Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-02-2021, 06:26 PM   #1151
Jerryg
Ten Point

Rob, you down in Rockport often?

Jerryg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jerryg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2021, 07:25 PM   #1152
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

LOL thanks!

SaltwaterSlick - I just walked around and counted rods and reels

47 rods
66 reels

Fly
Offshore
Spin
Cast
Ultralight
Surf

I have a spare bedroom - wall to wall to the ceiling in tackle and tackle storage.

I have plastic baits from the 80s to now - The Original Kelly's and Cocahoes and Mirolures and a Bingo or two from the 60s - 70s

And the rods are all custom built by me and a couple dozen or two more for my dear fishing buddies who share time offshore when we can plan to do so.

6 years old to now - started building rods at 12 years old - the original rod blank - a Calcutta bamboo rod blank from India - when surf rods from Fenwick and Harrington/Harnell builds - first came onto the scene - modernizing surf fishing and distance casting.

I talked to my old High School friend a few months ago - and we were catching up on life issues. His wife was murdered in Houston back in June - tough times - we were all kids together.

But - we finally got to talking about our lives......and those days as innocent kids.

He told me - I was raised on the Gulf Coast Fishing pier. All summer during our summer breaks - every weekend - Dad drove me to Galveston (Pearland was 7500 people then) and SEA ARAMA (sp?) was one of the first fish and porpoise aquariums around and it was right there at the pier. Friday afternoon - to Sunday afternoon - all summer long, till I was able to drive myself there - then I hauled friends off and on - those who wanted to learn and experience something they never really tried.

And they bought surf rods and started fishing as we all grew and moved on.

When I couldn't get to the beach - I fished every body of water around Brazoria County I could find. Fly spin and cast - weekends were hard core surf casting.

I'll close. During the 90s, Coast Guard days in Corpus, I went to Bob Hall Pier - no rods - just felt I had to check out the Kingfish run with guys using highline rigs with two rods and live bait. As I watched, a guy a bit older than me walked up and stood next to me.

I looked over and said hello and he did likewise - then we talked about Texas surf fishing. He was named Jackie Borelleno - one of the older guys on the Gulf Coast Pier who ran with another close friend of his Frank. Both of these guys kept tabs on me as I lived on the pier for days at a pop - sleeping under my rods rigged - clicker wake up call.

The old Galveston salts, Jackie and Frankie where the younger guys who were raised with some of that areas best surf anglers - all custom rods - all of them either built or were in the process of learning to build as they had others build for them.

Jackie remembered many of my standout fights and so many different species Tarpon (hooked and never landed) Kings, Rays, Sharks Reds - the entire list of upper coast species and I was the only guy anyone knew to that date that managed to catch a flying fish off that pier on a night that in water so clear, you could see the bottom in 10ft of water - the entire pier length. Huge specks with lock jaw everywhere - it was one of those nights where you see everything and go nuts trying to hook anything - water too clear and no waves - silence.

We said goodbye and goodluck - he was down from Galveston visiting family and i went home for another round of family and work the following day.

I remember fishing with Oz, when Oz was young and learning - still living in Austin. Got into snook with him at Port Mansfield N jetty one night - he left right before that first fish bit. He was looking for them as well - but got pressed with the old Kayak group, when Extreme Coast was in the beginning stages.

Befriended Billy Sandifer and Nick from Breakaway. They always stop and say high - bless you Billy! And even our own PocoBueno - and I - stop and get updated when we see each other on the sand.

So proud of him taking Sharkathon a few years ago. I can feel real good about the new group of anglers - who are building on a world I've lived all my life.

And the 20 years in the USCG - had me fishing the entire time - I've learned so much with so much more to learn.

I will try to remember everything I've hooked - it's nuts now in reflection. The diversity as well as techniques - all salt - and even today - I have friends who are hard core as they were when I was a kid and young man.

