Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-10-2021, 01:42 PM   #101
dbpredator
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lamar county

For the public land hunters, what do yall look for when scouting or looking for a spot to hunt? We've never been able to really find any ducks (except a few wood ducks or after the big freeze) on big water.

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk
dbpredator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2021, 02:13 PM   #102
js4242
Six Point

Hunt In: Eastland Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpredator View Post
For the public land hunters, what do yall look for when scouting or looking for a spot to hunt? We've never been able to really find any ducks (except a few wood ducks or after the big freeze) on big water.

The smart butt answer ducks.
The real answer - Skinny water and food for puddle ducks. If you don't have food you have a loafing spot or rest area at best. You might want to try different times as well. Some areas I hunt have a later flight and they don't come in at first light. Some areas I know I'm shooting at legal and done soon thereafter. I have a spot I know produces late and guys give up and we shoot limits. It sucks we need to still get there at 0 dark thirty and wait around, but we are typically rewarded for the effort.
js4242 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2021, 02:58 PM   #103
Tex21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina, Val Verde Counties

Quote:

Feathers, Shotgun shells(reason i try to pick all my hulls up), food. If you can take a boat just go sit somewhere you can see a long ways and watch the flight path ducks are using. Then ease around to you find the exact spot they are at.
Tex21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2021, 03:06 PM   #104
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

Jacked the duck boat trailer up out of the mud yesterday! Will clean it up and take it to get the carb cleaned up after I change out the gas! I said I was gonna use it 4 years ago and did the same and itís been sitting there since! Might try and make a trip or 2 with it this year. Been kinda spoiled on hunting private land potholes what little bit I still do! Miss chasing dark geese though. Still have all my stuff. Need to get that spread back in the ground before too long if nothing else to knock the dust off it!
Slew is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2021, 07:27 PM   #105
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew View Post
Jacked the duck boat trailer up out of the mud yesterday! Will clean it up and take it to get the carb cleaned up after I change out the gas! I said I was gonna use it 4 years ago and did the same and itís been sitting there since! Might try and make a trip or 2 with it this year. Been kinda spoiled on hunting private land potholes what little bit I still do! Miss chasing dark geese though. Still have all my stuff. Need to get that spread back in the ground before too long if nothing else to knock the dust off it!

You sound like me and my boat, and fishing.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2021, 07:36 PM   #106
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:

dp, what kind of public you hunting? Don't have to give location. Big water lakes? WMA? Rivers? Coastal? Ect.

I try to watch for birds starting 3 weeks in advance. Keep up with local activity. And watch the weather for fronts from the north. Big fronts will push the birds down starting a day or so in advance. After you get to know a body of water pretty good, you'll know what you can do even when someone else sets up on a spot you were going to be on. As mentioned, knowing the flight paths makes a huge difference. Sometimes the paths can change slightly through the season. So take note of what you see while out during the season. And take note of the wind direction and speed for that day. Pressure in one spot can wear it out too. Plus, if others see you shooting a lot at one spot, it might get hard to get it at a future date. I've got some spots that are somewhat wind sheltered, pending wind speed. If the wind is high enough, the birds head there (coves, creeks, slews). If the wind is light, I'm out in a more open areas like beeches and points where the birds can see my spreads from greater distances.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 08-10-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:38 PM   #107
Buck hunter332
Eight Point

Hunt In: The water

Quote:

Food water and a good hide. Just dont be that guy that calls scouting running around blowing every bird off the feed.can get a lot done with binos and watching flight patterns
Buck hunter332 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2021, 08:00 AM   #108
dbpredator
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lamar county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
dp, what kind of public you hunting? Don't have to give location. Big water lakes? WMA? Rivers? Coastal? Ect.

I try to watch for birds starting 3 weeks in advance. Keep up with local activity. And watch the weather for fronts from the north. Big fronts will push the birds down starting a day or so in advance. After you get to know a body of water pretty good, you'll know what you can do even when someone else sets up on a spot you were going to be on. As mentioned, knowing the flight paths makes a huge difference. Sometimes the paths can change slightly through the season. So take note of what you see while out during the season. And take note of the wind direction and speed for that day. Pressure in one spot can wear it out too. Plus, if others see you shooting a lot at one spot, it might get hard to get it at a future date. I've got some spots that are somewhat wind sheltered, pending wind speed. If the wind is high enough, the birds head there (coves, creeks, slews). If the wind is light, I'm out in a more open areas like beeches and points where the birds can see my spreads from greater distances.
We hunt a WMA but I'd like to get into big water lakes more as well.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'm excited to try to get on some ducks this season!

dbpredator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2021, 07:17 PM   #109
CTR0022
Ten Point

https://youtu.be/FOIYM85-Rt8
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2021, 12:48 PM   #110
gatorgar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: everywhere and anywhere you invite me to :)

