Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-29-2015, 08:14 AM   #1
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fairfield
Default La-z-boy recliner, yay or nay

Been looking at these, and boy has the price gone up on them. Seems like every time I finally get money set aside after bills and car repairs and vacations the dang price has gone up another $100.

I know they are pretty well made, but before I go dropping 700-1000 on a recliner is there any other brand yall recommend checking out? Also considering getting a sectional with the recliner built in.
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2015, 08:19 AM   #2
Stan R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison and Colorado County

I have had Lazy Boy and Lane Both were good.

Heck I have had good luck from the ones st Sam's Had 1 for 20 years and it still is going strong.
Stan R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2015, 08:20 AM   #3
wassaw
Pope & Young

wait for the memorial day sale

we dropped a chunk of change on La-z-boy recliners 2 years ago. (replacing one i had for over 20 years, my Kramer chair ) I did notice it went from solid wood frame to the doubled up particle board frame but still reclines/rocks and is VERY comfortable.

Sat in a bunch of other brands only to come back to la-z-boy.... material and cushions (comfort) won out.
wassaw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2015, 08:24 AM   #4
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

I picked mine up at Gallery on sale, I sure sleep good in it!
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2015, 08:25 AM   #5
TexasBob
Pope & Young

We bought a pair of La-Z-Boy recliners about a year ago, maybe a little more. I do feel they are better made than some other brands out there, and they have a huge selection of color and fabric choices which was nice. The main thing I don't like, which you will notice in the store, is the way the chair locks back when reclined. I like to sit with my arms above my head and unless there is a 25 pound dog in my lap this requires me to be all the way back. My wife likes the feature. If I had it to do over, and could find something I liked at any other furniture store for half the price I would do that in a heartbeat. I'm also hard on furniture- my chair is getting a butt groove and is somewhat dirty although it will clean up well for the most part. Dirty isn't the makers fault, but the microfiber we had from rooms to go worked better for my use (also a different color). My wife's chair is like new. I have also heard the foam is better. My father in law is a big guy and bought a firm chair from La-Z-Boy that hasn't broken down. Your mileage may vary, but if the cost is an issue no it isn't double the chair for double the money in my opinion.
TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2015, 08:25 AM   #6
scott1022
Eight Point

Hunt In: Louisiana

Home Stretch Porter. I think that Home Stretch is an Ashley brand. If you have a Home Furniture store around you, they carry them. I have had mine for about 3 years and I love it. Plenty of room for me and a couple of the kids to sit on my lap.

I think that I paid around $450.
scott1022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2015, 08:32 AM   #7
wassaw
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
The main thing I don't like, which you will notice in the store, is the way the chair locks back when reclined. I like to sit with my arms above my head and unless there is a 25 pound dog in my lap this requires me to be all the way back.

if you look on the underside there is a wingnut on each side, tighten those up just a bit and it adjusts the weight needed to recline the back.
I sit a lot like you hands over my head slightly reclined, i adjusted mine and it takes just a little more "umph" to get to the spot i want but stays there.
wassaw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2015, 08:34 AM   #8
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassaw View Post
if you look on the underside there is a wingnut on each side, tighten those up just a bit and it adjusts the weight needed to recline the back.
I sit a lot like you hands over my head slightly reclined, i adjusted mine and it takes just a little more "umph" to get to the spot i want but stays there.
Sorry to derail the thread but Awesome!
TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #9
Electrican
Pope & Young

Hunt In: For a place

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassaw View Post
Thanks for this tip!! I have been trying since we got ours to figure out a way make a recline stop

I literally tried and sat in hundreds of recliners over several stores back when were looking and after looking and trying out the La-Z-Boy, I had found the one. They are way more $$ than the average recliners but it is quality and warranty is unbeatable. The only thing I would change on mine is I would have chose a non rocker model.
Electrican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2015, 09:00 AM   #10
Red Wing R/C
Ten Point

