Best Varmit Call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Varmit Call

When you are out in the field, what call do you use? Not the brand of call, but what exact animal? I've heard so many things and I have yet to call anything in, so I'm asking the green screen for help!!! Going out this weekend to turkey hunt but i'll be calling at night. The guys here at work say use:

Woodpecker in distress

Cottontail Squeal

Rodent Squeal

Whats your opinion???

Cottontail & pup in distress brings em in quick for me.

Comment

depends on where you are.

out west jack rabbit is more effective than cottontail because of prevalence.

rodent squeal works, as does pup distress and bawling cat.

just remember that it will change. they will "learn" that whatever call you choose means danger. you will be able to fool them only once.

Comment

I have only seen good things from jack rabbit squeals out here

Comment

I'll be hunting in meridian this weekend BTW

Comment

Just pick one to start with and alternate the volume from high to low with a few short pauses in the call. After 20 minutes move to another spot and try again if nothing comes in.

Comment

I always start with a cotton tail call ( mini blaster) and then switch over to a really loud raspy jack rabbit call and finish off with the cotton tail again. I've always figured if one won't bring them in, maybe the other will and usually have pretty good success with this.

Comment

In Meridian start off with cottontail and go to a gray fox pups or cottontail/gray fox fight. You'll get covered up.

Comment

I often call in coyotes while calling for turkeys. If you make your turkey setup with the wind in mind you could get a shot at a yote. Give it another month or so and then go to fawn distress. In heavily called areas call solid for 10 minutes and then wait queitly for 15 to 20 minutes.

Comment

cottontail and jackrabbit in distress work really well.

Comment

Pup distress, jack or cottontail, snowshoe hare is a fave.

Don't use the same one to often in one area.

Comment

Thanks, will post pics if successful

Comment

Working...
                        X