2022 Food Plot Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
    Anybody else having issues finding the right seeds? I am struggling to find forage beans (non RReady) or Eagles, Alyce Clover and sunn hemp.
    Have you tried east tx seed or turners?

Comment

Anybody else having issues finding the right seeds? I am struggling to find forage beans (non RReady) or Eagles, Alyce Clover and sunn hemp.
      Turner Seeds or Hancock Seeds probably have the seeds you want.

Comment

Originally posted by GLM View Post
        Turner Seeds or Hancock Seeds probably have the seeds you want.
        Thanks for the suggestions. I have not checked Turner, but know Hancock has them. Have talked to ETx Seed about a few other items, but not all of them. I was trying to stay away from spending an arm and leg in shipping. Driving to Tyler would not be terrible if I could get everything there.

Comment

Unfortunately, with life and weather when i could get there, i still havent planted. Itll be the weekend of the 15th next i go and hopefully will be able to get everything planted then

Comment

I finally got up to my place to assess how far along my fall/spring plots were, and it looks like it will be a while before I do any summer planting. Crimson clover is about 50% finished blooming, but the Arrowleaf is still going strong. The volume of organic matter still standing is amazing, and should make great fawning cover.

Arrowleaf in the background

What it looks like closer to the ground
            Last edited by EastTexun; 09-22-2022, 10:57 AM.

Comment

What all did you plant this past fall - crimson clover, arrowleaf, and what else?

Comment

Been trying to get clover established for 2 years and it looks like I may have finally turned a corner. This is Pennington Seed Durana clover. Don’t know if the deer are eating it but it sure looks pretty. It seems like having oats in with it last fall may have helped as a cover crop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                  What all did you plant this past fall - crimson clover, arrowleaf, and what else?
                  I also have seed oats (heavy grazer I believe) cereal rye, and some white clover on the edges.

Comment

Grayson- that clover looks good. Get you an enclosure pen in there so you can see exactly how much is being eaten. And maybe add some grass specific herbicide to keep that clover stand strong.

Comment

I also have seed oats (heavy grazer I believe) cereal rye, and some white clover on the edges.
                      Do you mind if I ask where you got your seed? Did you buy a pre-mix or each seed separate?

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                        Do you mind if I ask where you got your seed? Did you buy a pre-mix or each seed separate?
                        Sure! I am an open book on this stuff, and my main goal is to share what I have learned through blood, sweat, tears and lots of trial and error.

My main "mix" is 100lbs of small grains, combined with ~5 lbs of clover per acre. For the small grains, I change the mix depending on food plot and year, but a good rule of thumb is 50/50 between Cereal Rye (Elbon variety) and Seed Oats (not horse oats or feed oats). The clovers can be white, arrowleaf, crimson or red clover, but I tend to plant arrowleaf and crimson with the cereal rye. Reason being, white clover is a much lower growing clover, and does not compete as well with the taller oats and cereal rye once spring comes. I buy my seeds and mix my own, and I normally get them from Huntsville Feed, but have bought them from other feed stores. The key is to make sure you have fresh seeds and the specific varieties. Some years I have to make multiple trips to get everything I want, but the effort pays off.

What you are seeing in the pictures is a not just special seeds though. I have been no-tilling for several years (probably 8 or more) and have been working on my organic material very hard. I have also added several tons of lime to the acre, fertilized a couple times, and I try to keep a planted forage going nearly all year to keep up the organic material but also to "tie up" NPK so it doesn't leach out. My soil is basically sand, so if it remains fallow the required nutrients leach out quickly. It is very evident when I take soil samples..the dirt from my food plots that have been established for some time is so much darker and heartier than a new food plot or dirt around camp. Keep up the questions...I like this stuff almost as much as big deer.

Comment

We don't plant Spring plots anymore. The browse in the area is as good as or better than plots, so it seemed a waste of money, occasionally I will plant some soybeans. Most of the guys supplemental feed or minerals.
                          Might plant some Sorghum or Milo for a Winter carb.

Comment

Changed camera position, but you can see what the cereal rye has done in the last few weeks. Over 4 feet tall in most areas. Planted the middle strip where I had mostly brassicas and clover with buckwheat and sunn hemp (and some okra) about a month ago. Seeds hung on until we got rain about 10 days ago and are coming on strong. Clover is making a comeback as well.

Lot of doe hanging around and I'm hoping to see some fawns on cam soon.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here is my approach to this years spring plot

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                                Here is my approach to this years spring plot

https://youtu.be/0yNU6htsW58

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing how well it grows this summer after drilling with all the free fertilizer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X