possible. Chops and such can be hit or miss that's why it gets ground.
E.TX.BOWHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 03:31 PM   #73
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
For those who never eat boars over +/- 100 pounds... Why?

I understand if you walk up to one and it stinks...But other than that assuming the boar didn't stink did you try to eat one?

It's ok to admit you simply like to kill things and let them lay. We are all hunters here and all have done it. I shoot hogs and let them lay periodically as I'm just too lazy to clean them.
I cleaned and processed a 300 lber once and it was awful, gave it all to the yotes.

If I am picking out one to shoot and eat I will shoot the one that is around 100lbs either boar or sow. Its just a good size to clean and will go in a smaller cooler so less ice used. 100lbers have done me right on taste and so I stick to it.

I also have times where I do not plan to clean anything and will mow as many as I can down with my AR, they destroy our land and I do what I can to reduce the population even though I don't even put a dent in them.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:36 PM   #74
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:

In the same boat.
I do not try to make anything suffer when possible. From Rabbits to deer and even pigs.
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 03:45 PM   #75
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRiverRat View Post
as i hunter i'll never understand why anyone would purposely shoot an animal in the gut, much less advertise it. Every animal deserves to die in an ethical manner, even a pig.
Not pigs in my opinion.
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 03:50 PM   #76
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

My name is Paul and I eat wild boar hogs.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 03:58 PM   #77
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Not pigs in my opinion.
Why not pigs? What makes it OK to be purposefully cruel to them?

Last edited by Jspradley; 10-29-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:02 PM   #78
sotx
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
Why not pigs?
They are the scourge of the land, over populated out of control pasture destroyers and can ruin a good deer hunt in a heart beat. Plus they stink and I do not like them Oh and they force me to spend time and money on pens around my feed stations
Old 10-29-2019, 04:03 PM   #79
sotx
Ten Point

I guess I am a cruel black hearted pig killer.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:05 PM   #80
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoof View Post
My name is Paul and I eat wild boar hogs.
Probably voted for Beto too... dang millenials
Old 10-29-2019, 04:07 PM   #81
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

I wont shoot them intentionally in the gut but I will spray and pray and what I knock down gets a second bullet to put it out of its misery. Besides tannerite its the best bet at killing lots, AR and a full mag at a large herd.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:08 PM   #82
warrenm0624
Four Point

Hunt In: Campbellton

I think the meat from 100 different pigs has entered my mouth and I liked them all. The big ones, the little ones, the ones I made bad shots on and found the next day, the pregnant ones, the rundown ones, the ones that smelled real bad from rolling in their own poo, and even the three legged ones.
warrenm0624 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 04:10 PM   #83
thisisbeer
Four Point

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtkdplus View Post
What about rats? I'm pretty sure they suffer and die when I poison them or catch them on a glue board. I love hunting hogs and kill and eat my share of them but I completely understand using any means necessary when pests are destroying your livelihood or property. I also understand using all means at your disposal when they are ruining your hunts for deer on the lease that you paid thousands of dollars and many hours of travel and work for.
I agree, but why does that mean you can't kill them ethically and drag them off? I try and eat everything I kill. Pigs I make an exception on because if we only killed them for food the population would be way more than it currently is. There is no reason you have to purposely gut shoot them aside from laziness of not wanting to deal with them. Now I will still take more questionable shots on pigs then I would deer, but I always attempt to bring them down quickly. I've opened up on groups of them with my AR15 and I'm positive I gut shot a couple. But given the chance I'll try and put them down quickly.

We eat a lot of them. They're probably on my house menu at least once a week. I have 5 in the freezer right now. Smoke them whole, breakfast sausage, roasts, they make great chili meat, bolognese sauce, pulled pork, smoked sausage, ribs, etc.

I've eaten them up to 300 pounds with great luck. The only thing I have found, and it's not always true, is if the smell awful when you walk up on them they won't taste great. I mean smell really bad. Sometimes there is no smell, sometimes they smell but not to bad, and sometimes there vile. The vile ones we don't eat.

