Balcones Canyonlands NWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also drew for the 12/11-13 Dates.

Fee is paid, hopefully we get the emails soon with our units so we can do at least some Google Earth scouting.

I have heard that it is very hit or miss depending on the unit you draw. Some report seeing nothing but birds where others have harvested decent animals. I am not picky. I will shoot a hog if it presents itself. Or a mature doe. Can't wait for sure!

My daughter also drew an Antlerless/Spike permit for The Chaparral! We'll be able to make both! Pretty stoked for her! This will be her first hunt!!!

Comment

Originally posted by piercebronkite View Post
      I got selected too, trying to figure out if I should attend this one as I have Laguna and Big Bottom lake all around the same time period. Good to have options!
      I've hunted Laguna twice on Archery only. Never have hunted Balcones.

If your Laguna draw is for Rifle, I'd say go there for sure. There are plenty of shot opportunities and I'd love to get a chance down there with a rifle.

But if it's archery, I'd say maybe do the Balcones. Hard to say for sure since I've never hunted it. The reason I'm saying this is because LANWR is very big and very open in a lot of areas. there are animals but getting in range is tricky, especially with the Nilgai! They are very skittish and very fast to run away.

Comment

Tagged and following. I was drawn for Balcones and will be my first time hunting it. Hunt dates 11/13-15/20.

Comment

Originally posted by TCR² View Post
          Tagged and following. I was drawn for Balcones and will be my first time hunting it. Hunt dates 11/13-15/20.

I got drawn for the last of the Rifle hunts. 12/11-13/20.
          I'm sure the deer will be nice and skittish by then. Lol. I'll make the most of it and I'll be happy even with a hog.

Comment

12/4-12/6 here.

Comment

I hunted there last year. Unit 9. If anyone would like some insight on that unit let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by m10 View Post
                I hunted there last year. Unit 9. If anyone would like some insight on that unit let me know.
                Thanks, will let you know.

Comment

Fee paid, waiting on the unit assignments!

Comment

Originally posted by m10 View Post
                    Thank you sir!

Comment

Got lucky, waiting on unit assignment. Hunted Unit 1 I believe a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by Jibby View Post
                        Got lucky, waiting on unit assignment. Hunted Unit 1 I believe a few years back.
                        What was your experience then? Any luck, did you see much activity at all? After reading up on this hunt a bunch, I've tried to curb my expectations...

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
                          What was your experience then? Any luck, did you see much activity at all? After reading up on this hunt a bunch, I've tried to curb my expectations...
                          It's the hill country, you'll see deer. Probably not 150 class, but I would assume 100" 8pters are out there. I googled it and lots of great looking deer were harvested there in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
                            Be aware of that you cannot bait at Balcones. So, if you have already used of Texas deer hunt, we use bait in most places, this hunt would be abnormal. You may have to think of changing your hunting strategy.

Comment

I passed on this hunt after doing some research with a buddy and making a few phone calls. The short answer is there isn't much of healthy deer population there and not many hogs. We could be completely wrong but who knows. I decided Im going to Laguna and Big Bottom Lake instead.

Comment

Originally posted by piercebronkite View Post
                                I passed on this hunt after doing some research with a buddy and making a few phone calls. The short answer is there isn't much of healthy deer population there and not many hogs. We could be completely wrong but who knows. I decided Im going to Laguna and Big Bottom Lake instead.
                                I've read the same thing. Almost passed on the hunt too but I've got vacation time to burn and haven't hunted that area of the state before so I figured why not lol

Comment

Working...
                                X