Been driving up and down the coast and up into Oklahoma. I haven't seen the amount of birds I usually do at this time. Hopefully they'll start moving in soon

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
gatorgar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2021, 01:41 PM   #111
CTR0022
Ten Point

Seen reports of a few teal showing up, should have alot more after this months full moon.
Old 08-14-2021, 01:53 PM   #112
Pin Oak DXT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wharton County
Default 2021-2022 Duck Hunting Thread

The fall flight forecast released by Delta Waterfowl is concerning. Very little duck production occurred this summer due to extreme drought in the Dakotas and Canada. Many birds never even attempted to nest. If you all have been following this story since April, the pond count in the prairie pothole region alone was down 82% year over year. The lack of young birds this year will require our best effort as guides/hunters. If this drought persists into next spring/summer we will likely see a 3 bird limit in 2022/2023.

Some positive news is around blue wing and green wing production. They are the earliest nesters and they appear to have utilized what little water was available in the late spring. Not a great hatch by any stretch but respectable. Mallards and pintails appear to not had any success. Redheads recruitment was poor as well. Gadwall counts remain really strong although nesting success was not fully understood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pin Oak DXT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2021, 02:15 PM   #113
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
The fall flight forecast released by Delta Waterfowl is concerning. Very little duck production occurred this summer due to extreme drought in the Dakotas and Canada. Many birds never even attempted to nest. If you all have been following this story since April, the pond count in the prairie pothole region alone was down 82% year over year. The lack of young birds this year will require our best effort as guides/hunters. If this drought persists into next spring/summer we will likely see a 3 bird limit in 2022/2023.

Some positive news is around blue wing and green wing production. They are the earliest nesters and they appear to have utilized what little water was available in the late spring. Not a great hatch by any stretch but respectable. Mallards and pintails appear to not had any success. Redheads recruitment was poor as well. Gadwall counts remain really strong although nesting success was not fully understood.

Disappointing but part of it! I wish they could drop the limits for this season.

I wonder how it impacted goose reproduction? Wish it would hurt the snows somehow but theyíre much further north.
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2021, 02:28 PM   #114
Pin Oak DXT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wharton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk89 View Post
Disappointing but part of it! I wish they could drop the limits for this season.

I wonder how it impacted goose reproduction? Wish it would hurt the snows somehow but theyíre much further north.

Not sure about geese but they typically nest much further north, like Alaska and the Arctic circle (especially snows and specks). I think habitat was normal in that area so probably a good hatch.

Pin Oak DXT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2021, 09:20 PM   #115
Canoe1
Ten Point

Anyone finding steel shot anywhere?
I have enough to get me going, but haven't seen much, just mainly 3-1/2", guessing it's left overs from last year.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Canoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2021, 09:34 PM   #116
gatorgar
Pope & Young

I'm thinking of using my 20 for teal. Running low on 12g

Old 08-14-2021, 10:42 PM   #117
CTR0022
Ten Point

Lots of 3.5" steel out there and alittle bit of 3"steel.

But if your like me and like a particular brand and shot size bc that is what you have patterned through your gun good luck finding it. Not alot of options availinle right now. I hope it gets better in the next month or so.
Old 08-14-2021, 10:52 PM   #118
Buck hunter332
Eight Point

Gonna be a banger teal season teal already showing up and lots of food around
Old 08-14-2021, 10:56 PM   #119
Buck hunter332
Eight Point

If anyone would like to take along this year lmk
Old 08-15-2021, 01:12 AM   #120
gatorgar
Pope & Young

We should be set up with lodging already. What are y'all's plans?

Old 08-16-2021, 10:34 AM   #121
MooseontheLoose
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe1 View Post
Anyone finding steel shot anywhere?
I have enough to get me going, but haven't seen much, just mainly 3-1/2", guessing it's left overs from last year.
I've been in both Bass Pro and Academy in SA within the last week and have seen steel shot in both places. Academy had a decent number of boxes of Hevi-Steel on Friday. Bass Pro had a few boxes of steel but most of what they had on the shelf were the bismuth and tungsten loads. Neither have had much until recently, so it's starting to show back up.
MooseontheLoose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2021, 04:03 PM   #122
Txpepper
Ten Point

Hunt In: everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck hunter332 View Post
I would be interested. I have a boat, duck dog and dekes. Where are you located?
Txpepper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2021, 05:33 PM   #123
Matthewc131
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas Coast, Central & East Texas

Seeing if you guys can Help me out!!
I got a 1979 Evinrude 70 hp that I'd like to get running before the second half of the season but it needs some work. Can anyone recommend a reliable boat mechanics???
anywhere from Huntsville down to Galveston?

