Bluebonnet Gobbler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluebonnet Gobbler

I have been after the toms since opening day. The last few years I have been trying to take them with my bow, without a blind, and by calling them in. So far this year, they were kicking my butt. Each hunt I had seen multiple gobblers but couldn't get them to close the distance, got busted drawing, had hens bust me, spooked them off the roost, over called, had them spook at the decoys, you get the idea. But this past weekend, I was able to get it done.

I did not hear any gobbling from the typical roosting areas. I did hear a few coming from off of our property, back towards our tank, but most likely in our neighbors. As it was starting to get close to fly down time, I made my between our tank and the neighbors fence line. I decided to leave the decoys at home and just give the mouth call only a try. Just as I buried my little tripod chair into the cedar tree I hear a very clear gobble, still up in the tree and definitely in the neighbors several hundred yards away. I go ahead and give him a couple of yelps to let him know where I was at, and he responded back. Less than a minute from our exchange, I am startled by a hen flying down right over the top of me. She had been roosted much closer to me than the gobbler was and flew down headed for some open feeding areas. She flew down and started milling around in a drainage on the other side of the tank. Honestly, the best possible place to have her. I didn't have to do anything else. I waited about 4 minutes, then I hear two gobblers firing off and heading our way. To get to the hen, they would have to go between me and the tank. I could see both of the bids through the thick cedar cover I was buried up into, and knew the distance of the water gap, I had a suspicion they would go through. Once one bird cleared the gap, I went ahead an drew my bow, hoping they would both continue on the path they seemed to be headed. My live decoy hen, kept them distracted and they both strolled right past me. I settled my pin on the lead bird and let the slick trick fly at 14 yards. He ran off but I knew he wasn't going to make it far. I quickly followed and got ready to put another arrow in him, but by the time I caught up to him, I could tell it wasn't necessary. It was an absolutely amazing morning with a great ending. We have already eaten him as well. Turned him into crock pot turkey tacos!

I remember a guy on here last year talking about trying to find a place to kill a turkey in the bluebonnets, so I will try to post on his thread and tell him it is possible. The beauty and splendor the Lord has created is a constant reminder of how wonderful it is to have Jesus Christ as my savior. I am so very blessed that I am able to spend so much time.... N.DaWoods.
    Attached Files

Awesome! Great write up for a great hunt! Congrats on sticking with it and making it happen.

Comment

Waydago!
      Very nice

Comment

Great pictures and congratulations!

Comment

Nice bird! Congrats!

Comment

Great write up and a nice tom.
            Congrats on your success.[emoji106]

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Nice Tom, what dish is that?

Comment

Awesome, congratulations!

Comment

Beautiful

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Good job!Congrats

Comment

Congrats !!! Turkey hunting can be very humbling for sure. Way to stay after em

Comment

Congrats Clint! We need to go on another hunt sometime. Maybe you can get randy out of the house!

Comment

Congrats! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Nice!! Truly Amazing Pictures God Creates

Comment

Working...
                              X