Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
Casey
Administrator

Hunt In: Blanco
Default Looking for East Texas Bears

Found this article interesting. It always intrigued me as a yoot how they had a black bear season in the Outdoor Annual where I hunted in Cass County. I think it'd be awesome to see bears back in the woods of East Texas.

On the Lookout for a Texan of the Past
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

It would be nice to know there out there. I hunt in Nac. a couple times a year on my father-n-laws place and I would love to see one walk by one day
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
Peta-hata
Ten Point

Yeah thats fascinating. I think they could move into some of the NE counites from SE Oklahoma as well. I've always wanted just to see a track, to see an actual bear would be great...I think. Thanks for sharing.
Peta-hata is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
HNT ETX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

When I was in college I did some research on bears in Polk County, the old timers talkin got me curious. Sure enough there used to be a VERY healthy black bear population in polk county, I found old hunting photos with multiple bears hanging on the ol' meat pole and some true hillbillys gathered round. I wish I could been right there with em'. The population in the Big Thicket area held out the longest. I beleive (I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong) the last bear in East Texas was killed at a garbage dump in Polk County in 1969.

I couldn't link to your article, so it may adress this, but I have heard that Western Louisiana is seeing a comeback and that we are getting a few bachelors spilling into our area.
HNT ETX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

It would be neat until one of them over sized coons found your feeder.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
Baygall
Ten Point

There has been talk of restocking. The TPWD held some area meetings on this subject not too long. I too would like to see them back in these woods. There have been several confirmed sightings in the past few years in Jasper co.

While I was picking up a hunting permit at the Big Thicket headquarters, I was told to expect sightings in the near future. The habitat could sustain them, the issue would be those people here that have no respect for wildlife or the laws that protect them.
Baygall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #7
HNT ETX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

I got the link to work, that is pretty neat, I hope they find something. Surely they are using trail cameras, I didn't see any mention of it. I bet six cans of sardines hanging from the trees would bring all kinds of varmints out to investigate. I may try it myself.
HNT ETX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
October madman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere,anytime

About six years ago a fells that I hunt with snapped a pic of a bear running down a farm to market northeast of Paris. I didn't believe him untill he pulled the puc out and showed me.
October madman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
Kodiakk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sabine and where ever else I can.

Last hunting season I swear I saw some bear scat in Sam Houston National forest. I know what bear sign looks like very well coming from Oregon and Alaska.

Saw the scat and tracked it to a stump that had been ripped apart. Maybe I'm crazy though.
Kodiakk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
texag93
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panhandle

Getting them back in East TX would be great....but I am afraid the "no closed season" types would not do them any favors.
texag93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #11
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

When I was kid we were at our camphouse on Toledo Bend and saw a sow with 2 cubs. I think I was 9 or 10 at the time. We were driving back from Fin and Feather heading to the camp house when they crossed the road. This would of been in the late 70's. It woulc be awesome to see them make a comeback......
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #12
SURVIVOR
Six Point

Hunt In: Jasper County, Evadale. in the WOODS

what next......lions o my...not sure whati think about the bear but it may be cool to say you saw one.
SURVIVOR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
Bonesplitter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty,Hardin,Uvalde, Leakey and Rebel's Honky Tonk

I hope they stock them and knuckleheads will leave them alone. If Louisiana can do it so can we.
Bonesplitter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #14
j3x
Spike

There have been a few showing up on game cams around corn feeders in far north east Red River County the last couple of years.
j3x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #15
kfd82
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Backyard

Why do you want bears in Texas?
I hope all of the people saying they want to see bears in Texas remember that when they are tearing up your feeders, stands, camps, ect... and its illegal to shoot them because they are protected.

what is a bear good for, if you cant hunt them? They will be able to tear stuff up, kill other animals and probably a person or two...and we cant hunt them?

What is the UP side of having bears in the woods?
kfd82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 02:39 PM   #16
LouietheLurker
Six Point

There are signs at the stores in Zavala showing the differance between a Hog and a Black Bear Cautioning Hunters to be careful of there Targets. From what I have read and heard they are releasing Females in the "Middle Neches Corridor" to possbly mate with the transient males from La. I have a Camp on the Neches in the Middle of the Upland Island Wilderness and hope to see the Bears make a strong comeback. I hope the Bears that are released are not shot by Hunters, if they can put a chip in a Quail they can probibly hide one in a Bear. If I hear of anyone killing one I will surely report it.
LouietheLurker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #17
Lip
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Found this article interesting. It always intrigued me as a yoot how they had a black bear season in the Outdoor Annual where I hunted in Cass County. I think it'd be awesome to see bears back in the woods of East Texas.

