Wildflower seed in drought conditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wildflower seed in drought conditions

My place is usually loaded with bluebonnets, other wildflowers, and dogwoods. The showing was very poor this year due to lack of water over the winter and into this spring. Can someone tell me if bluebonnet seed will hold over to the next year? All of these plants are natural occurring on our place.

These were taken last year and there probably wasn't a tenth of what you see this year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4041992 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	24847664

Name:	P4042000 (Medium).JPG
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	24847665

Name:	P4062022 (Medium).JPG
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	24847666

The seeds absolutely will hold over til next year and even a year or 2 beyond that. Bluebonnet seeds have a very tough coating on them and water, freezing, etc....all help break the seed coat down so it will germinate.

With no water it didn't wear the coating down enough. No worries about the seed staying good.

Comment

Yeh I knew they are like little rocks just wasn't sure. Good to know though. I hated the say this year turned out.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
        The seeds absolutely will hold over til next year and even a year or 2 beyond that. Bluebonnet seeds have a very tough coating on them and water, freezing, etc....all help break the seed coat down so it will germinate.

With no water it didn't wear the coating down enough. No worries about the seed staying good.
        X2 They shouldnt have a problem coming back, Ours come back rain sleet snow or the worst drought you've ever seen... it'll just be very few till the rain comes

Comment

They are hardy little buggars. They'll be back

Comment

The bluebonnet crop this year is looking scarce, and it will be especially hard to harvest much from the very short plants that are out there. You should have no problem with a good stand next year as long as the rain falls at the right time. My supply of seeds from last year is getting small and I'm wondering if I will have many this year fill the demand.

Comment

Working...
            X