Quickly paying off a house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quickly paying off a house

I know we should have someone on the GS that could answer this.

Still owe on the house : $67,000
    Monthly payment: $715
    Interest is 5%
    Approximately 20 yrs still to pay

If a payment of $600 was sent in every month to go straight to principal, how soon would the house be paid off?

I have no idea if I will do this, it’s something I just thought about and was wondering.

What was the original loan amount? And did you start with a 30 year loan?

Comment

You could cut your 20 years down to around 10. There are several online calculators that you can use to run various scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
        What was the original loan amount? And did you start with a 30 year loan?
        $85K
        30yr

Comment

Get a lower interest rate?

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
            Get a lower interest rate?
            Get this if you can, other wise yes $600 extra will cut it in half maybe more.

Comment

refinance it to a 15 year. if you are making extra "principal only" payment, the interest rate doesn't as much. I was in a similar situation 11 years ago and was able to pay it off in 5. that freed me up to buy a second home and that house is now paid for and I'm working on paying off the land it's on.

Comment

Refi that for 2% less

Comment

Depending on your age, I’d start a ROTH and pay 100$ more a month on your house note.

Comment

Like mentioned above, I would think you could refi for 15 yrs at a lower % and keep close to same payment as now and then make that extra $600 a month payment and probably be payment free in 10 yrs or less

Comment

I’m assuming 715 is with escrow, as 85,000 at 5% for 30 years comes out to $456. Which means you’re only paying a fraction of that $715 towards principal. $600 extra towards principal would equate to paying the loan off 261 months early IF you paid that from day one. Not sure what I would be now, but it would still be very significant.

Comment

Only owing 67K the cost associated with a refinance it would take him 10 years to recoup those fees based on savings. Better off to just hammer on the principal and get it knocked out in 7-10.

The good news is you owe less on your house than most guys do on their trucks😳

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                          I’m assuming 715 is with escrow, as 85,000 at 5% for 30 years comes out to $456. Which means you’re only paying a fraction of that $715 towards principal. $600 extra towards principal would equate to paying the loan off 261 months early IF you paid that from day one. Not sure what I would be now, but it would still be very significant.
                          This. At year 10 in the loan (you said you still have 20 years left on a 30 year note) you're only paying ~$160/month towards the principal. An extra $600/month plus the principal amount you're paying on your current payment you'll have it paid off in about 7 years...maybe a little less.

Comment

You’ll never get your house paid off. Evidently the government owns my house. I’m still making payments to them every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Huggybear View Post
                              Depending on your age, I’d start a ROTH and pay 100$ more a month on your house note.
                              This.

You'll end up with a net gain assuming your investment earns north of 5% which should be no problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X