Hunt In: West Virginia

Your the consumer. Your money. Do your do diligence ...........shop around.
Red Wing R/C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2015, 09:00 AM   #11
tpack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath

We bought 2 back around 1998 and I still use mine. It has held up extremely well. We bought all new leather from ashleys a year ago and my wife wanted new, so I put hers in my camper and it is great having it at deer camp. I have to run my wife out of my chair almost every day. I have had lanes and they will not last compared to a Lazy Boy. I will not ever have another chair for me unless it is a Lazy Boy. Worth every penny. Shop around and negotiate. By the way, the leather recliner that came from ashleys already has the stitching coming apart. I will not be going there again either.
tpack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2015, 09:25 AM   #12
Ron
Pope & Young

Hunt In: USA, Concho County and S.E.Colorado

I've tried a few brands, but the lazy Boys' are the best by far.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2015, 09:37 AM   #13
Jesus is Coming
Ten Point

Hunt In: A great spot

If you're looking for leather, Hancock & Moore or Bradington-Young.
Jesus is Coming is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2015, 11:30 AM   #14
PoohDaddy
Six Point

Not sure if they have one in your area but look at" furniture row" Sofa mart.
The "Cloud" recliner is the best chair ever! after I got it my wife tries to claim it as hers! then my parents came over and checked it out, went home and got 2 cloud love sets and a recliner!
sofamart.furniturerow.com
PoohDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2015, 05:42 PM   #15
Big Daddy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fruitvale

I have had 2 lazy boys in the last 24 years and I sit in it daily, only 2. Well worth the money.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2015, 06:55 PM   #16
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke County and Beyond

I have a Lazy Boy BIG man recliner my ex bought me after a hip replacement in '09. It's still the MOST comfortable recliner I've ever had. This one has the leg/foot part you can push with your feet and adds about 6" extension. I'm tall so it's great for me. Also has extended head rest, nothing worse than my neck with no support.

BEST thing is my GF is 5'5" so it's TOO big for her to sit in comfortably. Many times quality is not always dictated by price, but at least for me and recliners...you want one that will last for many years. Never owned a Lane so no comparison I can give.
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2015, 07:01 PM   #17
sethcros
Ten Point

We got two recliners from rooms to go a few weeks ago. I like them, but after an hour or so, my back starts to hurt when reclined. I think it gets tired having to push on it to recline it...maybe I can adjust that?

Last edited by sethcros; 04-29-2015 at 07:25 PM.
sethcros is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2015, 07:10 PM   #18
cwbow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

I love my lazy boy. it's the big boy chair.
cwbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #19
orlybow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mountain Home, Real Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbow View Post
I love my lazy boy. it's the big boy chair.
Me too...going on twenty years, still use it daily and still looks good...
orlybow is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2019, 01:37 AM   #20
miller250
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
Been looking at these, and boy has the price gone up on them. Seems like every time I finally get money set aside after bills and car repairs and vacations the dang price has gone up another $100.

I know they are pretty well made, but before I go dropping 700-1000 on a recliner is there any other brand yall recommend checking out? Also considering getting a sectional with the recliner built in.
Homall leather recliner is a great recliner chair. I personally using this recliner chair from last few months. It's an extremely comfortable chair for reading, sleeping, and working.
miller250 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2019, 07:02 AM   #21
Yak blue
Four Point

I paid $700 for my lazy boy seven years ago. Worth every penny. What sold me is that if something breaks on the mechanics of the chair, (basically anything thatís not the foam/upholstery, etc) itís lifetime warranty, bring it in and theyíll fix it.
Yak blue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2019, 08:41 AM   #22
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tyler County

I got one for Fatherís Day and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2019, 08:48 AM   #23
Roy
Ten Point

I bought an Ashely Santa Fe recliner a few years back. It was a darn good recliner! But you definitely get what you pay for. The quality of the 'leather' was definitely sub-par and it only lasted a few years before it started turning to crud. Slapped a cover on it for a few more years, but I finally was convinced to give it up. I'm on the look out as well, but the new lazy boys are pricey! I've seen some great deals on craigslist, but not sure I want to buy a used one.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2019, 09:31 AM   #24
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Glad I opened this thread! My bride is talking about new furniture in the family room and has mentioned recliner(s)... Guess I'll focus on Lazy-boy from the reviews here... A while back that big outlet store in Houston The Dump had a huge recliner clearance... started to go and look. don't know what brands, but I'll watch for something like that for a while too...

