Shedding ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shedding ?

When do the deer in East TX start shedding thier antlers? I shot a buck in Sabine co on the 21st and loading it on the 4wheer i was pulling it up by its antlers and his right side came off had a buddy do European on it and his left side is cracked and looks like it is about ready to shed. Never seen them shed this early.

Yeah thats pretty early. From my experience they generally tend to start in late January.

Comment

A couple of years ago we had a kid shoot 2 "big does" the final youth weekend. Turned out they were bucks that had already shed their antlers.

Comment

I run cameras all year and heavy in January and February for deer inventory when hitting the feeders hard and some start in January but some go to March before they drop.

Comment

Not that unusual for East Texas I dont believe.

Comment

End of January thru February is when “most” of them will drop. There’s always exceptions to the rule though

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
              A couple of years ago we had a kid shoot 2 "big does" the final youth weekend. Turned out they were bucks that had already shed their antlers.
              That's unfortunate!! [emoji848]

Comment

Majority of mine are early to mid March. Earliest I’ve seen was mid February

Comment

We have some that shed theirs this time of year, every year. Most are antler free by first/mid February.

Comment

Nutrition and stress play a big role in timing. Healthier deer will hang on to them longer

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                      We have some that shed theirs this time of year, every year. Most are antler free by first/mid February.
                      This. We are mld but shut down shooting doe the first week in January because it can be a 150" mistake.

Comment

I have a few shed in Dec every year. One of the biggest I ever hunted shed Dec 2nd

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                          This. We are mld but shut down shooting doe the first week in January because it can be a 150" mistake.
                          We shut down does by Jan 15th as well for the same reason.

Really all the does should be shot in Oct. if possible though.

Comment

Originally posted by Longue Carabine View Post
                            Nutrition and stress play a big role in timing. Healthier deer will hang on to them longer
                            Some of our healthiest deer shed early. Early rut runs testosterone down.

Comment

From a friends lease near me
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X