Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-28-2019, 12:39 AM   #1
yaqui
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland Co.
Default Bathroom remodel advice please

Howdy Braintrust,

TBH is probably the best place in the world for crowd sourcing when it comes to questions like this.

So the missus wants to replace our tub with a walk in shower. I'm a pretty handy feller, and hope to do most of the work myself. A few questions...

1. The new shower drain location will be about 24-28 inches from where the original tub drain was. So, with this in mind, I am thinking I will need to add a p-trap below the new shower drain location. Would this be correct? We are on a pier and beam foundation so pretty easy access. I am guessing we have 2 inch cast iron drain pipe as our house was built in the late '50's.

2. We have seen these new fancy shower heads that come straight from the ceiling over head. Are they really all that great? Or should we stick with the one that comes out of the wall? Any you guys have experience with those overhead shower heads that you no longer like or care for and if so why? I ain't never stayed in a fancy dancy hotel that has them.

I'll probably have a few more questions when I start the tear out. But if you guys have any other suggestions, I'd appreciate if you could share them

thanks in advance,

P
yaqui is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2019, 01:12 AM   #2
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Gimmick. I do not like the rainforest shower head, or whatever they are called. There are times when one likes to soap up and then rinse off. You cannot do that when the water is constantly washing off the soap/shampoo.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2019, 05:50 AM   #3
IowaHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: IA + MA

Go with a good wall shower head. The overhead ones sound great but aren’t.
IowaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2019, 06:01 AM   #4
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Why not both? You could put both in and have separate controls for them.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2019, 07:45 AM   #5
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

If your gona stay with about same width as original tub ,there are shower Pan available that allow you to hook to original tub drain at end..so you dont have move to drain pipe. It sounds like moving your drain will be easy ,mine was in slab.....I got a Kohler at Lowes..I went with cast Iron..HEAVY..But turned out nice...
Put some thought into making it Handicap usable..and add support in walls for hand holds or hand rails for install now or later in life...Kinda plan now for later it don't cost much more and if and when time comes you will thank me...
Put some thought and shop Shower Doors ,in our case it was tuff finding what we wanted and what would work..
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2019, 08:21 AM   #6
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

We went with one that comes out of the wall but set it a foot higher than normal and made it a large shower head. So if desired it can be set almost like the one that comes out of the ceiling.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2019, 08:25 AM   #7
Lawhunter
Ten Point

following...we are about to start on our as well
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2019, 08:45 AM   #8
ElCid07
Six Point

Hunt In: Graham, Jacksonville, Naples

If you’re gonna be doing the work on the shower install yourself check out a guy on YouTube called Starr Tile. I found him when I was researching my own shower remodel. The guy is a wealth of knowledge and is sort of known in his area for being the guy to call in to fix other tile installer’s mistakes, so he has a lot of videos showing you what NOT to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ElCid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2019, 09:24 AM   #9
dpatterson1976
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leaseless ATM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
Gimmick. I do not like the rainforest shower head, or whatever they are called. There are times when one likes to soap up and then rinse off. You cannot do that when the water is constantly washing off the soap/shampoo.
Well... Us young folk like the rain shower heads. Nothing like standing there after a long day of protesting Trump. It also helps distribute the lovely smell from the lavender bath beads.

Dont listen to this old fart... He is probably still lathering up with lye soap!

Hey there Randy!!
dpatterson1976 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2019, 09:38 AM   #10
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Yes on p trap

Person preference on shower head. I personally don’t like ceiling mounted. I mount mine wall and higher than standard.
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2019, 09:42 AM   #11
tx_basser
Eight Point

Hunt In: Any place Public

You dont need to add a P trap, as there is already one in the slab.
tx_basser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #12
yaqui
Ten Point

Thanks for the info fellas, I'll take some pics as I go along.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:38 AM   #13
tx_basser
Eight Point

I moved the drain on my tub, and where you see that pipe stubbed up there was a p-trap under it.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:53 AM   #14
abilliott
Eight Point

Quote:
Isn't this what all shower heads do?

I personally went with both as well. Its actually super easy and really doesn't add much as far as cost or difficulty. You can select just the wall, just the ceiling or both. The higher pressure at the wall head feels nice at times, then the rain head is also nice at times.

Also, some would say its a bonus, others would say not but with two available heads in the shower the Mrs. can get in with you and not complain about being "cold" one head for each of you@! LOL
abilliott is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2019, 12:22 PM   #15
CaptainDave
Ten Point

We did a ceiling mounted rain head, which we really like.

However, in addition, we also have a hand held shower mounted on a slide bar. We had the slide bar installed a bit higher which allows for the hand held to be used like a regular wall mounted shower head if you want.

Although we really like the ceiling mounted rain head, I'd agree that I wouldn't have that as the only option. Have a hand held or another wall mount installed in addition with a diverter.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #16
lostbrd
Six Point

Hunt In: Topsey

Cut existing trap out. Use "No-hub" coupling to go from 2" cast iron too 2" ABS plastic pipe. Install new trap at desired location. Wall mount and rain head on diverter is a good choice.
lostbrd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2019, 01:26 PM   #17
yaqui
Ten Point

I like the idea of two heads, thanks. What about the thought of valves on opposite sides of where the shower head is? We will be going with glass doors, maybe a double glass barn door that can open on both sides.