Likely though to see Mac and get something there...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2019, 09:33 AM   #25
wdeisher
Four Point

Hunt In: Brownwood, TX/San Angelo, TX

I have a nice leather recliner, don't know what brand it is. $25.00 at a garage sale, been using it for 3 years now. Best recliner I've ever owned
wdeisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #26
dmk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nowhere

Ashley Furniture has nice chairs. Also, see if you have an Ashley clearance center or warehouse in the area. They have great deals.
dmk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #27
agtex42
Ten Point

I bought two off the floor of a mom and pop shop 9 years ago for $300 each, best money on furniture I’ve ever spent!!
agtex42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2019, 12:18 PM   #28
eastxhunter
Banned!!!

Hunt In: The moderators favorite stand

I need to adjust my LZBoy as stated above. It’s like a friggin roller coaster if you lean back in it.

I never sit in it..
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2019, 12:43 PM   #29
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

$700-$1000? Mine was a lot more than that. Better jump on it.
Maybe because mine are electric and leather?
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2019, 09:55 PM   #30
RyHolub
Six Point

Hunt In: Sonora

Had two lazy boys they were in my parents house before I was born and we got rid of those and replaced it with the big man lazy boy about 8-10 years ago and still going strong!

RyHolub is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2019, 10:02 PM   #31
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: A warm enclosed blind

La Z Boy all the way!!!! We have 6 of them. Its the only recliner that you can lean back wards, keep the foot rest in and still rock while tapping your feet on the ground. My favorite position
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2019, 09:13 AM   #32
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

We bought some Lazboy stuff a few years ago and really like it. I like to sit more straight up, and my recliner sits more "back" in the upright position. I wonder if that can be adjusted? It's my only complaint.
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2019, 10:08 AM   #33
Acameron52
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Mine is perfect for napping.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #34
tpack
Ten Point

We bought 2 over years 20 years ago and I am still using mine every day. The material has held up great and no problems with the mechanism at all. Still vey comfortable.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:35 AM   #35
miller250
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
I bought an Ashely Santa Fe recliner a few years back. It was a darn good recliner! But you definitely get what you pay for. The quality of the 'leather' was definitely sub-par and it only lasted a few years before it started turning to crud. Slapped a cover on it for a few more years, but I finally was convinced to give it up. I'm on the look out as well, but the new lazy boys are pricey! I've seen some great deals on craigslist, but not sure I want to buy a used one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller250 View Post
Homall leather recliner is a great recliner chair. I personally using this recliner chair from last few months. It's an extremely comfortable chair for reading, sleeping, and working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeisher View Post
I have a nice leather recliner, don't know what brand it is. $25.00 at a garage sale, been using it for 3 years now. Best recliner I've ever owned
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk View Post
Ashley Furniture has nice chairs. Also, see if you have an Ashley clearance center or warehouse in the area. They have great deals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyHolub View Post
Had two lazy boys they were in my parents house before I was born and we got rid of those and replaced it with the big man lazy boy about 8-10 years ago and still going strong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorvan View Post
We bought some Lazboy stuff a few years ago and really like it. I like to sit more straight up, and my recliner sits more "back" in the upright position. I wonder if that can be adjusted? It's my only complaint.
Maximum people use lazy boy recliner. I think it's a good recliner.
miller250 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2020, 04:51 AM   #36
sig
Nubbin' Buck

La-z-Boy is the best. We have a big sectional with built in recliners. Two recliners on each end. Bought it at the La-z-Boy store in the Webster/Clearlake area.
sig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2020, 05:41 PM   #37
sandbill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montague County

