Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-07-2021, 06:22 PM   #1
Gringolevi
Four Point

Hunt In: Amistad, Colorado, Lake Whitney Fair chase public lands
Default Lake Amistad 21-22

Any news on the sheep, did they trap them all? Who all plans on hunting there this year?
Gringolevi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2021, 05:55 AM   #2
osochuck
Four Point

I have been exploring there all week, no sheep seen. Will ask tomorrow if i get by the office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
osochuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2021, 07:16 AM   #3
Gringolevi
Four Point

Sounds good, maybe if the mouflon are gone for good the aoudad will
Be around more
Old 09-10-2021, 03:20 PM   #4
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringolevi View Post
Sounds good, maybe if the mouflon are gone for good the aoudad will
Be around more
IME they don't really intermingle hunt areas.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2021, 03:34 PM   #5
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
IME they don't really intermingle hunt areas.
FYI San Pedro camp grounds are open as of this morning when I went by there. Unfortunately, with water levels what they are the water in nowhere near the camp ground area.

For those wondering about the mouflon, numbers are down but there should be some in area 5. That will probably change as soon as hunters start chasing them back into private property at the start of the season.

Good luck to all hunting on amistad this year. Injury issues permitting, I plan to hunt often this year.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2021, 03:40 PM   #6
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
FYI San Pedro camp grounds are open as of this morning when I went by there. Unfortunately, with water levels what they are the water in nowhere near the camp ground area.

For those wondering about the mouflon, numbers are down but there should be some in area 5. That will probably change as soon as hunters start chasing them back into private property at the start of the season.

Good luck to all hunting on amistad this year. Injury issues permitting, I plan to hunt often this year.
Thanks for the update! I actually prefer it that way, keeps casual campers outa my campground LOL. I don't normally go until November but we might actually make an early October trip this year, trying to weasel out of it still!
Old 09-10-2021, 09:15 PM   #7
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

Can you deer hunt there?
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2021, 09:26 PM   #8
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
Can you deer hunt there?
Yes dear are probably the preferred target species although in the last 3-4 years lots of folks went out there to chase mouflons in hunting area 5...
Old 09-11-2021, 12:02 PM   #9
Hunter3998
Nubbin' Buck

How is the deer population on amistad.
Hunter3998 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2021, 08:26 PM   #10
liberaltears
Nubbin' Buck

Super excited to hunt out there this year. Any tips on sheep hunting? I've never done it and not even Dr. Google has much to say about free-range mouflon hunting.
liberaltears is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2021, 07:24 AM   #11
Gringolevi
Four Point

Well I wonder if they will close all the hunting areas?
Old 09-23-2021, 11:07 AM   #12
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well I wonder if they will close all the hunting areas?
That would be a shame. We've already got several trips planned and a buddy already put in two separate weeks of vacation for hunts down there. Did you hear some rumblings or something?
Old 09-23-2021, 11:48 AM   #13
Briar Friar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberaltears View Post
Super excited to hunt out there this year. Any tips on sheep hunting? I've never done it and not even Dr. Google has much to say about free-range mouflon hunting.
If there are several trucks on unit 5…park on the north side parking area and stalk to this point. Offset from the point a bit to the north to get a broadside. Take cover and wait. The moofies will be pushed your way from west to east and they seem to habitually scramble up this finger. Get ready for a running shot. I often see them pause just after the scrub trees but before the scrub brush on that finger.

The moofies bed on the leeward (east) side of the canyon faces further into the unit.

I havent seen a decent sized ram in several years. Maybe because I typically only get out there end of season in late Jan or early Feb.
Attached Images

Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2021, 11:35 AM   #14
Gringolevi
Four Point

Anyone hunt this weekend? Are they even giving out permits?
Old 10-03-2021, 12:01 PM   #15
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes Sir permits are being sold… you can contact the office and do it over the phone I believe or on line…
I am still trying to get proficient with trad equipment so have not gone out there yet….
Old 10-03-2021, 01:33 PM   #16
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Too hot lol... I hunted once in October, ended up sitting out there without a shirt with my boots off.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:35 PM   #17
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Too hot lol... I hunted once in October, ended up sitting out there without a shirt with my boots off.
^^^This everyone needs to stay away until December
Old 10-03-2021, 03:17 PM   #18
Gringolevi
Four Point

