Stock Markets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
    It has been painful for sure. But you don't lose unless you sell!! That doesn't make it any easier to look at.
    Lol true. I get your point

Its all imaginary money until you sell it

Long term thoughts as I get close to long term capital gains on some of my stocks. Sure ain't selling now

Comment

I have a question for some of the experts, in how to calculate short/term gains.

Example:
      Let's say I have 200 shares of a stock purchased over the last 380 days. On 3/20/2020, I bought 50 shares at $20 each. Since it is after 3/21/21, I want to sell those 50 shares now at short term capital gains since they have been held over 1 year.

So do I sell $1,000 worth or 50 shares at its current price? I do not want to sell any other of this stock, as they would be taxed higher as short term capital gains.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
        I have a question for some of the experts, in how to calculate short/term gains.

Example:
        Let's say I have 200 shares of a stock purchased over the last 380 days. On 3/20/2020, I bought 50 shares at $20 each. Since it is after 3/21/21, I want to sell those 50 shares now at short term capital gains since they have been held over 1 year.

So do I sell $1,000 worth or 50 shares at its current price? I do not want to sell any other of this stock, as they would be taxed higher as short term capital gains.
        Edit: That 50 shares would be sold with a LONG term gain since you owned them more than a year, but you need to get the selling firm to designate that they are the 50 shares you bought on 3/20/20.
        Last edited by Burnadell; 04-07-2021, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          Edit: That 50 shares would be sold with a LONG term gain since you owned them more than a year, but you need to get the selling firm to designate that they are the 50 shares you bought on 3/20/20.
          This right here. On ETrade you can select which stock lots to sell. If I bought 100 shares of a stock in three separate transactions, it let's me select which one or two of those lots I want to sell if not selling all 300 shares.

On another note, Im amazed we have seen two non psycho days in row in the markets. Could we be getting back to what normal stock trading looks like?

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
            This right here. On ETrade you can select which stock lots to sell. If I bought 100 shares of a stock in three separate transactions, it let's me select which one or two of those lots I want to sell if not selling all 300 shares.

On another note, Im amazed we have seen two non psycho days in row in the markets. Could we be getting back to what normal stock trading looks like?
            Exactly my thoughts!!! Back to normal

Well I am on Robinhood, so how the heck do I do that?

This maybe what experts warned me about, that robinhood sucks

Comment

But I like the psycho days when it goes up 600 or 700 points for now apparent reason.

Comment

Psycho days could be in a holding pattern for a bit with Biden's tax hike talk from 21 to 28% on corporations.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemarlin View Post
                  Psycho days could be in a holding pattern for a bit with Biden's tax hike talk from 21 to 28% on corporations.
                  Fortunately though he’s getting some real push-back on that from both parties.

Comment

I think this is exactly what is happening! The easy post Covid days are over I think

Comment

way to go Potato

At least he doesn't mean tweet am I right?

Click image for larger version

Name:	joe.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	24649642

Comment

Originally posted by JFISHER View Post
                        way to go Potato

At least he doesn't mean tweet am I right?

[ATTACH]1047427[/ATTACH]
                        He's shorting us all

Comment

We pulled or just pulled 200,000 out of mutual funds because of what Biden may do. Put it into a guaranteed income annuity. Left some in the mutual funds with our broker.

Honestly with what we have now, we have made a killing in the mutual funds/stock market since we began over 35 years ago. We have been blessed as i never ever thought we would have the retirement we have plus the place we bought last year. Life has been good to us for the most part!

Comment

I know if I was a big corporation and that happened I’d be outsourcing to cheaper countries. Way to go Joe. China ring a bell? Ya big dummy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                              We pulled or just pulled 200,000 out of mutual funds because of what Biden may do. Put it into a guaranteed income annuity. Left some in the mutual funds with our broker.

Honestly with what we have now, we have made a killing in the mutual funds/stock market since we began over 35 years ago. We have been blessed as i never ever thought we would have the retirement we have plus the place we bought last year. Life has been good to us for the most part!
                              so if you have made your money and ready or close to retiring then get your $$ out of the market - it is set up for massive failure with Biden and what he is doing

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                                so if you have made your money and ready or close to retiring then get your $$ out of the market - it is set up for massive failure with Biden and what he is doing
                                That was going to be a question of mine. I still have 15 years before I can retire. I guess there is a bunch that can happen between now and then.

Comment

Working...
                                X