On the Lookout for a Texan of the Past
I read the article this morning as well. Could make a walk to the back 40 a bit more interesting.
Lip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #18
crunchtime
Eight Point

I don't want any part of them. Yeah it would be fun for a day maybe but walking in the dark with a bow and a ticked off sow is not the way I want to start my day. If someone could guarantee me I would not be mauled I'd be in.
crunchtime is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #19
BobbyB
Four Point

Hunt In: Where ever

Zach was taking Wildlife Management classes at the Junior College in Uvalde under Bob Zaiglen. This past Spring a TP&W Biologist brought a young bear in to show Bob and the students that had been hit on a highway in the Bracketville area.

I doubt it weighed a hundred pounds. Zach has pictures somewhere.When he gets home from work tonight, I'll get him to post them.

This picture was taken between Del Rio and Sanderson a couple of years ago I believe.

BobbyB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #20
BobbyB
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfd82 View Post
I hope all of the people saying they want to see bears in Texas remember that when they are tearing up your feeders, stands, camps, ect... and its illegal to shoot them because they are protected.

what is a bear good for, if you cant hunt them? They will be able to tear stuff up, kill other animals and probably a person or two...and we cant hunt them?

Because they were here first, we weren't.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #21
LouietheLurker
Six Point

Come on Mary post it again ! please.
LouietheLurker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #22
kfd82
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyB View Post
Because they were here first, we weren't.
So were the Indians......
Old 08-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #23
BobbyB
Four Point

Quote:
So were the Indians......
Now that would make for a way more interesting hunt in the Big Bend area and West TX. Looking over your shoulder for Apaches or Comanches!
Old 08-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #24
TxBobcat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brazoria, Kimble counties

Hunt alot on family land in Cherokee county. I would love to see a bear in the wild. Would def move a little quicker to and from the stand!
TxBobcat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #25
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County

Do they eat pigs?

If so, I'm for it .
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #26
Darren
Six Point

I've got mixed emotions about bear coming back. We had a bear season listed in the hunting annual when I was a kid even though we never saw a bear. I believe I saw a small bear cross the road late one night in the winter of 1978 in of all places "bear bottom" just south of Harleton on the Little Cypress Creek.

I work with Corps of Engineers as a volunteer and the game biologists have said there have been numerous sightings in northern Marion county and other northeastern counties bordering Louisiana. I have no reason to doubt it as Arkansas would be close enough to make sense.

I'm not sure I care to encounter a sow with cubs. I also believe they would be murder on our feeders and run deer off from the feeders. It's bad enough having to contend with hogs but this would just add more costs and problems.

If they come back naturally then that is great. I really don't want them to stock them in my area.
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #27
tinman
Ten Point

East Texas Black Bear Coalition...

TPWD's plan...

Last edited by tinman; 08-09-2009 at 03:42 PM.
tinman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #28
Baygall
Ten Point

There are big cats, mean nasty hogs with big cutters, rattlesnakes, cottonmouths, hornets and alligators where I hunt.... Throw in a few bears! I ain't scared! It keeps you on your toes and makes me feel alive!
Baygall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #29
tinman
Ten Point

Highlights...

Name:  bearsightings.JPG
Views: 2923
Size:  14.6 KB

Name:  Copy of tx_map_large.jpg
Views: 5528
Size:  34.5 KB

All East Texas bear pics from recent years...

Name:  easttxbear1.jpg
Views: 3818
Size:  58.1 KB

Name:  easttxbear2.jpg
Views: 3116
Size:  82.5 KB

Name:  easttxbear3.jpg
Views: 3321
Size:  78.2 KB

Every county around us has had sightings in the last 10 years...mostly young males from AR & LA being forced to find new ground to claim as their own.

Last edited by tinman; 08-09-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #30
kurt68
Ten Point

Hunt In: Waller Co. and Rocksprings and "H"

I posted this before.
Attached Images

kurt68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #31
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

We hunt 3000 acres in Red River County and our ranch manager swears he saw one crossing a road on the property last year. FYI...it was very close to my stand. I have not seen any signs though.
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #32
TxBobcat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brazoria, Kimble counties

awesome pics!!
TxBobcat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #33
pigstikr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Latch, Texas

Casey, you dont have far to look if you are in the Naples area. We have seen tracks and other sign on our property just outside of Bryan's Mill on the Sulphur River. I have a pic of a track somewhere, I will try to find it. We first started seeing sign about 3 or 4 years ago. We have never had one come to a feeder there but we have not had a feeder running in a couple years. I believe they are there, just havent seen one for sure yet.
pigstikr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #34
BobbyB
Four Point

We used to have a lease right out of Karnes City. One night we saw what I said then was a bear crossing the highway while we were going to a cafe.

The next week, news was a bear had been seen in the area by a couple of locals.

