X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potted Plants

A buddy of mine sent this to me:

Potted Plants: Scary!
    I almost had a heart attack this week. My son got me a potted plant for my birthday. I kept it on my kitchen counter the whole time. This week it was warm enough to plant outside. It was in a plastic pot wedged into a decorative outer container. After planting the flower, I got a knife to get the plastic pot out of the glass one. When I wedged the knife around the sides, something moved. I told my son it looked like a snake, so he took the liner out. To our surprise, there was not one snake, but two baby copperheads. I almost died! When we took the plastic pot out, there was a piece of cardboard up the side. There must have been eggs in the holes of the cardboard that hatched out when it got hot.

Take my advice and don't bring nursery plants inside. This could have been really, really bad. The plant was bought at a grocery store; I won't give the name because I don't want to ruin their business, plus I'm pretty sure it was the grower and not the store who was responsible. Growers should take more care when potting plants.

I just want to warn you guys not to bring plants inside; who knows what could be lurking way down under those roots. I am only thankful it was not intended as a house plant!

This also applies to plants that you have had outside thru the summer and want to bring them inside in the cold weather.

Great, two limp covers for your long bow for free!!
    No that would be a shock!!!!

Comment

Awesome!

Usually you pay extra for that.

Comment

Wow, that is crazy... and you are lucky

Comment

Wow, that is kinda scary...

Comment

food for thought!!

that would be the last thing i would need when I ask my 3 year old to bring me over a plant to help pot!

Comment

Glad you are ok. I've heard that a bite from a baby snake can be just as bad as an adult snake. All these stories about snakes has me a little worried about heading to RockSprings this week. I know we are in prime rattlesnake territory!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Good heads up on snopes, accurate pictures, but the when and where I agree. Its a good warning to check them anyway and be careful.

Comment

Was going to post up what was said in the snopes findings.

The snakes don't look like copperheads. Plus the venomous snakes in Texas do not hatch from eggs laid. They "hatch" inside the female, similar to a mammal live birth.

On the other hand, as others have already said, be careful with any potted plant that is outside. Snakes look for a dark and damp place when they are shedding their skin. Mulch in a watered potted plant is a perfect place.
                      Last edited by denowt; 04-19-2011, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X