Last edited by Matthewc131; 08-18-2021 at 05:43 PM.
Matthewc131 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2021, 08:13 PM   #124
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

I be ready for everything! And some more not shown in the pics. Waiting on a Steel Master to show up. Already got all the components for reloading too.

Name:  20210818_190822.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  73.6 KBName:  20210818_190904.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  109.6 KB

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
Old 08-22-2021, 01:11 PM   #125
gatorgar
Pope & Young

Shotguns are clean and chokes replaced. Have 4 boxes 12g and 5 20g. Looking for 410 steel now.
Have 2dz mixed teal floaters, 2 ripplers and 2 mojo with new batteries.
Still debating, am I going to wear shorts or waders? Too hot for waders, but I'm slightly allergic to hydrilla.

I'm an over the road driver and am going to stay out till the 6th or 7th so wanted to get ready before the day of. Anyone else prepping already?

Old 08-22-2021, 03:00 PM   #126
Slew
Pope & Young

I’ll probably get excited about ducks once I start seeing em crappie fishing. That said the fishing is awesome in the fall! I’m debating selling my ProDrive rig but my wife tells me little man will be a teenager soon and mad his dad sold the duckboat when he wants to go. She’s probably right, I just hate seeing it sit there. Maybe plan some trips OOS and drag it along. I’m not gonna fight the public land crowds in E Tx. I’m not that mad at em anymore but I sure used to be!! I had a X Catastrophe team manager on a trip the other day and we got to talking about storms and I told him I turned down an ice storm in 2007 because I was too close to killing 1000 ducks on hunts I went on to go to work! I told my boss call me in a week and I will be ready. Killed 1007 that season and got called out to work while we were taking the pics! That year was awesome! He laughed and said he heard the story of a guy who turned down stupid money to kill ducks but didn’t know who he was. Missed a week at thanksgiving. A week and Christmas and the last 2 weeks of season but we went all over. Teal hunted Texas. Then went to N Dakota. Then west Texas and Texas along with Oklahoma and Arkansas. That was all pre kids!!

Last edited by Slew; 08-22-2021 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:09 PM   #127
CTR0022
Ten Point

As a group yall shot a thousand birds or you personally shot that?
Old 08-22-2021, 03:22 PM   #128
CTR0022
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgar View Post
Shotguns are clean and chokes replaced. Have 4 boxes 12g and 5 20g. Looking for 410 steel now.
Have 2dz mixed teal floaters, 2 ripplers and 2 mojo with new batteries.
Still debating, am I going to wear shorts or waders? Too hot for waders, but I'm slightly allergic to hydrilla.

I'm an over the road driver and am going to stay out till the 6th or 7th so wanted to get ready before the day of. Anyone else prepping already?

Yep got the gun cleaned up and ready to go.

I wear waders to keep the mosquitos bites to a minimum.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:49 PM   #129
Slew
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR0022 View Post
As a group yall shot a thousand birds or you personally shot that?
Hunts I went on as a group! Donít go internet game warden on me! 60 days times 6 ducks!!
Old 08-22-2021, 05:25 PM   #130
Buck hunter332
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txpepper View Post
I would be interested. I have a boat, duck dog and dekes. Where are you located?
Pm sent
Old 08-23-2021, 07:58 AM   #131
zac221
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas and Burnet county

I may try to re post this in this thread a couple times. Any chance you waterfowl guys can keep your 3Ē or bigger hulls? Iím considering reloading next year and those are booger to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
zac221 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2021, 08:08 AM   #132
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Hunts I went on as a group! Donít go internet game warden on me! 60 days times 6 ducks!!
Did you say you did that with lead also?
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2021, 09:00 AM   #133
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Looks like the GFS model is predicting a solid Cat 2 or 3 hurricane to smack houston Sept 5-6th.

That’s about on time to mess up the yearly dove opener weekend and would push around the teal already showing up.
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2021, 10:45 AM   #134
gatorgar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac221 View Post
I may try to re post this in this thread a couple times. Any chance you waterfowl guys can keep your 3Ē or bigger hulls? Iím considering reloading next year and those are booger to find.

Just remind us as the day gets closer. We usually just throw them in a sack and then into a dumpster. How many are you looking to get?