Haha, yes no one go until Mid December. I was out last year and killed a ram mid day and it sure was miserable packing it out in the heat.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:19 PM   #19
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land

Quote:

You got eyes on ‘em? What kinda numbers you seeing?
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2021, 07:29 PM   #20
donpablo
Ten Point

Pedernal? Did you see 'em?
Old 10-07-2021, 07:33 PM   #21
Pedernal
Pope & Young

I have seen a few in 5… No real big numbers… just a few ewes walking around…

Take it for what it’s worth as I haven’t been out there much…
Old 10-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #22
donpablo
Ten Point

Thumbs up

Quote:
I have seen a few in 5… No real big numbers… just a few ewes walking around…

Take it for what it’s worth as I haven’t been out there much…
Awesome! Thank you, sir!
Old 10-08-2021, 10:04 PM   #23
Gringolevi
Four Point

Last year early I seen pretty good numbers went back later didn't even see any on private, then was told they netted them all and took them to sale in Harper. Has anyone seen any around after I would say mid December? Was planning to head down Sunday for a few days
Old 10-14-2021, 12:18 PM   #24
huntozarks
Spike

I know this is an old thread, but I killed 2 good rams in there the last 2 years, I have plans to go back in January, why did they haul them out

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk
huntozarks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 11:01 PM   #25
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

So the mouflon still go back to hunt area 5? When I first hunted there, the neighbors made a hole in the fence, on the west side and then pushed them all out, onto the ranch to the west. My first trip out there, was kind of interesting. I had no interest in shooting a ram, I was after deer had no clue about the place. Turns out there were about seven guys chasing a large heard of the rams. I was heading straight towards the back. Got about 300 yards into the hunt area. Then came over a hill, and saw some hunters in the distance, that looked like they were after something. So I tried to figure out what they were doing and figure out which way to go, to not screw up their hunt. then saw a huge heard of mouflon coming up out of a canyon right to me. Then saw some more hunters on the other side of the canyon, moving my direction. The rams kept coming straight towards me, so I got down in some sage brush and tried to stay out of sight. I wanted to watch the show. The rams stopped and looked my direction for a good while, the guys on the other side of the canyon had stopped and got low also. I think they thought I was going to shoot a ram. Eventually those guys got up and started moving towards the rams, so the rams kept moving towards me, then around me. I had plenty of opportunity to shoot one. I really had no interest in shooting one. The majority of the heard came within 30 yards of me.

Turns out there were a more guys chasing the rams than I realized. After the heard went past me, hunters kept going past, after the rams. So I tried to guess where they were going and get away from the whole deal.

I hiked most of hunt area number 5 that first day. Kept seeing the heard of rams, and hunters chasing them. I think two guys got rams that morning, maybe three. I could have easily got one. I could have killed one, within a hour of first walking into the place, and had no idea anything about the place.

I went back out there and hunted hunt area number 5 for about the next three or four weeks. Every time I went, there were fewer rams. On one trip, I found a deep canyon, with steep walls, I think on the north side of that hunt area. Cool looking canyon. Then I saw five large round things in the bottom of the canyon, where there was a sharp bend in the canyon. At first I had no idea what I was looking at. Then got my binoculars out and realized it was five really big old rams, much bigger than any I had seen in the heard.

Seeing how big those rams were, and having not had seen anything inside of 100 yards, since that first day out there. I decided I was going to try and get down in the bottom of the canyon and try to shoot one of those big rams. About as soon as I had that thought, all five stood up, looked around and took off around that bend in the canyon. I saw that group of rams twice more, that was the end of that. Never saw those five again. Then never saw any of the heard again.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 11:12 PM   #26
huntozarks
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
So the mouflon still go back to hunt area 5? When I first hunted there, the neighbors made a hole in the fence, on the west side and then pushed them all out, onto the ranch to the west. My first trip out there, was kind of interesting. I had no interest in shooting a ram, I was after deer had no clue about the place. Turns out there were about seven guys chasing a large heard of the rams. I was heading straight towards the back. Got about 300 yards into the hunt area. Then came over a hill, and saw some hunters in the distance, that looked like they were after something. So I tried to figure out what they were doing and figure out which way to go, to not screw up their hunt. then saw a huge heard of mouflon coming up out of a canyon right to me. Then saw some more hunters on the other side of the canyon, moving my direction. The rams kept coming straight towards me, so I got down in some sage brush and tried to stay out of sight. I wanted to watch the show. The rams stopped and looked my direction for a good while, the guys on the other side of the canyon had stopped and got low also. I think they thought I was going to shoot a ram. Eventually those guys got up and started moving towards the rams, so the rams kept moving towards me, then around me. I had plenty of opportunity to shoot one. I really had no interest in shooting one. The majority of the heard came within 30 yards of me.