I was hunting in New Mexico back in the 80' and we were seeing a lot of fresh bear sign. It di ad an extra element to the hunt..
Old 08-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #35
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Quote:

Look at the flip side of what you are saying. If we erradicate everything that we can't hunt that causes us some kind of aggravation or irritation what would we have then?

I am more scared of stepping on a snake than I am of running into a bear. I do understand what you are saying about them tearing things up. i doubt they will be killing many people though, only the stupid ones that try to get close for pictures or start feeding them.
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #36
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

Bears sighted on my lease between Martinsville and Aiken on Hwy 7 East of Nac. . Game Warden has told everyone, NO BEARS!!
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #37
kfd82
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
Look at the flip side of what you are saying. If we erradicate everything that we can't hunt that causes us some kind of aggravation or irritation what would we have then?
Thats just it...we ARE.
We kill every coon, hog, coyote, Mtn lion, stray dog, black panther, ect.... that we see.
Why would anyone WANT to bring in something that is/can be dangerous to us, our pets, or destructive to our homes (trash cans, storage sheds, that taco Bell wrapper left in the back seat of your car) campsites, hunting set ups, ect...

AND we are NOT allowed to hunt them!

Someone shot them all out of Texas a long time ago for a reason. (most of Texas anyway)
Old 08-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #38
canny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla

If they do start a comeback there I dont think that they will be able to be hunted. This is because they are the Lousiana Black Bear which is a subspecies of the American Black Bear and I believe that the LA Black Bear is protected. I may be wrong.
canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #39
BobbyB
Four Point

Quote:
Thats just it...we ARE.
We kill every coon, hog, coyote, Mtn lion, stray dog, black panther, ect.... that we see.
Why would anyone WANT to bring in something that is/can be dangerous to us, our pets, or destructive to our homes (trash cans, storage sheds, that taco Bell wrapper left in the back seat of your car) campsites, hunting set ups, ect...

Someone shot them all out of Texas a long time ago for a reason. (most of Texas anyway)
And the reason was??? Ignorance for the most part. The " there's a bear let's go shoot it" mentality.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #40
okhunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Tx Ok and Ks

If a bear can eat a pig I am all in. The pigs here in Wood county have to be worse than a bear could ever be about tearing things up. The pigs need a natural preditor, and hell we might actually get to hunt bears here in Texas again, instead of having to travel to Canada. Oklahoma has a bear season now, along with Arkansas and I think Lousiana.
okhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #41
tinman
Ten Point

Quote:
Thats just it...we ARE.
No offense, but speak for yourself.

Quote:
It's really not all about us. They were here before us and deserve to be restored to their native territory where the habitat exist to support them.

Quote:

Most due to over-hunting, poaching, and a healthy dose of ignorance of how to live with them...a more informed relationship with the bears could lead to huntable populations in Texas again.

Last edited by tinman; 08-09-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #42
BobbyB
Four Point

Thank you tinman!!
Old 08-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #43
FIRETX12
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County

They say to wear a bell and carry pepper spray whenever you are in bear country. You also should know the difference in black bear and grizzly bear poop. Black bear poop is small and contains small berries and flowers. Grizzly bear poop jingles and smells like pepper spray!!

I say, bring them back, maybe they will kill or run off the @#$%&^ pigs!
FIRETX12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #44
xman59
Pope & Young

anyone think about why they were all killed out years ago? i personally have mixed feelings about them,, but have very deep roots going way back in se texas, my guess is they will disppear again and for the same reasons as before
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #45
xman59
Pope & Young

Most due to over-hunting, poaching, and a healthy dose of ignorance of how to live with them...a more informed relationship with the bears could lead to huntable populations in Texas again. [/QUOTE]

so we should learn to live with terroists too?
Old 08-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #46
huntmaster
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Archer County

I have a friend in Red River Cty that has seen one in person and on game cam.
huntmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 06:53 PM   #47
tinman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman59 View Post
so we should learn to live with terroists too?
According to you, we have to learn to live with "terrorist"...the "disappearing bear" kind.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #48
Mister Bubba's bulletman
Ten Point

Hunt In: The ranch, Granger, NY, CO.

Deep, deep back in the boonies (like where you'd expect the bodies to be buried) near a hunting camp between Pittsburg and Mt Vernon around the lake we used to see tracks. That was in the late 70's and early 80's
Mister Bubba's bulletman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #49
luna-tuna
Eight Point

A confirmed sighting in Nacogdoches county last year.
luna-tuna is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #50
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman View Post
According to you, we have to learn to live with "terrorist"...the "disappearing bear" kind.
read more i said i had mixed feelings about them also... im on the fence... and whats more in my 50 plus years without bears, i havnt been at a loss for them here.. elk were native here at one time also,,,,so why not put as much money in thjem as bears and timber rattlers.... anybody actually miss the doodoo bird?

and for whats is worth i let one walk opening day last year in tyler county........