Salvation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salvation

Since there's been a debate going on in another thread about presidential candidates. I figured we could talk about it in a thread about salvation not presidents!! I don't know the answer but I do know Jesus went to "hell" or a version of hell on 1 Peter 3:19 then again there's reference to it in

1 Peter 4:6
    6 For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.

The man on the cross next to Jesus has always been a point of interest to me for a few reasons.
    People get caught up on accepting Jesus while "your still alive". But, if you think about it, we are truly spiritual beings who never die so I'm not sure about all that. You will spend eternity somewhere, hopefully in heaven! I personally believe that none of us are qualified to say who is going to be saved and who isn't. That's Jesus' job! I believe that God knows your heart. If you live your life using Christianity as a safety net. Living like hell during the week and sitting on the third row Sunday morning. You will have a hard time convincing God you truly love Him and want to spend eternity with Him since you never wanted to spend time with Him before! There's also people who live in jungles and areas where no person will introduce them to Jesus and tell them who He is and what He's done for them. I believe God knows those people's hearts as well. They may believe in a "God" or a "creator" but not know Him. Those people may be given the opportunity to accept Jesus when they meet Him for the first time.When that first time is who knows?!?! Jesus may come to them just before they "die" or He may walk up to them in the spiritual realm. I don't know since I haven't experienced that yet! But I do know scripture is pretty clear that not everyone will go to heaven. So I'm not sure where that theory comes from?

Matthew 7:22-23

22Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

I'd love to hear some of your thoughts and opinions on it. I've actually been talking about this exact topic with a couple of guys from my church.

That is a very interesting take on it. One thing I do know is that nothing is too hard for God and we can't even begin to understand Him. His ways are not our ways.

Comment

I've heard several different interpretations but will have to read some more on it to have a strong opinion. I will say here is another common interpretation to be considered.
      1 Peter 3:18-20
      For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water

"the Spirit, by whom also He went" - Christ not in person but through the Holy Spirit preached to the reference people

"the spirits in prison" - I've also seen this interpreted as those not in Hell but rather imprisoned by sin. We commonly say that salvation "frees" us from sin inferring that it formerly was our prison.

"who formerly were disobedient........ in the days of Noah...... 8 souls were saved" - the people referenced are those that inhabited the Earth during the times of Noah who the Holy Spirit preached to. There are many ways the Holy Spirit has preached to people, often times by inspiring prophets and people. Noah preached to the people during that time 2 Peter 2:5 "Noah...... a preacher of righteousness" So 1 Peter 3:18-20 doesn't necessarily mean these people were preached to after death, in fact they were preached to by the Holy Spirit aka Christ through Noah while living.

As far as 1 Peter 4:6 a big key is the use of past tense in "the gospel WAS preached" - the gospel was taught while living to those who are now dead. Another possibility to factor in is that the death referenced is a spiritual one and not physical.

Thanks for the thought provoking topic.... I now have a subject to read on this week so I can form my own conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
        That is a very interesting take on it. One thing I do know is that nothing is too hard for God and we can't even begin to understand Him. His ways are not our ways.
        I agree with this. We shouldn't try to put GOD in a box. It's like we are a TI-84 calculator, intelligent, but when compared to GOD, He is a supercomputer taking up a huge room. No even close.

Comment

I ponder and pray on questions like this and others. At the end of it all I am certain of one thing.
          You cannot put God in a box. His being is not fully contained in the pages of the bible. I live by the understanding that His will is what and will be. I can live with that.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve always taken comfort in John 5:28;29 there will be a resurrection of good and bad and a possible hope for those who did not live the way they should.In doing lots of research I’ve found that there is differing definitions of what’s in mainstream Christianity and the original Hebrew and Greek writings just like the term hell.In the Greek there is no burning hell the words used in the Bible to describe where Jesus spent his days after death is haides which originally in Greek is a grave or cemetery not hellfire like many envision.Also the word soul in Hebrew it uses the word nephesh and Greek psy’khe which means a body or person or even a body or carcass of an animal.At Genesis 2:7 is says the man became a living soul not he was given or he acquired a soul.The punishment for Adam’s sin was he was to return to the earth from which he came. At Ezekiel 18:4 it says that the sinning soul will die.Psalms 146:4 says that at death a man goes back to the ground and his thoughts perish Ecclesiastes 9:4-6 repeats this the dead have no thoughts.At 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 Paul speaks of those sleeping in death and mentions a future resurrection.Before Jesus resurrected Lazarus he said he was sleeping in death.In Revelation were told of those who will resurrected as kings and priests to judge the earth when where and how I’m not going to presumptuous say but according to many scriptures there will be a time of resurrection referring to it as the last day or day of resurrection for the good and not so good brought out by Acts 10:42Acts 24:15,John 11:24 and John6:39,40-For this is the will of my father that everyone who recognizes the Son and exercises faith in him should have everlasting life and I will resurrect him on the last day.I’m a firm believer none of us have it all right and that Gods grace will prevail if we just do our best to apply the scriptures and follow Jesus example to our best abilities.But I have found that deep scriptural study and research tend to clash with some of the mainstream Christian beliefs and dogmas.These are a few things I’ve discovered in my research study and walk with God.I enjoy think tank and positive topics like this so I can absorb others faith and feelings on such important and powerful subjects.

