Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever taken a cross country...

train trip.

Can't take a cruise so was looking at one of these. I know we'll probly have to wait on covid to slow down but just checking.

Where did you go, how was you experience and what all was included?

In the info. I enjoy train travel and have been wondering what was possible in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No but sounds like cool trip.

Comment

Going to watch my kid play football in iowa feels like a cross country trip

Comment

As a kid we either took an AMTRAK trip from Great Lakes or Connecticut to San Diego, CA. I am sure it was not a pleasant trip for my mother dealing with 3 young boys and no sleep car. I remember playing with my Darrell Waltrip #11 Mountain Dew car in the aisle.

Comment

Dad took an Amtrak from Dallas to Los Angeles. Said it was on his bucket list. It was a 3 day trip. This was probably 10 years ago or so. It took a day to get to San Antonio. He thought hee would enjoy it, but ended up hating it. Canceled the return and bought a plane ticket home.

Comment

I took a vacation with my then 8 year old daughter on Amtrak from Fort Worth to Chicago. Got the sleeping car though. It was awesome. Multiple delays, never take train travel if you really have an itinerary, but we didn’t. Eating in the dining car was awesome. Playing cards in the lounge was awesome. We’re both laid back people though. Once in Chicago, we took in a game at Wrigley, visited Sears tower, and did all the sights. Took the El, the metra, the subway, and taxis around town. Went up to visit my buddy near Wisconsin. Awesome trip, but if you’re a schedule person, you’ll probably get tired of it quick.

Comment

We did years ago. It was good and bad. We got a room in a car, back in the rear of the train. We could have gotten a larger room, but not knowing what we were getting into, we got one of the cheaper rooms. The price was not bad. The room we got was cramped, mainly just two beds and I think a very small bathroom.

We took a trip from San Marcos, to Alpine, don't do what we did. The trip from San Marcos, to San Antonio, was kind of cool. But when we got to San Antonio, we thought the train would stop in San Antonio, unload some, pick some up, then take off again. Turns out the train stops in San Antonio for the night. Turns out they disconnect cars, switch cars around, then hook them back up, through out the night. While doing so, there is no power in the cars, so no A/C, no lights. That deal would have been nice to know, we would have gotten on the train the next day, in San Antonio. During the night, we thought we felt the car we were in spinning turning around on a turn table. Then the next morning, when the train was leaving, we discovered we were on the other side of the train. When we pulled in the station, we were on the left side of the train, when we left San Antonio, we were on the right side of the train. This was during the summer, so when they had the cars disconnected, with the power off, it was very hot and humid in the car. We really want to do another trip, during the winter, through the Rockies.

The trip from San Antonio, to Alpine, was pretty nice. They serve breakfast three times a day, in the dining car. The food is pretty good. The one thing that was not necessarily great, was turns out some of the people who travel on the train, in the passenger's seats. I am guessing those seats are very cheap means of transportation. Some of those people are a bit on the strange side, but never had any problems.

Like I said, we only went to Alpine, it was definitely a scenic trip, the price was not bad at all. We actually got from San Antonio to Alpine fairly quickly. Even with the stops, I would say, we got there multiple hours quicker by train, that we would have in a car.

We have planned on making another trip, if we do so, we will look at their maps and see where each train travels, then decide what trip or trips we want to make.
                Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 02-19-2021, 10:47 PM.

Comment

The trip down the PCH from San Francisco to San Diego is beautiful. Saw wales in the pacific, just a beautiful ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BowCrazy View Post
                    train trip.

Can't take a cruise so was looking at one of these. I know we'll probly have to wait on covid to slow down but just checking.

Where did you go, how was you experience and what all was included?
                    Only sections
                    DC to Boston
                    New Orleans to Birmingham
                    San Diego to Sacramento

Comment

My wife and I traveled from Williston ND to Kalispell MT in a sleeper car, then back again. They had a car set up just for viewing the scenery anyone could sit in. (passengers rotated in/out voluntarily) Was an awesome trip/experience. The food was well beyond expectations. Wanting to do more...

tending the fire,
                      Bob G.

Comment

Yes I have NOL to San Francisco
                        It’s really fun
                        Had the opportunity NOL to Los Angeles to Seattle to Chicago to NOL

Comment

No but it sounds cool!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob G View Post
                            My wife and I traveled from Williston ND to Kalispell MT in a sleeper car, then back again. They had a car set up just for viewing the scenery anyone could sit in. (passengers rotated in/out voluntarily) Was an awesome trip/experience. The food was well beyond expectations. Wanting to do more...

tending the fire,
                            Bob G.
                            Worked out of Williston for a few years, I was always leery of the trains because of the folks we usually seen getting off them. But know alot of folks that traveled on days off on them. Kinda good to know it wasn't bad.

Comment

train

Originally posted by teamron View Post
                              Worked out of Williston for a few years, I was always leery of the trains because of the folks we usually seen getting off them. But know alot of folks that traveled on days off on them. Kinda good to know it wasn't bad.
                              Had a friend who would ride from Kalispell to Williston and back again every 2 weeks, she loved it, the cost was cheaper than driving and she didn't have to concentrate on driving and could read, sleep or whatever. As someone stated if you on a strict time schedule then it's not the way to travel... Many people travel 2-3 days in the regular passenger seats. Sprawling out when they can. So after 3 maybe 4 days on a train even a beauty pageant queen will look a bit ragged. I highly recommend taking a ride and enjoying the countryside...

tending the fire,
                              Bob G.
                              Last edited by Bob G; 02-21-2021, 07:48 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Working...
                              X