1 - 1" lock ring
    1 - 1" plastic bushing
    3 or 4 self tapping screws
    Possibly a 1 3/8" bi-metal hole saw
    About 9ft #6 thhn wire
    1 Eaton BR250 breaker
    Red white green phase tape

Place 2pole 50a breaker in upper right 2/4 position
    Install power inlet on side of 200a panel. Might have to drill a hole for the chase nipple.

Yes the buss bar is hot.. dont touch it.
    Use card board or such as needed for protection.
    Run a black wire from breaker (2) to the black term of power inlet
    Run a red wire from breaker (4) to the red term of inlet
    Run a white wire from panel neutral to the white term of inlet
    Run a green wire from the bonded neutral to the ground of power inlet box.

Install interlock per instructions..
    Total time, maybe 2 hours.
    You can shut off the main.. then its only hot on the top lugs where the wires from meter are terminated..
    You just need a band of the phase tape colors on each end... say 1" from where its terminated.. no need to wrap the entire wire...
    I would go this route.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
      That works, but definetly overkill.
      Did you not have a main circuit breaker in your panel?

I do but I’m following code. I’m not going to risk my house getting burn down or killing some one and losing everything I have because of a law suit. You just can’t do thing’s now days like we did before. Hey would love to have saved a bunch of money. But I spoke to my insurance company also good friends and was told don’t do what these people are doing or telling you to do. But Hey go ahead. I’m just giving Good Advice. You can take a horse to the tank but you can’t make him think. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JFFB View Post
        I do but I’m following code. I’m not going to risk my house getting burn down or killing some one and losing everything I have because of a law suit. You just can’t do thing’s now days like we did before. Hey would love to have saved a bunch of money. But I spoke to my insurance company also good friends and was told don’t do what these people are doing or telling you to do. But Hey go ahead. I’m just giving Good Advice. You can take a horse to the tank but you can’t make him think. [emoji848]

I am a master electrician with over 20+ years of experience. I think I know the code fairly well.
        Your install is no safer or different than what Zmaxhunter suggested. You just cluttered up your wall and spent more money on time and material.
        Last edited by Rubi513; 06-08-2021, 02:39 PM.

Comment

I would go this route.

May be so. But not by a non lic elect. I’m not making money on this but only letting good home owners know to do it the right way. I knew I would hammered by some side junkies.

Comment

May be so. But not by a non lic elect. I’m not making money on this but only letting good home owners know to do it the right way. I knew I would hammered by some side junkies.

Jesus...
            Yes, it’s done that way daily by licensed electricians...
            The side junkie took your money...

Comment

Jesus...
              Yes, it’s done that way daily by licensed electricians...
              The side junkie took your money...

Explain? He is a good friend lic and knows what he is doing. Try to find the right parts that are limited right now is a challenge. You say your 20 plus years doing this but your own here busting my balls. Who insureds your business?

Comment

Explain? He is a good friend lic and knows what he is doing. Try to find the right parts that are limited right now is a challenge. You say your 20 plus years doing this but your own here busting my balls. Who insureds your business?

You have a 200 amp double pole double throw disconnect.
                It’s overkill. Your generator isn’t putting out 200 amps, but since your electrician installed it after the meter but before the panel it has to be rated for the 200 amp service that you probably have.
                Had he done it the way Zmaxhunter recommended you wouldn’t need the disconnect. Just the transfer device mounted on the panel.
                Like I said, it works. It’s just overkill. Not sure how you got that I was “busting your balls” over that...
                Federated Reserve is the insurance company. We do about 20 million a year in electrical. Not bad for some “side junkies “.

Comment

You have a 200 amp double pole double throw disconnect.
                  It’s overkill. Your generator isn’t putting out 200 amps, but since your electrician installed it after the meter but before the panel it has to be rated for the 200 amp service that you probably have.
                  Had he done it the way Zmaxhunter recommended you wouldn’t need the disconnect. Just the transfer device mounted on the panel.
                  Like I said, it works. It’s just overkill. Not sure how you got that I was “busting your balls” over that...
                  Federated Reserve is the insurance company. We do about 20 million a year in electrical. Not bad for some “side junkies “.

Yes Sir. Go back to rat killing. 20 mil and you have time to come on here and give grief. Like I said please read the post. You just can’t go by every thing you need right now. I have to deal with Entergy. Maybe in Texas it’s different. Sorry

Comment

Yes Sir. Go back to rat killing. 20 mil and you have time to come on here and give grief. Like I said please read the post. You just can’t go by every thing you need right now. I have to deal with Entergy. Maybe in Texas it’s different. Sorry

I am just here to keep folks from getting screwed over like you did...
                    Entergy is just one of the many power companies I deal with.
                    They would have never been needed if your electrician knew what he was doing...
                    You keep spewing bs, and I will keep correcting you.

Comment

Could you attach a pic of the cord you use from the generator to the inlet box? What size wire is the cord?

Comment

I have this same situation OP. Because I need to run outlets in the house, shop and garage I went with a meter mounted auto transfer switch. It was 700.00 but for me installation is almost zero and it allows me to run what I want where I want. Hook the generator to it, shut off what you don't want to run and done. The wait is 16 weeks to get one. I also ran it by the coop and they signed off no problem.

Comment

This escalated rather nicely. Them Killerwatts will always get you!

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
                            Could you attach a pic of the cord you use from the generator to the inlet box? What size wire is the cord?
                            See the 2nd link in post 23. This is for a generator with 50 amp receptacle.

Comment

Let me rephrase. JFFB what type of cord did your electrician provide for your setup being it was 85'.

Comment

50a power inlet, this cord is 15ft.. where as the other was 25ft.

50a power inlet

Can save a few more $ going this route..
                                You and JFFB do not have the same scenario..
                                I am a licensed, bonded, insured electical contractor. Ive worked across the country from Baltimore to Bakersfield. Cut my teeth on rigid steel conduit, massive amounts of motor controls in Ford and GM plants.Went out on my own in Jan.
                                2000. Lots of underground trenching, power to farms, country homes, center pivot irrigation systems, and yes, lots of generator transfer switch installations..
                                Will be wiring a Generac 12kw autostart unit soon and have another scheduled for install in July.
                                I dont sell my customers things they dont need.

Comment

Working...
                                X