Thanks for the video link suggestions. I have seen some, but there are tons of great resources out there.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:27 PM   #18
yaqui
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostbrd View Post
Cut existing trap out. Use "No-hub" coupling to go from 2" cast iron too 2" ABS plastic pipe. Install new trap at desired location. Wall mount and rain head on diverter is a good choice.
Awesome info on the coupling detail. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2019, 01:29 PM   #19
yaqui
Ten Point

Do y'all think pex pipe with shark bit to existing copper is okay? I've always sweat pipe myself. But Pex and shark bite look really easy.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:19 PM   #20
tx_basser
Eight Point

I did pex on my bathroom remodel, and researched allot on it and felt it was fine.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:56 PM   #21
abilliott
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaqui View Post
I like the idea of two heads, thanks. What about the thought of valves on opposite sides of where the shower head is? We will be going with glass doors, maybe a double glass barn door that can open on both sides.

Thanks for the video link suggestions. I have seen some, but there are tons of great resources out there.
This is fine and IMO a great idea. I offset mine as well, instead of a center mounted right under the head I mounted mine close to the door. I can open the door and turn the water and let it warm up without ever having to get inside. If you go with 2 heads you will also have a "selector" unit...totally separate of the control valve...make sure you have room for both.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:30 PM   #22
KevinAndy
Six Point

Hunt In: Jim Wells Co., TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Why not both? You could put both in and have separate controls for them.
This is what we just did. Sometimes I have both going, sometimes just 1. Another thing we did is since our shower is rectangular we put the valves at the opposite wall from the wall mounted head. That way you don't have to get cold water on you when you reach in to start the shower.
KevinAndy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2019, 11:34 AM   #23
yaqui
Ten Point

Thanks guys. I had no idea that no one carries these fixture items in stock. Home Depot and Lowes don't carry these higher end controls.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:02 PM   #24
abilliott
Eight Point

I believe you can order them through their websites but yes... sadly they do not usually stock those. A plumbing fixture warehouse like Moorison Supply or Moore Supply might have them in stock but usually they are quite a bit higher than purchasing online. This is the one I went with... also the "spot shield" option is available on the version you want is definitely worth it. The coating allows it to stay much cleaner.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Delta-Dryde...cet/1000172953

The "diverter" or shower head selector if you will looks alot like this: Note the 3 positions. Also this will be just the trim kits usually. There is a rough in valve for these as well. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Delta-Dryde...cet/1000037211
Old 03-29-2019, 12:23 PM   #25
JHT
Pope & Young

Quote:

Less moving parts on glass shower doors is better in the long run.
It may look cool but you will find yourself using the same one all the time out of habit.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2019, 11:38 AM   #26
yaqui
Ten Point

Plumbing is in, pex was pretty easy. shower fixtures are situated, went with both a rain and shower head, and a diverter that can do either or both, set up on the opposite wall from each other.
Had a tile guy come and float the shower pan. Did a good job, but he set the drain too low. Not sure how I am going to fix that problem yet, of course he has not called me back. Backer board is up as well as sheetrock. Next step is to do the shower floor tile.
Taking it slow and easy for now.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:10 PM   #27
Smough
Nubbin' Buck

Bathroom renovation is quite a complex and time-consuming process, but also exciting. Any technique is divided into stages. Since you are replacing the shower, you need to look at this issue in more detail. You should be familiar with all the nuances so that you do not have to redo everything again. When choosing a showerhead, I advise you to stick to your preferences. You should not follow fashion trends if, for you, it is not the best option. You can buy an ordinary showerhead that comes out of the wall. For me, this option is also more comfortable than the one on top. Have you thought about doing a complete bathroom renovation yet? For example, change the floor, the sink, the radiator. It's better to do everything at once to don't have to come back to repairs again. We recently replaced the old radiators and put in new vertical radiators. I like this option because it looks more modern and practical.

Last edited by Smough; 11-25-2021 at 06:17 PM.
Smough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2021, 08:14 PM   #28
Abctx
Six Point

Quote:
Do y'all think pex pipe with shark bit to existing copper is okay? I've always sweat pipe myself. But Pex and shark bite look really easy.
You can do sweat-on adapters, from copper to pex. No issues with pex. I DO worry about the sharkbites, though, if they’re not somewhere that I can easily get to them. I know some will disagree, but iffy in my book.
Abctx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2021, 11:20 PM   #29
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comstock

My advice: put the shower valve right inside the shower entrance and pipe around to the head. We put in a very large shower (roughly 5x5) and I stinks having to walk into the shower to turn it on and avoid getting a cold shot of water.

I also like the overhead rain head, but if doing over I would also put in both on individual controls.
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2021, 11:22 PM   #30
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

What was a 2-1/2 year old post responded to?
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM   #31
RLB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comal County

Quote:
We have one and I just move out from under it when I need to soap up.
RLB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top