Honestly, I would rather have a 125+ pounder to eat. You get bigger cuts and can make more things with them. 50 pounds or less generally get smoked whole or turned to ground meat. I can't understand why many people get turned away from them. I've been told it's because they smell and they're dirty animals. But these same people eat domestic pork. I assume these people have never been on a pig farm and seen domestic pigs aren't to different! I much prefer wild pork to store bought.

thisisbeer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 04:11 PM   #84
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
They are the scourge of the land, over populated out of control pasture destroyers and can ruin a good deer hunt in a heart beat. Plus they stink and I do not like them Oh and they force me to spend time and money on pens around my feed stations
All of which is a perfectly good justification for getting rid of them, but not intentionally gut shooting them.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:12 PM   #85
WTJim
Ten Point

Me and family, gotta skin em and smell the meat. If not rutty smelling it be good to go. All hogs stink on the outside.
WTJim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 04:16 PM   #86
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Depends on area, temperatures, time of shot to time of find, size -- it all has to be right.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 04:25 PM   #87
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTJim View Post
All hogs stink on the outside.
Elk pee all over themselves and roll around in pee and poop water.
All mammals are filthy and stink.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:47 PM   #88
sotx
Ten Point

Quote:
All of which is a perfectly good justification for getting rid of them, but not intentionally gut shooting them.

Meh in your opinion but not mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2019, 05:02 PM   #89
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Smell test for me. I don't care if its a boar or a sow, and if its 50lbs or 250lbs. I've found that the majority of them don't smell and eat great.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 05:03 PM   #90
rolylane6
Four Point

Quote:
If they cause you that much trouble I would think you would really want to make sure they were dead.Why not one good shot to kill them. You know a gut shot animal can sometimes survive, right?......especially a pig.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:10 PM   #91
Bowdark
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas swamps to Teton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntertex View Post
Almost any wild hog if the meat is handled properly is very tasty, boar or sow. I have killed and eaten 2 boars that field dressed a tad over 260 and they ate just fine. No one ever knew they were that big and all liked the flavor of the meat.

This. It is all in the prep.
Bowdark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 05:12 PM   #92
Hunter Dan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

I have eaten lots of hogs and have not had a bad one, don't eat them if they smell nasty though. I have had a 300lb boar and it made lots of good meals. I also have no issue shooting them and letting them lay, coyotes and hogs will get my led even if I don't have a good shot.
Hunter Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 05:13 PM   #93
Bowdark
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas swamps to Teton County

Quote:
Elk pee all over themselves and roll around in pee and poop water.
All mammals are filthy and stink.
Yessir. Its all in the prep. Elk are nastier than pigs! lol!

I brine the #### out of everything.
Bowdark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 05:15 PM   #94
Cbb1722
Ten Point

Quote:
If they cause you that much trouble I would think you would really want to make sure they were dead.Why not one good shot to kill them. You know a gut shot animal can sometimes survive, right?......especially a pig.

150 gr. 30-06. Ainít no pig gonna live through that through the guts
Cbb1722 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 05:18 PM   #95
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

Quote:
Agreed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 05:21 PM   #96
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Bound View Post
Who doesn't?
People who believe everything the read on the internet... or from their buddy who knows a guy who swears that this and that are gospel without any real context.

The reality is, there are a lot of factors that play into the quality of the meat off an animal. Time of year, their diet, and whether or not they are under stress, or fighting off an infection you can't see.

I judge each animal based off of the conditions and what I can tell when I get them up on the skinning rack.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 05:27 PM   #97
JA23
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Shnf, Crosby, WV, and anywhere I don't have to pay!

I think anyone that says they don’t like the taste of a boar either doesn’t like wild game meat, or hasn’t ever tried it. I clean everyone I kill and butcher myself or give them away. I killed three boars over 250 last year all three tasted great. The loins taste almost identical to tame pork. I do soak them in ice draining the water daily for a week or so before I butcher.
JA23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 05:30 PM   #98
yotethumper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

I don't eat wild hog unless it's a 20-40lb that I trapped and corn fed for a little bit.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 05:30 PM   #99
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:

He's just trolling. No way he's dumb enough to believe what he's trying to sell.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 05:40 PM   #100
howabouttheiris
Ten Point

I eat them all and actually prefer to shoot hog over deer.

I've never had issues with boars vs sows.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
howabouttheiris is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top