Help me figure out what has happened to our turkeys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redraider View Post
    We had a biologist tell us that turkeys were on a bell curve. No matter what you did they would eventually drop in population for a few years then rebound.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

I heard this as well and we experienced our worst spring other than the 2010 drought on our place for turkeys in 2020 and a slight drop off in 2019. We had a lot of turkeys in the several seasons before. A lot of hens (groups of 40-60) and Toms (groups of 15-20) but the jakes were awol that last year before the drop offs. Whether it was a bad hatch or some kind of disease/ die off, it was poor sightings and poor hunting for Toms the past two seasons . This season lead up has been quite the opposite. The jakes from the 2 years past have matured and our numbers are pretty good....plus the hens are in good numbers again as well. Gotta keep thumping the coons, foxes and skunks though.!
    Last edited by Smart; 02-28-2021, 03:31 PM.

Comment

If they hatch when it's dry the fire ants will kill them to get moisture and of course hogs, coons, and possums.

Comment

The #1 predator of Turkeys is not coons, cats, skunks, coyotes, or even hogs...it's CROWS.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
          The #1 predator of Turkeys is not coons, cats, skunks, coyotes, or even hogs...it's CROWS.

Glad we don't see hardly any of those out west at our place if that's the case. My local pig place is littered with them

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
            That’s an interesting idea. I can’t imagine that it’s actually correct though. Just for record, according to my wife, I have been wrong before! :

Comment

Sore head

“” Avian pox is a mild to severe, slow developing disease of birds caused by an avipoxvirus and three common strains have been identified. The three strains are fowl pox virus, pigeon pox virus and canary pox virus. The strains vary in their virulence and have the ability to infect other avian species. However, many of the strains are group specific. Approximately sixty species of birds from 20 families have been diagnosed with avian pox. The strain seen in wild turkeys is the fowl pox virus.

Avian pox lesions (wart-like growths) occur on the unfeathered parts of the bird's body and, in some cases, the mouth, larynx, and/or trachea.

DISTRIBUTION

Avian pox has been observed in a variety of avian hosts worldwide. The disease is most common in the temperate (warm and humid) parts of the world and is usually observed in relation to seasonal mosquito cycles. Avian pox has been diagnosed in upland game birds, songbirds (mourning doves and finches), marine birds, pet birds (canaries and parrots), chickens, turkeys, occasionally raptors and rarely in waterfowl. In Michigan, it has been diagnosed in the brown-headed cowbird, American goldfinch, ruffed grouse, mourning dove, broad-winged hawk, common raven, wild turkey, trumpeter swan, bald eagle, house sparrow, American robin, European starling, sandhill crane and American crow. Avian pox has been identified in birds since earliest history but it is still currently considered to be an emerging viral disease. All North American cases have been relatively recent.

TRANSMISSION

Transmission of the avian pox virus can occur in a number of ways. The disease can be spread via mechanical vectors, primarily by species of mosquitoes (at least 10). Transmission occurs when the mosquito feeds on an infected bird that has a viremia (pox virus circulating in the blood) present or on virus-laden secretions from a pox lesion and then feeds on an uninfected bird. Mosquitoes can harbor and transmit the virus for a month or longer after feeding on an infected bird. Experimentally, stable flies have shown the capability of being able to transmit the pox virus.

Avian pox can also be transmitted by direct contact between infected and susceptible birds. The virus is transmitted through abraded or broken skin or the conjunctiva (mucous membrane covering the anterior surface of the eyeball). Indirect transmission of the pox virus can also occur via ingestion when food and water sources, feeders, perches, cages, or clothing are contaminated with virus-containing scabs shed from the lesions of an infected bird. The pox virus is highly resistant to drying and may survive months to years in the dried scabs. Indirect transmission can also occur via inhalation of pox virus infected dander, feather debris and air-borne particles.

Mosquitoes are probably responsible for transmission within local areas, while wild birds are responsible for outbreaks over greater distances.””

My buddy owns 2500 acres in between Voss and doole and had a big lose same with our other college roommate from HICO tc

Stop feeding program and consulting with TP&W might answer your question
              Predator, varmints, ect might be partially but not entirely the problem
              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 02-28-2021, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bugleboy View Post
                That’s an interesting idea. I can’t imagine that it’s actually correct though. Just for record, according to my wife, I have been wrong before! :

Comment

Those roadrunners can eat alot of eggs/small chicks. They are your worse enemy....

Comment

Well there you go! Dang crows!!! Now you remind me of my wife. 😁😁😁

Comment

I’m between Quanah and Childress, on our lease they are gone. Anybody else in that area?

Comment

Working...
                      X