Comment

John 21:20-22
              20 Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. (This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and had said, “Lord, who is going to betray you?”) 21 When Peter saw him, he asked, “Lord, what about him?”

22 Jesus answered, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me.”

In my opinion, this is the most important bible verse for Christians to focus on and meditate on.

Jesus tells Peter not too worry about anything other than his relationship with Jesus. He says "You must follow me"! Don't worry about what's going on with Mr. So and so. You worry about me and you!

Comment

OP, I agree with this statement as well: "But I do know scripture is pretty clear that not everyone will go to heaven."

But no one will be condemned to hell forever. The Holy Ghost will always be with them until they accept Jesus as Savior. Some will take longer than others.

OP, as a father, is there anything that your child can do that you would condemn them to hell, that burning lake of fire, for all eternity?

Comment

Originally posted by RedBear78 View Post
                  I’ve always taken comfort in John 5:28;29 there will be a resurrection of good and bad and a possible hope for those who did not live the way they should.In doing lots of research I’ve found that there is differing definitions of what’s in mainstream Christianity and the original Hebrew and Greek writings just like the term hell.In the Greek there is no burning hell the words used in the Bible to describe where Jesus spent his days after death is haides which originally in Greek is a grave or cemetery not hellfire like many envision.Also the word soul in Hebrew it uses the word nephesh and Greek psy’khe which means a body or person or even a body or carcass of an animal.At Genesis 2:7 is says the man became a living soul not he was given or he acquired a soul.The punishment for Adam’s sin was he was to return to the earth from which he came. At Ezekiel 18:4 it says that the sinning soul will die.Psalms 146:4 says that at death a man goes back to the ground and his thoughts perish Ecclesiastes 9:4-6 repeats this the dead have no thoughts.At 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 Paul speaks of those sleeping in death and mentions a future resurrection.Before Jesus resurrected Lazarus he said he was sleeping in death.In Revelation were told of those who will resurrected as kings and priests to judge the earth when where and how I’m not going to presumptuous say but according to many scriptures there will be a time of resurrection referring to it as the last day or day of resurrection for the good and not so good brought out by Acts 10:42Acts 24:15,John 11:24 and John6:39,40-For this is the will of my father that everyone who recognizes the Son and exercises faith in him should have everlasting life and I will resurrect him on the last day.I’m a firm believer none of us have it all right and that Gods grace will prevail if we just do our best to apply the scriptures and follow Jesus example to our best abilities.But I have found that deep scriptural study and research tend to clash with some of the mainstream Christian beliefs and dogmas.These are a few things I’ve discovered in my research study and walk with God.I enjoy think tank and positive topics like this so I can absorb others faith and feelings on such important and powerful subjects.
                  That's kind of the main reason I started this thread. We all have our own interpretations and we can talk down to people based on what we "KNOW" to be true. I enjoy hearing other people's thoughts on their walk and learning more about Who God is. One thing we all agree on is that God doesn't fit into any one of the boxes we try to put Him in! Like right in my last sentence, I said Him but God is not a Him or a Her. God is, I am.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                    OP, I agree with this statement as well: "But I do know scripture is pretty clear that not everyone will go to heaven."

But no one will be condemned to hell forever. The Holy Ghost will always be with them until they accept Jesus as Savior. Some will take longer than others.

OP, as a father, is there anything that your child can do that you would condemn them to hell, that burning lake of fire, for all eternity?
                    So how about satan and the fallen angels? Will they be redeemed eventually?

Comment

In this example you think Jesus is going to change his mind? When a person "dies" Jesus is going to tell them depart from me I never knew you and then a few millennia later He's going to say oh there you are buddy, I've been looking everywhere for you!

Comment

Do you have any scripture you can reference for this belief? Honestly have never heard it before.

Comment

1 John 1:5-7
                          This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. 6 If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

I think this passage answers every question you are bringing up. God is perfect in every way. He is Love, He is True, He is Honest, He is Just. He is all of these things. He is, I am. So my interpretation is that He is Just so in Him there is no injustice. If you are a believer in Jesus and are a follower of Christ then you are covered under his sacrifice so you are able to fellowship with God. Even though you are a sinful person. But, and a big but it is, is when does this relationship or covering take place? Is it before you die? After you die? Do you really die? Is there a purgetory?

So know I wouldn't condemn my children to an eternal fire. But I wouldn't give up any of my four sons to die for the rest of the world either!!

Comment

To be saved

Do this:

1 John 3:23: "This is [God's] command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another."

Tell everyone, we have the cure! There's not much time

Comment

Brother, I no desire to argue with you on this matter. You’re applying your morality to God. I would encourage to study your position a little more carefully. Universalism in various forms has been around since ~300ad. It’s been refuted by Scripture every time. The fact is, you can’t make your argument using Scripture alone without applying some crazy hermeneutics.

As far as Rob Bell goes, I’d encourage you to read Tim Challies review of Love Wins. https://www.challies.com/book-review...ells-new-book/ Tim does a better job reviewing the book than I can.

Rob Bell, has been walking heretical lines since his “Pneuma” video days back in the early 2000’s.

Comment

Working...
                              X