A/C condensate drain clogged advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C condensate drain clogged advice

I noticed my a/c wasn't cooling like it should be.. Checked and yep, there's some water in the pan and it's dripping out the emergency drain pipe.

I tried the usual. I poured a quart of straight bleach in, no dice. Poured another 2 quarts in of half bleach and half warm water, hoping the weight might push it through, still clogged.

I ran an air hose all the way from my garage into the attic and hit it as hard as I could for a straight minute. Nothing.

I don't have a snake at the moment.

Any other ideas? Is there anything nastier I can pour in there or should I just buy a snake or call someone?

You got access to the PVC where the drain loops out of the unit? You could cut it and install a union there for future easy access cleanouts with a bottle brush. No idea if that's up to code or not.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
      You got access to the PVC where the drain loops out of the unit? You could cut it and install a union there for future easy access cleanouts with a bottle brush. No idea if that's up to code or not.
      Ya, I have full access right where it comes out of the unit (2 capped spots that I can pull the caps off), that's where I've been pouring in the bleach. I think the clog might be further down?

The 3+ quarts of bleach I poured in never came out the pipe on the side of the house

*I would also like to say I am in no way an expert on HVAC stuff But I do have some knowledge I've collected over the years!

Comment

I plugged my pipe where my AC drain tied in and went in through my roof vent with a water hose and was able to clear mine last summer when it plugged.

Comment

Originally posted by DKirk View Post
          I plugged my pipe where my AC drain tied in and went in through my roof vent with a water hose and was able to clear mine last summer when it plugged.
          Hmmm... Not sure how I can pull off getting a hose up there in my situation... Great idea though

I could just keep pouring bleach/vinegar/water down it over and over a gallon at a time?? Maybe the weight will finally push it through? I can't really mess anything up I guess besides wasting a few bucks on more bleach?

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
            Ya, I have full access right where it comes out of the unit (2 capped spots that I can pull the caps off), that's where I've been pouring in the bleach. I think the clog might be further down?

The 3+ quarts of bleach I poured in never came out the pipe on the side of the house

*I would also like to say I am in no way an expert on HVAC stuff But I do have some knowledge I've collected over the years!
            So my unit has that cap, PVC runs horizontally and dips sort of like a mini U trap on a sink. That's where mine's always clogged. So I cut it over to the side where it's straight and it's easy to brush it out. You may want to be careful with that much bleach. Also try a shop-vac and block off other outlets accordingly. Again be careful with that much bleach in there, shop-vac will probably turn it into an aerosol and don't wanna breath that in.

Comment

I’ve unclogged one before by banging the pipe against the exterior wall. It was in an older house and a simple 3/4 pvc downspout.

You could try fish tape but might get it stuck.
              Last edited by Leaverrite; 06-16-2021, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                So my unit has that cap, PVC runs horizontally and dips sort of like a mini U trap on a sink. That's where mine's always clogged. So I cut it over to the side where it's straight and it's easy to brush it out. You may want to be careful with that much bleach. Also try a shop-vac and block off other outlets accordingly. Again be careful with that much bleach in there, shop-vac will probably turn it into an aerosol and don't wanna breath that in.
                I think you might be right, at this point if the bleach hasn't done it's job it probably won't help any more.. Maybe just more water, or water with some vinegar..

I see the U trap you're talking about. I don't believe it's clogged there. I have a pvc cap on each side of the trap and when I pour into the side before the trap I can hear it going through. I also poured a ton in so I figured it would probably would have overfilled pretty quickly if it was clogged there as well

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
                  I think you might be right, at this point if the bleach hasn't done it's job it probably won't help any more.. Maybe just more water, or water with some vinegar..

I see the U trap you're talking about. I don't believe it's clogged there. I have a pvc cap on each side of the trap and when I pour into the side before the trap I can hear it going through. I also poured a ton in so I figured it would probably would have overfilled pretty quickly if it was clogged there as well
                  Ah, yeah mine only has a cap on the one side then runs across and downstairs. Your clog may not be 100% so that bleach could be dripping out. The shop-vac can be reversed to pressure through as well. Before I finally cut my pipe I used the shop-vac alternating suction and pressure back and forth and got it cleared out. Could be worth a shot assuming you're able to plug the other spots you're not targeting. I think the bleach is more of a preventative.

Comment

Originally posted by Leaverrite View Post
                    I’ve unclogged one before by banging the pipe against the exterior wall. It was in an older house and a simple 3/4 pvc downspout.

You could try fish tape but might get it stuck.
                    I actually do have some fish tape and that did cross my mind...

I'm actually just not sure I have a ladder that high. It's 2 stories high and we have tall ceilings..

My outlet comes straight down underneath the 2nd story over hang and protrudes about 6"

Comment

You won't have any algae now in the pan but it'll do little to algae it can't touch. Try a shop vac on the discharge pipe end.

Comment

Fish tape and shop vac has cleared mine more than once. Luckily it exits out of the slab.

Comment

My guess is you have a dirt dobber nest in the 6” section of line coming out of the house eve.

Comment

Just confirmed. The trap is clear. I just put 3 gallons of water in and not a drop came out.

I think you guys are right, something at the very exit tip.

I'll see if I can borrow a ladder and try fish tape & shop vac.

You could very well be right on the dirt dobber theory... May have something long enough to poke it a little standing on top of my 12' ladder

Thanks!!
                            Last edited by Deers & Beers; 06-16-2021, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Almost always where it attaches to the sink below the unit. when thats plugged it will go into the pan and drain out the house. There should never be any water in the pan or out the pipe outside the house. It should drain into a sink p trap 90% of the time. underneath you bathroom cabinet alot of times

Comment

Working...
                              X