Need help on Protein ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help on Protein ?

Ok guys, this was my first year to feed protein, when do I stop the protein pellets so they get use to coming in on the corn timers.

God Bless
    Bish

Originally posted by Bish View Post
    Ok guys, this was my first year to feed protein, when do I stop the protein pellets so they get use to coming in on the corn timers.

God Bless
    Bish
    Never, we feed everything year round, protein, CS , corn
    Corn is only candy, and I like fat and crude protein available post fawning, pre rut , post rut and gestation period and nursing
    Some places stop WCS in September

Comment

On my east texas lease, our deer prefer protein over corn. We feed it year round. Adds up fast.

Comment

We feed protein all year as well.

Comment

Unless it’s a money thing, I’ve never understood pulling them off protein. Do they not need nutrition in the fall?

Comment

We fill our Protein feeders between Christmas and New Years Day. We re-fill throughout the Spring and Summer. Our last Protein feeding is Labor Day Weekend. Then they go dry during deer season. Not sure if this is right or wrong but it’s what we do.
            Last edited by lilavidhunter; 07-29-2021, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Benno View Post
              Unless it’s a money thing, I’ve never understood pulling them off protein. Do they not need nutrition in the fall?
              Lets not pretend it is about nutrition. It is about piling up protein during antler growth and then shutting it off and going with a cheaper alternative to keep them coming in. A lot of folks run pellets Feb. through Sept. then throw corn the rest of the time.

Deer have been getting enough of the right nutrition since the dawn of time from natural sources, so supplementing protein isnt even necessary.

Comment

We don’t stop because it is different than what the neighbors are feeding

Comment

Run timed protein in season too. Attractant and some deer only come in for protein. It’s better for them than corn too.

Comment

What about the momas nursing the baby big ol bucks? And the fawns that don’t have very much to eat in the winter? That is where your trophies are going to come from.

Everything benefits from the feed.
                    I have known so many hunters that cut off the feed so they will come to the corn to be shot. When if you think about those bucks don’t come to corn in the rut. It’s a lot harder to grow a deer than to kill one. It will change your whole outlook on hunting and be more enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                      Lets not pretend it is about nutrition. It is about piling up protein during antler growth and then shutting it off and going with a cheaper alternative to keep them coming in. A lot of folks run pellets Feb. through Sept. then throw corn the rest of the time.

Deer have been getting enough of the right nutrition since the dawn of time from natural sources, so supplementing protein isnt even necessary.
                      Excellent point!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Benno View Post

This…. ^^^^

Most of my customers don’t stop feeding protein.

They will, however switch from AntlerMax Deer 20 to a Purina Product called Antler Advantage Rut & Conditioning 16.

It is a higher fat product that is designed to get the bucks and does in better body condition going into the rut.

It is fed generally from September until February or March. Helps get them in good shape post-rut too.

Here’s a link to the product…

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post

If your deer are bigger, healthier, and a better fawn survival rate than not feeding, then you don’t have abundance of nutrition on your place needed to grow a deer to its potential without feeding.
                          No it is not necessary but your helping the heard and your chances of getting the buck you always wanted. (Which is different for everyone)

Comment

Feed it all year round. They will still show up to be shot during daylight hours.

Comment

Originally posted by JWHunt View Post
                              If your deer are bigger, healthier, and a better fawn survival rate than not feeding, then you don’t have abundance of nutrition on your place needed to grow a deer to its potential without feeding.
                              No it is not necessary but your helping the heard and your chances of getting the buck you always wanted. (Which is different for everyone)
                              Year round really really helps keep a balanced herd from conception to harvest age and health
                              Some people like to use parasite/ deworm ,
                              Crumbs make loaves on healthy herds
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 07-29-2021, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X