They're expensive, but high quality. We bit the bullet on a La-z-boy love seat and sofa, with a total of four recliners. We like them very much. They'll last
sandbill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2020, 05:51 PM   #38
mooch
Ten Point

We currently have one in the kids playroom that is nearly 30 years old. My parents bought it when I was a kid, it went with my brother when he bought his first house, then off to college with me, and now in our playroom and gets used daily. The base is starting to break but it’s still completely functional and I can repair it - just need to quit being lazy and get it done. Great chair.
mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2020, 06:08 PM   #39
wsteffen
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jewitt, TX or any where else I can find to go

To answer your question, YAH.
wsteffen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2020, 06:09 PM   #40
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumathebear View Post
I have a Lazy Boy BIG man recliner my ex bought me after a hip replacement in '09. It's still the MOST comfortable recliner I've ever had. This one has the leg/foot part you can push with your feet and adds about 6" extension. I'm tall so it's great for me. Also has extended head rest, nothing worse than my neck with no support.

BEST thing is my GF is 5'5" so it's TOO big for her to sit in comfortably. Many times quality is not always dictated by price, but at least for me and recliners...you want one that will last for many years. Never owned a Lane so no comparison I can give.
Man, we must be brothers from another mother, same story from hip replacement and appears we both have the same recliner! I did have a problem with some supports a couple of years ago but one of our local furniture stores had a guy that repairs recliners. Cost me about $150 but good as new.

We also bought my wife a lazy boy 2 years ago that she loves. We went to several furniture stores in Granbury and Ft Worth, ended up going to the Lazy Boy store in Ft Worth and bought it much less than the other stores. Only brand we will ever own IMO.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:11 PM   #41
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hell, I must be losing my mind in my ole' age! Just realized I answered my own post?? Oh well, I'm still in shock from the election results so far, LMAO "at myself!"
Old 11-04-2020, 07:39 PM   #42
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

Quote:
Hell, I must be losing my mind in my ole' age! Just realized I answered my own post?? Oh well, I'm still in shock from the election results so far, LMAO "at myself!"
2020 will do that to a man
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2020, 08:07 PM   #43
alec73065
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cleveland & Lampasas

I have a Lazy boy recliner that I have had for years . The fabric is well worn but no rips or tears and all of the mechanisms still work like new. We are going to invest $300 to get it re-upholstered .
alec73065 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2020, 08:15 PM   #44
MLAH
Six Point

One point about Lazy Boy chairs has been the warranty for us. I have owned 2 since 1995 my first chair developed a carriage issue. Which they repaired and additionally they took the chair apart replaced all the worn parts (seat springs also) at no cost to us. The only thing they said they would not warranty or replace was the covering fabric.

To avoid issues with fabric wear. Simply find a towel that color matches well enough use one in the seat, back and arm areas. Wash these often and the fabric stays in good shape even with years of constant wear.
MLAH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2020, 08:29 PM   #45
caa4612
Six Point

Hunt In: Limestone County

Donít know if you want new and what color but I have a couple of lazy boys Iíd probably sell. They are dark brown leather. Not too far from you either. If interested, let me know and I can PM you some pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
caa4612 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2020, 08:43 PM   #46
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Quote:

Yah, I was kinda wonder-n. Cause you was talk-n about your GF, your wife, and your Ex just over the last few years.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 05:29 AM   #47
randal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Crowell

I wouldn’t buy lazy boy
randal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 08:42 AM   #48
tpack
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by randal View Post
I wouldnít buy lazy boy
What do you recommend and why if not Lazy Boy. I have had mine for 23 years(bought in 1998) and use it every day. Material has worn very good with no rips or tears, mechanism works great and most comfortable 500 dollar chair I ever had.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:16 AM   #49
Smithwr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vernon TX

Costco. Life time no questions asked return policy. He!! we take ours back and exchange it sometimes just because we want to try a different setup.
Smithwr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top