White House Proposing New Background checks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
    Smartphone and an app. Take a photo of the ID, put it into the app along with both the purchaser and sellers name, and run it. It's the 21st century, there is no reason that can't be done.
    I do not think it should ever be a sellers responsibility to check a purchasers background. I think it should be the buyers responsibility to prove he is legal to own the gun. This could be done easily in a way that the sales would be expedient. If the government wants to enact a way to require a check on person to person sales then they should develop a way for buyers to be pre-certified. This could be done easily the same way we get our LTC's. The buyer could go through a background check and receive an ID card showing they are legal to buy a firearm. The ID could be good for three to five years at a time but be revoked if the person commit's certain crimes or checks into a mental hospital. With a pre-certification their could be a single page form that the seller fills out with the buyers "purchasers ID number" on it to mail in or do it online. It could be done in a matter of a few minutes and the only thing the seller would be responsible for is logging that the buyer was pre-certified. The question then would be how detailed should the information be about the gun that was sold?

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
      I won't sell you a gun but you can rent one from me for a very long time.
      I'll loan you my gun, but I need to "borrow" some money from you first!

Comment

Why hasn't this hit national news?? Have been listening off & on all day??

Should be front page material

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          Y'all just need to think of all the mass murders this law will stop.
          Exactly. What a crock, all this does is screw over guys like us.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post

It will be. IMO the whole point of liberals pushing this so hard is to back Trump in a corner to **** off a portion of his base.

There's about a zero percent chance Dems think this would actually solve anything. Watch shootings go up more over the next 6 months so they can try to force Trump to really tick his base off.

Enough of Trump supporters are stupid and scared and actually want gun control. Zero anti-Trumpers will switch sides no matter what Trump does with guns. It's a lose/lose for Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
              Inching closer towards total gun registration.
              Originally posted by sectxag06 View Post
              it's not a pure gun grab. but, as the poster above you said, this moves us towards national gun registry. that's how you incrementally take guns from people.
              Liberals are playing chess. Their pieces are getting in the right places fast...and it's scary!

We will be living in peace very soon. I mean take away all the shootings that each of us personally see and the world will be perfect!

Comment

I cant find it anywhere

Comment

So just lets say they found a gun that was made in 2000, and that gun was used in a crime. The dealer sold it to Joe per the 4473, the FBI finds Joe and he sold it to Tim in 2003. Then Tim sold it to some dude at the gunshow in 2010, what good was the 4473?What good would a 4473 in a private sale do if it doesn't transfer a serial number....none. You will never stop the private sale of guns.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                    What good would a 4473 in a private sale do if it doesn't transfer a serial number....none. You will never stop the private sale of guns.
                    Well, if you are an ffl I would expect to lose your lic on the next inspection...the paperwork is meaningless with no traceability.

I'll wait to chime in once it's been proven & front page. Trump was quoted as universals being a slippery slope. The two bills in congress will never pass.

Comment

Compare this to buying a car. When you buy a car, you are not required to have a license, but in order to use it on the road, you must have it registered, and the driver must have a license.

This bill reads like you have to have a drivers license in order to purchase the car, but you don't need to register it. I don't see it as a gun grab, but I do see it as one more headache to deal with when selling guns.

My analogy probably isn't perfect, but it's close.
                      Owning and/or driving a car is not a constitutional right. Owning a gun is.

Comment

Compare this to buying a car. When you buy a car, you are not required to have a license, but in order to use it on the road, you must have it registered, and the driver must have a license.

This bill reads like you have to have a drivers license in order to purchase the car, but you don't need to register it. I don't see it as a gun grab, but I do see it as one more headache to deal with when selling guns.

My analogy probably isn't perfect, but it's close.
                        No..its not close

Comment

If the real concern is keeping firearms away from potential buyer's that have some sort of disqualifier for making the purchase, then why do the new forms need to have any mention of a firearm's serial number? I have no problem with a seller and purchaser having to verify the individual's background to be permitted to possess or own a firearm since supposedly thats the reason for a background check, so lets keep that the issue.

The definition of commercial sales will change over time. No doubt if this were to pass, in time, commercial sales will eventually include inherited firearms or passed down firearms.

Eventually, the people who have the items in possession that weren't run through the system, will have a headache. Think about how hard it is to title a used boat or boat motor that a law abiding citizen wants to get titled, but does not have the original title. A lot of hassle to become legal.

Anyone old enough to recall the laws passed regarding smoking? 1st you could smoke anywhere, then only designated smoking sections/ areas, then no smoking within a certain distance of the establishment, then no smoking at all. And I am not a smoker.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

has a bill been proposed?

Comment

Originally posted by Russ-T View Post
                              So if you and I both live as neighbors in the mountains of Colorado and you want to buy one of my guns. There are no FFL people around us for hours. How is a background check conducted in this instance?

I'll just, ask your wife......

Comment

I feel safer already

Comment

Working...
                                X