Turns out there were a more guys chasing the rams than I realized. After the heard went past me, hunters kept going past, after the rams. So I tried to guess where they were going and get away from the whole deal.

I hiked most of hunt area number 5 that first day. Kept seeing the heard of rams, and hunters chasing them. I think two guys got rams that morning, maybe three. I could have easily got one. I could have killed one, within a hour of first walking into the place, and had no idea anything about the place.

I went back out there and hunted hunt area number 5 for about the next three or four weeks. Every time I went, there were fewer rams. On one trip, I found a deep canyon, with steep walls, I think on the north side of that hunt area. Cool looking canyon. Then I saw five large round things in the bottom of the canyon, where there was a sharp bend in the canyon. At first I had no idea what I was looking at. Then got my binoculars out and realized it was five really big old rams, much bigger than any I had seen in the heard.

Seeing how big those rams were, and having not had seen anything inside of 100 yards, since that first day out there. I decided I was going to try and get down in the bottom of the canyon and try to shoot one of those big rams. About as soon as I had that thought, all five stood up, looked around and took off around that bend in the canyon. I saw that group of rams twice more, that was the end of that. Never saw those five again. Then never saw any of the heard again.
When were you out there last?

Old 10-15-2021, 09:50 AM   #27
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntozarks View Post
When were you out there last?

My first trip out there was back around 1998, I hunted there till about 2005 or 2006. Then only hunted hunt area 5, for about the first month that I hunted out there. Then started trying some of the other hunt areas. I hunted out there till 2005, I remember that's the year that fuel prices took off and went over $3.00 a gallon. I was working for a company that paid us mileage and they refused to pay us any more per mile, but gas went from $1.60 upwards of $1.80, to over $3.50 a gallon. My truck did not get very good gas mileage. They were not paying me anywhere near enough money to cover my monthly fuel bills.

Because the fuel prices, I quit going out there. Before the fuel prices went up, I was going out there every weekend, during the season. Then almost completely stopped in 2005. I think I made one or two trips out there in 2006. Then 2007, I had the accident, that put a end to all of my hunting for a couple of years. I never went back, keep saying I want to go back, but I have to get a smaller truck, that gets a lot better fuel mileage.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 10:12 AM   #28
huntozarks
Spike

10/4, I'm thinking about another trip down there this January, but I want to make sure that there are sheep down there before I drive 13 hours, iv hunted down there the last 2 years, both times I saw at least 150 sheep, and this past year we hunted #4 and my brother killed a nice aoudad on the first evening, he won't be going with me this year, if anyone wants to come down and share a camp and hunt that would be awesome, my schedule is flexible but I'm thinking about sometime during the first 3 weeks of January

Old 10-15-2021, 07:53 PM   #29
Gringolevi
Four Point

Nice kills. I'll update after I go Monday if there are any sheep
Old 10-16-2021, 02:21 AM   #30
huntozarks
Spike

Quote:
Nice kills. I'll update after I go Monday if there are any sheep
Awesome, are deer tags down there over the counter? cause if numbers of sheep are down I might try WT a little if I come down, I really want an aoudad this year too

Old 10-16-2021, 02:26 AM   #31
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Awesome, are deer tags down there over the counter? cause if numbers of sheep are down I might try WT a little if I come down, I really want an aoudad this year too

Yep, $20 permit you can hunt whatever's legal out there.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:58 AM   #32
osochuck
Four Point

Update
Permit is $40

osochuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #33
huntozarks
Spike

Quote:
Yep, $20 permit you can hunt whatever's legal out there.
You don't have to buy deer tags? When I was out there in 2020 I had a mid 150s 9 point come about 48 yards, didn't shoot cause I thought I had to have a special deer license and tags

Old 10-16-2021, 10:29 AM   #34
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
You don't have to buy deer tags? When I was out there in 2020 I had a mid 150s 9 point come about 48 yards, didn't shoot cause I thought I had to have a special deer license and tags