Hatteras - I fished Avon Fishing Pier the world record redfish - this is it. Larry Hack sponsored by Fenwick, Stren & ABU Garcia - was a standout distance surf casting competitor. He helped Fenwick develop the SURF STICK. Fiberglass top and graphite butt for long distance casting and he modified the first generation ABU 7000s - all had level winds - ripping it all out and replacing that with custom fit brass cage frame bars for strength - custom leaders to take the shock and he would pendulum cast 200 yards with me about 40 yards behind him - casting old school. The ABU7500 CT Big Game was Larry's involvement with ABU and surf casting tuned reels of that era. Magnets were yet to come.

He walked up to me the first time he fished with me, I hadn't seen him make a cast yet and though popping off a 175 yard 5 oz weighted no bait warm up cast would give me some room in between the locals - it did and Larry immediately came up to me and said - You can flat out cast old school - and I know you are not from here. I had a custom modified Penn Squidder I had modded to control overrun with a leather bushing on the axle. I learned this trick from the best Squidder Casters in Texas at the pier in the 70s. He also jumped all on my Sevelon steel leader and 9/0 J-Hook. He asked me - are you shark fishing cuz we don't want any GARBOS here (garbo is code for sharks) and you can't chase record redfish with Tiger sharks - looking for a meal and having one hooked up without cutting it off - takes up all of the T-Head as the GARBO is fought out.

The key for me was - these guys are serious redfish record chasers and the RED DRUM TACKLE SHOP crew and Larry ruled that place.

I quickly followed his lead, he showed me his primo redfish leader for distance and told me - I will gain distance - which I did with no bait.

Miami - I had men with high dollar offshore boats - building rods to match a quiver and boat trim and free offshore trips when they a spot - I went

My old Coast Guard Commander became a major fishing guide in Naples - Leon Howell - Leon is now the Head Park Ranger in Flamingo now.

Hewes Bonefisher - the original flats boat - 18ft was his ride. And we fished the Everglades out front and behind - for 3 years straight. There I put my oldest step son on his first and only tarpon - a 175lb class fish - Government Island - Biscayne Bay Miami. I used to fish the lights at night on that island - Columbians across the bay - machine gun fire - cops sirens - 1987 era there. Tarpon became literally garbage fish - they will suck down a freeline live shrimp flipped out on a spinning reel and jump till they broke off. I had several land on Coast Guard small boats and docks - scales flying - just to watch the show. Guys who didn't fish - you cant land them! My answer - you cant eat them - watch the show

This is why I've stayed so committed - the challenge and friendships made and some I've shown this world too for the first time, one Texas kid who had never even seen an ocean anywhere - from Waco - he now runs the La Pesca at Dolphin Docks and once ran a Port A ferry, after earning his 100 ton license. I turned him loose running shark baits all day in my kayak - surfing and wiping out as he learned to ride the surf and work the paddles.......at night - some of the old Coast Guard stuff shared.

That really makes me so darn proud!

God bless and always try to take and teach a kid or someone - how to fish.

We all know for some, it will shape their lives like it has mine.

Last edited by AtTheWall; 11-02-2021 at 07:30 PM.
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2021, 08:05 PM   #1153
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Let's go Astros!!!!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2021, 08:15 PM   #1154
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

I have 162 down south lures and 264 jig heads.

142 1/8th oz 63 1/16th oz and the rest are 1/4oz.

Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2021, 08:26 PM   #1155
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryg View Post
Rob, you down in Rockport often?

Jerryg

Yes and Glen moved there - Wildman is in Seadrift - not far away and Doug will be there in minutes - when we fishing Jerry?!?!?!?!

Once Wildman tasted Salt - see any hunting posts from him in a decade now? He's running a Panga - and he's ate up with salt as well.

