Wild Bison in Wyoming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild Bison in Wyoming

Anyone putting in for the Wild Bison hunt in Wyoming? Anyone been on it? If so what unit and what outfitter did you use?

Yes, I will be putting in as a resident.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Unit 2?

Comment

I looked into some buffalo hunts, a couple years ago, I think in Wyoming, but it may not have been. You had to be a resident. Same with the wolf hunts, in Idaho and some other states, got to be a resident of that state. I keep seeing those various hunts that sound like something that would be a lot of fun, then get to reading all of the info and find out you have to be a resident. One I got to the point of filling out my info, when I got to place of residence, you had to choose what county you are in and only counties in that state were the only option.

Comment

We've taken 3 cows. Will not apply for a cow again only bulls.
          Hunting is tough especially for cows. They usually hang out in the Park an only move to the NER late in January where they can be hunted.

Best bet for a cow is to go early and look on the NF near Shadow MT. Bulls can be taken on the NF early as well, they usually move around more and end up where you can hunt them in Sept and earlier on the Elk Refuge.

Outfitters are just for retrieval usually, they just put you on a horse and ride you up to take a shot . Most folks go DIY and use the outfitters for retrieval and gutting. A few folks go guided but really only the horses are needed.
          Late hunting is on National Elk Refuge.

If you're hunting late be prepared for deep snow and bitter cold. We hunted on foot, DIY and had Tag and Drag move them to the retrieval road and gut them. We hung and processed ourselves at home.
          Our cows were 6.5 and 4.5 years old and made great euros and heavy nice robes from Moyle Mink and Tannery.
          Attached Files

Comment

That looks cold!

Comment

Spouse's hunt was below zero but not far of a stalk for him. I post holed for 2 days before getting my opportunity and had near zero temps all 3 days of my hunt.

Folks at Jackson office of WG&F are the best resources for bison hunting there. They keep tabs daily later in season where they are and are going, GWs will help you any way they can to get a harvest but you have to be sure of your target, cows look like young bulls.

Jackson is really need during winter too, you can find some reasonable lodging rates if you are a hunter. We stayed in a cabin at a hotel and cooked our own meals.
              My last cow probably cost us $750 all in with the resident license and trip costs. Just awesome meat.
              We may be in for a bull tag this year but spouse should draw a moose tag so we'll see.

Wyoming bison are open to NR, but they are looking to jack the tag cost way up next year, apply this year if you want one. They are eligible for B&C with Wyoming state tags.

Comment

I wanna see what a bison robe looks like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                  I wanna see what a bison robe looks like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Every bison you ever saw was wearing one.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                    We've taken 3 cows. Will not apply for a cow again only bulls.
                    Hunting is tough especially for cows. They usually hang out in the Park an only move to the NER late in January where they can be hunted.

Best bet for a cow is to go early and look on the NF near Shadow MT. Bulls can be taken on the NF early as well, they usually move around more and end up where you can hunt them in Sept and earlier on the Elk Refuge.

Outfitters are just for retrieval usually, they just put you on a horse and ride you up to take a shot . Most folks go DIY and use the outfitters for retrieval and gutting. A few folks go guided but really only the horses are needed.
                    Late hunting is on National Elk Refuge.

If you're hunting late be prepared for deep snow and bitter cold. We hunted on foot, DIY and had Tag and Drag move them to the retrieval road and gut them. We hung and processed ourselves at home.
                    Our cows were 6.5 and 4.5 years old and made great euros and heavy nice robes from Moyle Mink and Tannery.
                    I've fished Flat Creek a few times in the summer. That sure do look different in the winter!

Comment

I knew the "robe " comment would draw someone in. The robe is just what a tanned bison hide is called. I've seen and tried on a a bison coat, maybe the Hulk could wear one but not me.

If they open area 3 that would be the area for a big bull.

Comment

Working...
                      X