You must have/buy a state hunting license to hunt on Amistad…. The deer tags are included in the state hunting license. The permit to hunt amistad is in addition to the state hunting license.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:31 AM   #35
huntozarks
Spike

Yeah, I got the $48 5 day non resident license, I understood that it was for exotics only

Old 10-16-2021, 12:45 PM   #36
texaswoods5
Ten Point

Hunt In: hays, or where ever i can

nice one
texaswoods5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2021, 01:01 PM   #37
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yeah, I got the $48 5 day non resident license, I understood that it was for exotics only

I believe you can purchase a 5 - day none resident exotic only and a 5 day none-resident that includes all game animals i.e. deer. Obviously that one that includes all game will be more expensive…
Old 10-16-2021, 01:04 PM   #38
huntozarks
Spike

Ok

Old 10-16-2021, 11:14 PM   #39
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by osochuck View Post
Update
Permit is $40

Dammit freakin 100% Bidenflation.

Quote:

I didn't realize you're an NR.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:04 AM   #40
donpablo
Ten Point

Thumbs up

Quote:
I believe you can purchase a 5 - day none resident exotic only and a 5 day none-resident that includes all game animals i.e. deer. Obviously that one that includes all game will be more expensive…
They don’t offer a 5 day license for big game. You can buy the full non-game license with deer tags over the counter though. Those rams are studs. Y’all have skills to shoot those on your first trip out. Congrats!
Old 10-18-2021, 05:45 AM   #41
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
I ^^^ don’t believe this is correct ^^^.

Quote:
Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
They don’t offer a 5 day license for big game. You can buy the full non-game license with deer tags over the counter though. Those rams are studs. Y’all have skills to shoot those on your first trip out. Congrats!
^^^ This right here is correct. They don’t offer a 5day NR with tags…. Dang, I need my reading glasses bad when on the phone.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:39 PM   #42
Gringolevi
Four Point

Went to unit 5 this morning. Didn't see any sheep or fresh sheep sign. Seen lots of doe. Scanned the private land where they usually hang out and none there either. Guess they did net them all and sent them to sale
Old 10-18-2021, 01:06 PM   #43
huntozarks
Spike

Quote:
Went to unit 5 this morning. Didn't see any sheep or fresh sheep sign. Seen lots of doe. Scanned the private land where they usually hang out and none there either. Guess they did net them all and sent them to sale
Well there went those plan, I'm still planning on coming down to chase aoudad on 4 unless they took them all off too

Old 10-18-2021, 01:07 PM   #44
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well there went those plan, I'm still planning on coming down to chase aoudad on 4 unless they took them all off too

You probably already know but figured I'd mention since you mentioned being a non-resident that area 4 needs a boat (or a kayak or canoe or whatever) to access it. Just making sure so there's no surprises when you get there.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:14 PM   #45
huntozarks
Spike

Quote:
You probably already know but figured I'd mention since you mentioned being a non-resident that area 4 needs a boat (or a kayak or canoe or whatever) to access it. Just making sure so there's no surprises when you get there.
Yup I was aware, thank you though for checking up, we used kayaks last year and it worked pretty well, if anyone wants to come down and share a camp and a boat then that would suit me :grin

Old 11-20-2021, 02:02 PM   #46
justletmein
Pope & Young

It's time fellas! Always take pics at my favorite Subway in Brackettville. Lol
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2021, 02:10 PM   #47
Pedernal
Pope & Young

^^^^ I don’t see the amistad ramp sticker on there… don’t make me call the park service on you.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:47 PM   #48
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
^^^^ I don’t see the amistad ramp sticker on there… don’t make me call the park service on you.
Lol Port side!
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2021, 04:16 PM   #49
gemini2759
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jim Hogg, public land

Good luck Joshua.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2021, 05:34 PM   #50
justletmein
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini2759 View Post
Good luck Joshua.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
Thank you sir! Got my baby boy with me setup in our spots from last year. Buddy just text he got to camp and getting us setup there. Wife incoming early tomorrow morning after work and my middle boy inbound on Thursday. It's gonna be a heck of a time! Thanksgiving Turkey in camp with all the fixins, Elk in the sous vide tomorrow, making me hungry already I'd better shut up...