Some of us old TBHers are running together chasing dreams in the salt right now.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:40 PM   #1156
Jerryg
Ten Point

I have my RV and boat down there. Try to go twice a month during the off season. I get pretty busy from November to January, then the javi hunts start! Send me your number so we can visit or call my 956-645-2775

Jerryg

Jerryg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2021, 05:29 PM   #1157
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Got it Jerry - sending you my Contact info and we will dial it in! Got a few of us there regularly and Glen will have zones and daily updates with trends so we can at least go in with some basics to fish the patterns.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:04 PM   #1158
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Hunt In: Who knows

A lot of big ol reds in the back lakes. I caught 4 over 30"s. Had to really look for slot reds. I did find em though.
kevin nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2021, 09:04 PM   #1159
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Forgot the picture
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2021, 09:05 PM   #1160
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Nice Kevin! It was a beautiful day to be on the water!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2021, 09:10 PM   #1161
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

The trout was hanging with a school of reds. Caught and released a couple big flounder out there too. It was a chilly boat ride Saturday but this morning was nice.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2021, 11:09 PM   #1162
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall and Ft. Bend County

I was able to fish one day last week and had a big red, 28Ē-29Ē that got off right at me and one big trout.

Was a great day to be on the water even if it was a little slow. Thankful for the freedoms we have and the blessings God has given us.

JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2021, 01:28 PM   #1163
ram04
Eight Point

Hunt In: The woods, Val verde/Edwards line

Nice trout man.
ram04 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2021, 11:23 AM   #1164
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays County

Had an awesome morning on my Hobie Pro Angler a few days ago, and caught my PB redfish. Heck of a fight!

This was definitely a reminder to keep a set of fish grips in the kayak. I usually move mine between my boat and my shore fishing bag, and forgot them this time.
goofiefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2021, 04:30 PM   #1165
fish4food
Ten Point

Fished 2 days last week.
First day was fishing a gut with an outgoing tide. Standing in knee deep water casting into waste deep. Pretty much a ledge even though not that much of a depth difference. Fish were on the drop off.
Ended up catching 12 trout and 1 flounder.

Second trip, was on my way home from picking up the wife a kayak. Stopped at an old spot I hadnít fished in about a year. Was glad to see access hadnít been cut off.
Fishing a flat with sand and grass, knee to thigh deep. My dad lost a flounder at hand, and a few bites. I missed 2 bites and stuck 1. The wife got skunked.
Attached Images

fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2021, 08:14 PM   #1166
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Found a few in a new back lake. Two of the Reds looked like footballs their bellies were so big. They were full of shrimp.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2021, 09:48 PM   #1167
fish4food
Ten Point

Sheesh! That trout looks like a football!

Fished Sunday morning with my old man at the same place I fished Monday. Ended up catching 3 trout, 4 Flounder, and 3 reds.

Hadnít had to deal with a potlicker in quite some time. All I can say is I didnít miss them.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2021, 09:49 PM   #1168
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Gunna hit the salt Friday of course weather looks pretty crappy 15-20mph north wind, definitely not ideal...

BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2021, 03:33 PM   #1169
Hollywood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit, Live Oak, Duval

Gonna drag the Mowdy down to POC friday also. A double front & rain may make it interesting. Sunday am could be nice.
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2021, 03:54 PM   #1170
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Caught about 30 sinks on my first drift this morning. Changed and fished paddle tails instead of DOA. Caught 6 keeper trout, one red, and 4 flounder on being a saddle blanket all released. Fun morning with my two boys.
Attached Images

glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2021, 03:59 PM   #1171
glen
Pope & Young

It is hard throwing these back. 6 in last two days while trout fishing
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2021, 05:17 PM   #1172
fish4food
Ten Point

^^^

Awesome job Sir!

