Is this a dealership ripoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
    Elaborate. You seem very adamant about it. I have a DI 2018 Silverado. 57k miles. I dump a bottle of Lucas in the tank every now and then. But you’re telling us $265 is cheap and to do so every 20k miles? Nobody, not even my dealer has said they. Genuinely curious.
    The intakes get FILTHY in these DI engines. And the back side of the intake valves. Getting the throttle body, intake and valves cleaned up are important to longevity. It builds up this sticky tar like substance. We use to spray fuel on the back side of the intake valves. No longer. The DI is direct injected to the cylinder. I do mine not as often as I should. I'd say every 30ish. Some cars are worse than others. I've taken DI engines apart and the intake runners and valves are a quarter to half inch thick. Happens alot on patrol vehicles that idle 18hrs a day. Lucas in the tank is good. I like Techron better. It's a feel good for me. Lol. Also, when I do the fuel service and intake cleaning. I do it when an oil change is due. I do the clean. Then change the oil. Again. That is a feel good for me. No science to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
      The intakes get FILTHY in these DI engines. And the back side of the intake valves. Getting the throttle body, intake and valves cleaned up are important to longevity. It builds up this sticky tar like substance. We use to spray fuel on the back side of the intake valves. No longer. The DI is direct injected to the cylinder. I do mine not as often as I should. I'd say every 30ish. Some cars are worse than others. I've taken DI engines apart and the intake runners and valves are a quarter to half inch thick. Happens alot on patrol vehicles that idle 18hrs a day. Lucas in the tank is good. I like Techron better. It's a feel good for me. Lol. Also, when I do the fuel service and intake cleaning. I do it when an oil change is due. I do the clean. Then change the oil. Again. That is a feel good for me. No science to it.
      I buy fuel from HEB and they have a @ pump additives choice
      Usually I put the once a month Techron choice then sometimes the stronger version on a 3+ hour drive , for peace of mind
      Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 07-23-2021, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
        Makes sense. I have noticed my engine stutter very randomly at a light. Rare but it’s done it. I’ll ask my dealer what it costs. May try it once.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmck View Post
          I was a service manager for some years. I always suggested my hunters have an alignment yearly. But back then is was a lot cheaper. The loss leader is something almost all dealerships practice. Those service writers are on commision and thats the way they make their extra money.
          But it looks like you did a great job getting what was needed and what was not.
          So should service writers go before lawyers or after?

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
            So should service writers go before lawyers or after?
            1 in the same.....

Comment

You'll get screwed no matter where you bring your vehicle unless you get an honest technician/service writer.
              One day I brought my truck in for an alignment at NTB and the moron behind the counter tried to tell me I needed new struts on the vehicle. The look on his face when I asked him to point out the struts on my vehicle, that does not have struts, was priceless. And the sad thing is he was the manager of the location.
              Last edited by KyleW; 07-23-2021, 10:41 PM.

Comment

My truck is at the dealer now for a "service DEF system" message and asked them to check the front wheel bearings while it was in there, I'm told both items were approved and will be covered under my extended warranty. I got an over the shoulder look at the services they had written up prior to the warranty approval, one was a 67,500 mile EGR cleaning listed at over $1700. My truck only requires the CCV filter change according to the maintenance schedule, not the full egr cleaning like the pre-DEF trucks. The service writer has not brought it up to me yet, wonder how many folks they get to bite on that.

Comment

Working...
                X