Bahia in San Augustine grass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bahia in San Augustine grass

Ok, I have a neighbor that could give two craps about his yard. And the neighbor before was worse. Well, they have let Bahia pretty much take over their yard in the last 4 years and now it’s trying to take hold of mine. It’s pretty much gotten into 30% of my back yard but now it’s popping up in spots in my front yard. My front yard is all San Augustine. Back is mixed San Augustine and Bermuda.

So. How can I get rid of the Bahia without harming the San Augustine. I know there is a herbicide that will kill the Bahia and not harm the Bermuda but I can’t remember the name and don’t know how it affects the San Augustine.

Hopefully (and I’m sure there is) someone has caliber the great fight against this completely useless grass and came out victorious. We have in the past but that was in hay fields and not lawns. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSM or Manor herbicides do well to control unwanted Bahia grass in both Bermuda and St Augustine lawn.
    Don’t get MSM confused with MSMA as this is not labeled for St Aug.

Comment

Try Image, you can get it at Lowe’s, I think it will work, would need to read the bottle to verify though

Comment

Let those Bahia stalks jump up above the other grasses. Drill small holes in a 3”-4” pvc pipe, wrap with rags make a fill hole in the top of pipe for roundup. Attach to your tractor or UTV at the hight that will touch the Bahia, fill the pipe with roundup and take off……

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
          Let those Bahia stalks jump up above the other grasses. Drill small holes in a 3”-4” pvc pipe, wrap with rags make a fill hole in the top of pipe for roundup. Attach to your tractor or UTV at the hight that will touch the Bahia, fill the pipe with roundup and take off……
          There’s a commercial product that does this called a weed wiper. It works if you can saturate your cover without dripping gly all over your lawn. I have one that fits a 2” receiver hitch and I’ve used it on my golf cart for behia control.

Oh, and the behia killer you’re talking about may be Cimmaron. That’s what I use now to keep behia killed out of my front yard next to the highway.
          Last edited by Drycreek3189; 07-14-2021, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Interesting.

Comment

I use Rometsol.

Comment

i use celcius on bermuda.. not sure if it is ok w others

Comment

Comment

This works.

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post

Looks like the TopShots been discontinued (probably worked too well LOL). MSM Turf is the newest iteration of this herbicide.
                      Last edited by Etxbuckman; 07-14-2021, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Scotts weed and feed.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                          There’s a commercial product that does this called a weed wiper. It works if you can saturate your cover without dripping gly all over your lawn. I have one that fits a 2” receiver hitch and I’ve used it on my golf cart for behia control.

Oh, and the behia killer you’re talking about may be Cimmaron. That’s what I use now to keep behia killed out of my front yard next to the highway.
                          The GrassWorks Weed Wiper™ Pull-Type model is popular with hay and pasture operations. The model comes in a variety of sizes to suit your specific needs and can be pulled with a four-wheeler or small tractor. Standard sizes range from 3’-15’. The GrassWorks Pull Type Weed Wiper comes with the option to add Foam Filled Tires and/or Foam Markers.

I have had the 12ft for 15+ years, thinking about buying a 6 also so I can pull it onto a trailer behind my ranger. Amazing how effective they are, I don't know the exact science but when you apply chemical to the bottom side of a leaf it kills much more effectively than when you spray it on top. I can wipe an 80 acre pasture in no time pulling with my ranger and using a gps to track.

Op the pvc idea will work well in your yard, the advantage of the wiper is its rotating and the force of the rotation keeps it from dripping.

Comment

OP thank you for this thread. 7 years ago I bought a bermuda seed to cover newly constructed irrigation lines to stop erosion. It ended up being Bahia and has taken over 80% of my lawn and I hate it. If it gets to long it just lays over when I try and mow it, so I have to cut it so darn short my St Augstine gets scalped. Finally a solution. Thank you again.
                            Just bought MSM Turf off of Amazon.

Comment

I used something couple years ago that starts with a "p"... don't remember what it is called at the moment. will think of it later and circle back. a couple of tablespoons of the granules mixed with water did an acre. starting to see a little around the edges of my yard where the neighbors sling theirs my way so may have to hit it again this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X