Might have to reach out to you one of these days and see if I can’t tag along.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:29 PM   #1173
glen
Pope & Young

Come on. Been fishing everyday the wind lets me. I chunk a lot of plastic but have no issue deadsticking bait
Old 11-23-2021, 08:35 PM   #1174
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Way to go Glen!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2021, 08:47 PM   #1175
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
It is hard throwing these back. 6 in last two days while trout fishing
Nice work Glen. I threw 3 back this weekend, they never knew how lucky they were. There's a lot of them out there.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:55 PM   #1176
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Gonna drag the Mowdy down to POC friday also. A double front & rain may make it interesting. Sunday am could be nice.
All you can do is grind. Thatís my plan. Hopefully there will be water at my favorite spots if not I guess Iíll target drains and deep shorelines
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2021, 09:34 PM   #1177
fish4food
Ten Point

Water in POC was about 3í lower than usual. Wind yesterday knocked a lot of water out.
It was a grind today. Only managed a few dinkís, and sight casted to a few reds but they came unhooked.

Will take you up on that soon Sir.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:27 AM   #1178
Hollywood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit, Live Oak, Duval

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
All you can do is grind. Thatís my plan. Hopefully there will be water at my favorite spots if not I guess Iíll target drains and deep shorelines
Where do you launch ? I may be solo, friend that was supposed to join me has to Referee a HS football game Friday night & may not join me at all.
You could jump on my boat & we could hit a few spots.
Shoot me a PM.
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2021, 05:49 PM   #1179
glen
Pope & Young

Well went out before the wind and caught about 10 trout. Smaller today and had 3 keepers which we ate for lunch. Did catch 3 more of those endangered flounder but no blankets.

If you guys are fishing the Rockport area I’ve been grinding in sand pockets in 2-3 ft of water. Color on gulps have been New Penny/Chart tail or White/Chart. On the swim baits it has been Ice/Chart and smaller 3-4 inch baits
Old 11-24-2021, 05:53 PM   #1180
rvd
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Well went out before the wind and caught about 10 trout. Smaller today and had 3 keepers which we ate for lunch. Did catch 3 more of those endangered flounder but no blankets.

If you guys are fishing the Rockport area Iíve been grinding in sand pockets in 2-3 ft of water. Color on gulps have been New Penny/Chart tail or White/Chart. On the swim baits it has been Ice/Chart and smaller 3-4 inch baits
Good intel Glenn, Iíve been in town and will be back Friday but donít think Iíll fish til next week sometime. We need to get together soon.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2021, 05:56 PM   #1181
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Sounds like you're in your element Glen! Seems now you're REALLY getting into what retirement is all about! Congratulations sir!! I've never been able to pick up my rod n reel when I could pick up my bow... One of these days, I'm gonna fool 'em! I know Fall/early Winter fishing is probably the best time to fish in the bay salt, but DANG... Ol' big buck keeps callin' my name...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2021, 08:43 PM   #1182
glen
Pope & Young

I don’t know about my element. It’s new water to me still. I’m not killing it and still grinding at the fish. Usually fish until noon or go out about 2 in the afternoon. Still have life stuff that I gotta do. Wind and Mother Nature are only thing that keeps me off the water
Old 11-24-2021, 11:06 PM   #1183
fish4food
Ten Point

You are doing well Sir!

Made it out today with my little sister and her boyfriend.
Fishing a gut draining out of a marsh knee to thigh deep.

Ended the day with 17 trout, 13 being keepers. 16-23Ē. Little sister caught 2 16-17Ē.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2021, 10:31 PM   #1184
fish4food
Ten Point

Had to go this morning before the front hit after yesterdayís trip.
Got a very late start. Got in the water at 0915 and out at 1015. Had brother in law and his son with me.

Same conditions. Clean water, light wind, outgoing tide. Knee to thigh deep water. Gut draining.

12 trout, most all between 16-20Ē slow rolling a paddle tail off the bottom.
Mom asked for some fish so we kept a few.
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 06:07 AM   #1185
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall and Ft. Bend County

Nice work, you’ve had some fun trips the last few days.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM   #1186
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Nice work F4F. Way to get em.
Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM   #1187
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

WTG guys!