Deer Lease and Turkey Hunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jerp View Post
    We are not far from you - just east of Moran and are seeing - or not seeing the same thing. I can't imagine better turkey habitat but birds are few and far between the last couple of years.

We are in Northern Erath county and we have always plenty of birds. The last 2 years have been really tough very few birds. We had a hail storm in May of 19 with baseball size hail and a couple of droughts i guess

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
      Is jump shooting ducks from a tank unsportsmanlike? Depending on the terrain it can be harder to sneak up on a tank than it is calling them in.

I guess its up to the individual to determine what they deem sporting. Harder doesn't always equate to more sportsman-like. I mean folks can sneak a group of Canada geese, specks or snows on your belly that is an *** whipping and shoot across the line of heads as they rise and kill a pile or your limits anyway and it not be sporting in the minds of the massses who work birds to call and shoot them over decoys..

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
        I think "ethical" was too strong a word. I would say its not "sporting" to a true turkey hunter just like not shooting ducks which have landed or jump shooting them from a tank. Its legal but not sporting. It takes the fun out of the hunt imo.

If I were on a big lease where turkey hunting was popular I'd like to see no killing during the fall season and limit the number per member to what the flock numbers would support. Preferably no rifles for turkey.

Its not that big of a stretch imo. We have many leases which are bow only.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
        Is jump shooting ducks from a tank unsportsmanlike? Depending on the terrain it can be harder to sneak up on a tank than it is calling them in.
        I think sporting is in quotes above for a reason.

If you change sporting to "How I think it should be done" then you probably have it. I am a novice turkey hunter. I want to call them in and kill them with a shotgun. I also like to eat turkeys. I don't think I would pass on one this fall when I am deer hunting with a bow in my hand.

I like hunting quail behind pointing dogs, and think that is how it should be done. I am not a big fan of corning the roads and shooting them, but it is certainly legal and I don't have a great argument against it outside of population numbers arguments.

As far as jump shooting ducks, that seems to be a pretty pure form of hunting as it requires stealthily stalking prey. Sitting in a gigantic blind or pit with hundreds of plastic decoys seems a bit contrived if you look at it honestly in comparison.

I think "sporting" is a bad word for hunters to use. It is bullets in the anti-hunting movement's gun for certain practices. They have already used it to go after lion and bear hunting with dogs in some states to the detriment of ungulate populations.
        Last edited by El General; 04-22-2020, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
          As far as jump shooting ducks, that seems to be a pretty pure form of hunting as it requires stealthily stalking prey. Sitting in a gigantic blind or pit with hundreds of plastic decoys seems a bit contrived if you look at it honestly in comparison.

I guess it depends on how big or little your tank dam is ......I've never heard of jump shooting tanks as stealthily stalking or pure......and I've done my share of it when I was younger. I guess my tank dams were too tall to call it stealthy... It was more like a walk or drive to the vicinity and a bum rush over the hill, cutting them 2-3 foot off the water.... or I guess if you were real quiet and wanted to get dirty you could crawl up it and water swat em from the top of the dam with tall grass.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            I guess its up to the individual to determine what they deem sporting. Harder doesn't always equate to more sportsman-like. I mean folks can sneak a group of Canada geese, specks or snows on your belly that is an *** whipping and shoot across the line of heads as they rise and kill a pile or your limits anyway and it not be sporting in the minds of the massses who work birds to call and shoot them over decoys..
            To me, calling turkeys into close range IS the essence of the sport. Shooting them with a rifle, while legal, is more or less just a technical exercise and robs the hunter of the enjoyment of the challenge and the adrenaline rush you get from calling one in. In my opinion, it's almost the same for calling in ducks over decoys but I wouldn't look down on anyone who is hunting ducks by jump shooting tanks.

Comment

To me, calling turkeys into close range IS the essence of the sport. Shooting them with a rifle, while legal, is more or less just a technical exercise and robs the hunter of the enjoyment of the challenge and the adrenaline rush you get from calling one in. In my opinion, it's almost the same for calling in ducks over decoys but I wouldn't look down on anyone who is hunting ducks by jump shooting tanks.

You and I agree on both.........you can see my post 10 on turkeys for my similar thoughts......I just didn't go into as much detail as you.

Comment

Man, I have been known to jump shoot ducks, shoot geese off of oats and even kill pigs and deer at feeders. I enjoy the technical exercise of killing. . . and eating.

Comment

Working...
                X