No announcement yet.

Stolen Valor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RA 15849334 That's the number I got on Aug 17th 1968 when I entered the army then when I was in about 18 months they started use ssn. If you didn't know your service number and your rifle sn
    no pay.

Comment

Recently I've been getting asked if I am mil and/or where I served which is getting kinda awkward to me for some reason...not sure what else to say other than "sorry, not serving my country has always been one of my biggest regrets, I'm in your shadow & thanks for all you've done."

Guess I should take it as a compliment but makes me feel strange as it's all happened in the past couple of years & why now when I'm about to hit 50?? Most of it's been casual conversation at the checkpoints with BP & by a few LE who gave me warnings for speeding.

Not sure how insecure you would have to be in other areas of your life if you are going to try & pass your SV onto others that actually stepped up. I can't grasp the thought process.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
        That’s correct. I got a copy of mine about a month ago. All mine shows is my active duty service. Does not show my reserve service, rank or date of discharge, or type of discharge.
        If you have all that information and orders to prove it you can get an corrected DD214. It might be worth it one day to have it all on one form.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
          Actually they all definitely don’t still issue a service number. When I was in the Marine Corps we used our SSN for everything. The Corps, Navy, and Army all discontinued service numbers around 1970. The army is the only ones to go back to a DoD number in 2015. I think the Air Force never stopped using them. Google is your friend.
          Not sure what MC you were in or when but I definitely had a service number when I was in and are currently using them....

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
            Thank you for your service!

You aren't by chance kin to Pocahontas are you?
            OMG ! I sure hope not....

Originally posted by Kdurham View Post
            Were you on it during Beirut?

No, I got out in 74..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

All these guys asking to see his DD214, I for one don't just go showing that to anyone anywhere just because they question my service. Too much personal information on the **** thing.

I'm my opinion, unless the person is using it on a business, or to get some sort of assistance, then it's not worth your time or effort. And I had one of those short careers a lot of y'all would question to include the *classified* work in Afghanistan.

Sent from somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by Merc View Post
                All these guys asking to see his DD214, I for one don't just go showing that to anyone anywhere just because they question my service. Too much personal information on the **** thing.

I'm my opinion, unless the person is using it on a business, or to get some sort of assistance, then it's not worth your time or effort. And I had one of those short careers a lot of y'all would question to include the *classified* work in Afghanistan.

Sent from somewhere
                So can I see your DD214...

Love your avatar!!

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                  So can I see your DD214...

Love your avatar!!
                  That's a negative ghost rider!!

Sent from somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by Kdurham View Post
                    Yeah 10% isn’t much. Now the 50% off at Popeyes makes sense. Lol

I hope like heck this is true, I see some clogged arteries in my future !!!!

Comment

Stolen Valor?

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                      I hope like heck this is true, I see some clogged arteries in my future !!!!

At least the one over here. I’ve stopped in a couple times on my way home from drill.

Last edited by Kdurham; 03-12-2019, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Are they scamming someone or otherwise using it to gain something? Wouldn't concern myself with it otherwise.

Comment

The one's who crack me up are the overweight 60+ year olds in a uniform that fits trying to get seat upgrades on airlines.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter_2 View Post
                            Gotcha👍🏼, thanks.
                            Good thing they are trying to get rid of SSN. I have received no less than 5 letters between the DoD, VA and various Fed LE agencies re hacks over the years and that my social had been compromised. Good news is I have free identity protection for the rest of my life. Bad news is I have had probably 8 instances of identity theft. Nothing major but extremely frustrating to resolve.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter_2 View Post
                              Not sure what MC you were in or when but I definitely had a service number when I was in and are currently using them....
                              I served in the one and only USMC. We absolutely did not have service numbers as other people have also attested to here. Things change all the time. I didn’t wear tricolors or have black boots. Does that mean I didn’t serve?

All I’m getting at is saying someone didn’t serve because they don’t have a service number is spreading misinformation. If someone tried that crap with me, we’d discuss it outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                                I served in the one and only USMC. We absolutely did not have service numbers as other people have also attested to here. Things change all the time. I didn’t wear tricolors or have black boots. Does that mean I didn’t serve?

All I’m getting at is saying someone didn’t serve because they don’t have a service number is spreading misinformation. If someone tried that crap with me, we’d discuss it outside.
                                No but I was always curious as to what they replaced the 2 weeks of Basic/Boot
                                that was spent shining boots with? More waxing floors or something more outdoorsy like picking weeds out of the rocks. 😂

Comment

Working...
                                X