I've been thinking of reloading as well. If you don't mind, which press are you running and where are you getting your components from?
Thanks

Old 08-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #135
Slew
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Did you say you did that with lead also?
Only when water swatting flocks at night with the punt gun! That suckers old, don't want to mess up that barrel with steel shot!
Old 08-23-2021, 12:19 PM   #136
Sinkey
Eight Point

Hunt In: Back 40 - Como, TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post

These are the same guys last year that said 2020/21 was going to be a great hunting season. IT was one of the worst. I wouldn't go off anything they say.
Sinkey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2021, 12:29 PM   #137
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Only when water swatting flocks at night with the punt gun! That suckers old, don't want to mess up that barrel with steel shot!
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2021, 01:16 PM   #138
Tex21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina, Val Verde Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinkey View Post
These are the same guys last year that said 2020/21 was going to be a great hunting season. IT was one of the worst. I wouldn't go off anything they say.
Just because most of Texas didnt have a great season doesnt mean other states didnt. I know people in Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, etc that smashed birds. Delta bases their prediction on the hatch but they cant control the weather that pushes birds down. Everybody in the waterfowl world has been saying a terrible year is coming do to the drought in the Dakotas.
Tex21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2021, 01:42 PM   #139
Sinkey
Eight Point

Hunt In: Back 40 - Como, TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex21 View Post
Just because most of Texas didnt have a great season doesnt mean other states didnt. I know people in Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, etc that smashed birds. Delta bases their prediction on the hatch but they cant control the weather that pushes birds down. Everybody in the waterfowl world has been saying a terrible year is coming do to the drought in the Dakotas.
I know "some" did. We even had some good hunts here. But all the guys I hunt with in Northern Oklahoma and Arkansas.....it was WAY below average. You are right about weather, but here is a news flash....DU and Delta Waterfowl dont control weather. And the only ones barking about the Dakotahs is DW. First it was a 39 day season. Now 3 duck limits. I hope they do go back to 3 ducks.
But you watch.....if "weather" cooperates this year, you will see numbers go way back up. My farm in East Texas was loaded right before that big freeze after season. We never got those hard freezes up North last year that really pushes birds down. Until February.
Sinkey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2021, 02:19 PM   #140
gatorgar
Pope & Young

Looks like I am shooting Monarch this year. Just glad I was able to at least find this

Old 08-23-2021, 03:19 PM   #141
zac221
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas and Burnet county

Quote:
Just remind us as the day gets closer. We usually just throw them in a sack and then into a dumpster. How many are you looking to get?

I've been thinking of reloading as well. If you don't mind, which press are you running and where are you getting your components from?
Thanks

Not sure of site off top of my head but hulls is hardest part in recipe to find. Hoping to do 3Ē #3 or #4. According to my math $19 ish for a 10lb sack of shot equaled 128 loaded at 1.25oz. Iíve got two presses already. So may order a couple sacks of shot and wads to tinker with it. Reading you can do roughly $9.50-10 for 25 shells. Not too sure if thatís accurate but if I have a ton of components I donít have to panic buy haha

zac221 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2021, 09:40 PM   #142
gatorgar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac221 View Post
Not sure of site off top of my head but hulls is hardest part in recipe to find. Hoping to do 3Ē #3 or #4. According to my math $19 ish for a 10lb sack of shot equaled 128 loaded at 1.25oz. Iíve got two presses already. So may order a couple sacks of shot and wads to tinker with it. Reading you can do roughly $9.50-10 for 25 shells. Not too sure if thatís accurate but if I have a ton of components I donít have to panic buy haha

Keep us posted

Old 08-23-2021, 11:05 PM   #143
DKirk
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck hunter332 View Post
I need to take you up on it this year of my schedule allows it.
DKirk is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2021, 11:07 PM   #144
DKirk
Ten Point

Anyone used the divebomb silhouettes in the marsh? I have some pintail Iím going to throw in my spread this season.
Old 08-24-2021, 12:57 AM   #145
CJ776
Eight Point

Hunt In: Baylor County

Quote:
Looks like I am shooting Monarch this year. Just glad I was able to at least find this

Canít dose out the medicine without any pills. Youíll kill em dead. May have to give em an extra pill on the way down lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CJ776 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2021, 04:31 AM   #146
Alderrg
Four Point

Hunt In: Llano / Trinity Bay

We use the socks and silhouettes mixed in with our spread. Works better for us late season when the tides are low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKirk View Post
Anyone used the divebomb silhouettes in the marsh? I have some pintail Iím going to throw in my spread this season.
Alderrg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2021, 09:31 PM   #147
CTR0022
Ten Point

Anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to ship ducks/meat while on an out of state hunt.

Will be flying up to Mass on a seaduck hunt in January. Should I bring a cooler and just fly the meat/birds home with me? Or ship it via ups overnight?

I figure either way will be expensive.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:44 AM   #148
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Seeing Teal and couple spoonies in chambers county
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2021, 08:05 AM   #149
No-Tox
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

Worked on trying to keep ahead of the beavers this past weekend. ****, it was hot out there.
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2021, 08:57 AM   #150
DKirk
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR0022 View Post
Anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to ship ducks/meat while on an out of state hunt.

Will be flying up to Mass on a seaduck hunt in January. Should I bring a cooler and just fly the meat/birds home with me? Or ship it via ups overnight?

I figure either way will be expensive.
Can you check it on the plane? One of the heavier duty styrofoam coolers and dry ice?