Property Tax Protest Lawyer Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property Tax Protest Lawyer Recommendation

I am looking for a lawyer to help protest my property taxes. Basically the appraisal district has gone up more than 10%, broke off 1ac of my 10ac and called it commercial ( I do have my machine shop renting the shop from me, but not 1ac ). My taxes went up something like 40%

On top of that, my exemption had previously been about $75000, but new law changed it to $40k so now Im paying taxes on $35k MORE than before the law that was supposed to REDUCE taxes.

I am livid, and looking far a lawyer for Grimes County. I am located between Navasota and Magnolia, but tax office is Anderson, TX

Google search has only turned up some in Houston, dont know if that would be my only choice or what.

Goodluck, when I saw an appraisal district using a measuring wheel on a floating dock then taxing it, I knew it were over with.

They are gonna push it to the limit.
    Last edited by Voodoo; 06-28-2022, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo View Post
      Goodluck, when I saw an appraisal district using a measuring wheel on a floating dock then taxing it, I knew it were over with.

They are gonna push it to the limit.
      Yeah, Grimes County has always been pretty good about not sticking it to us, but apparently they are getting greedy now.

I had no idea they could just divide my property like that. What happens when I move the machines and its just my shop on my property again? But 1 ac is "commercial"? We are near the end of a dead end road in rural Grimes County. The shop is here to keep costs down, and they just want to ratchet it up.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
        Yeah, Grimes County has always been pretty good about not sticking it to us, but apparently they are getting greedy now.

I had no idea they could just divide my property like that. What happens when I move the machines and its just my shop on my property again? But 1 ac is "commercial"? We are near the end of a dead end road in rural Grimes County. The shop is here to keep costs down, and they just want to ratchet it up.
        you will also get a 3 yr back tax bill on the 1 acre coming out of ag. Used to be 5 yrs, 2 acres of mine, but the state pretending to do tax relief changed it to 3 yrs. I called our ag appraiser and he said it was state law and criminal, he's a local farmer too. He did immediately move 1 of the 2 acres at the house to ag for me.

Comment

That’s not a machine shop, that’s a barn.

Comment

We use Bettencourt. I know they do Harris and Montgomery counties. Not sure about yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Check to see if they have all of your acreage on your Homestead Exemption. If they changed that make sure to challenge as that will at least keep the increase to 10% per year. It does not keep the overall valuation from skyrocketing, just keeps your exposure to 10% per year. The key is you are fighting the valuation, not the amount of your taxes. They will not even consider if the argument is that your taxes are too high.

Good luck! We are fighting ours as well...... valuation went from just under $500k to $2.4 million!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Mine in Lavaca County went up 19.9%. I questioned it and have a Protest Hearing on Thursday with the ARB board.
                This should be interesting

Comment

Just got off the phone for my protest myself in Grayson county. What a load of bull. They came $1000 off the appraised value, whoooo, might have to throw myself a party with that maybe $5 in tax savings. Hope y'all have better luck fighting through companies.

They cited comps and inflationary values. We're exploding like tannerite under a hog feeder with people from Dallas, California, and northerners, and they're buying everything in sight for way over listed prices daily, all the time. Building patio homes with zero yard off 691 for 400 - 600k. I'm not sure where it all stops or if it ever does, but it's getting ridiculous to even try to live around here anymore. Appraiser suggested going to the city and county budget meetings, might have to go that route for the future, but that's more time off work and more hoops to jump through. That phone call was a huge disappointment. My house has doubled in perceived value in 8 years since purchase with no end in sight!

Comment

I was paying about 1200 month in tax here in Travis county and that was homestead... I sold and haven't looked back but I feel your pain. Its just a matter of time before all Texas counties move way up on taxes.

Comment

One of the best arguments is if you can get an independent appraisal of the home/property and that can help if it does in fact appraise less than their valuation.

Comment

Its all starting to turn into a mafia.

I’ll caveat. I actually heard the appraiser say they wish when measuring the floating dock “they wish they could even raise property values based on the type of vehicles on the property”.

I also heard TPWD say “we liked it during covid because nobody was here”

Its the world today.

Comment

I guess I'm lucky. My taxes are frozen since I turned 65. The valuation had increased but not my tax amount. Now If I make improvements it's a new ball game.
                          Last edited by Stan R; 06-28-2022, 07:10 PM.

Comment

I fought mine in tarrant county. It’s a complete made up number on what they tax you at. I gave them hard detailed numbers and they came up with some BS and still didn’t drop much. Was my first time disputing so I learned a bit. It’s hard to lay out a bunch of facts and numbers in 10 mins. Idk if a Lawyer is worth it IMO. I doubt one could have got my actual taxable amount down. I’m on homestead exemption. I don’t see my taxable amount not increasing 10% every year for how ever long I live in this house.

Comment

Working...
                            X