Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to defeat an ISD bond issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best way to defeat an ISD bond issue?

Does anyone here have experience or knowledge in strategies or methods in defeating a school bond issue at election time in May. I think it is time to stand up to the school boards and their desire to build athletic buildings and fields, raising everyone's taxes.

Vote no. Convince your neighbors and other community members to vote no.

If you are in a suburban area you can start a thread on next door app and convince all the soccer mom’s that the bond is nothing but toxic masculinity wrapped in racism and will create further social injustices to underserved peoples of color and lbgtqiaopwertnmcxzsd peoples

Comment

Yes- fields and buildings are a huge waste ,kids don’t deserve them and should stick with their Nintendo’s .

Comment

Uh, vote no. Duh! I hope it passes!

Comment

Vote no then vote to replace the board

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
            Yes- fields and buildings are a huge waste ,kids don’t deserve them and should stick with their Nintendo’s .
            Lol!

OP, safest bet is to make sure you live in a community that doesn’t place a premium on education, the future, or whatever else you oppose.

Comment

The first question I would ask is "why". Do the students of your district not deserve quality facilities? I got a lot of enjoyment out of fields and weight rooms and gyms as a kid. We want "well rounded" students, but then act like the only place that happens is in classrooms. I'll tell you a fact....I use the things that coaches emphasized to me everyday in the business world. Hardwork, teamwork, dedication, perseverance, etc. I can't tell you the last time I used algebra though.

Our district saw incredible growth in the last decade. Going from one HS to now 3. We had to have better facilities and the only way to do that was through bond initiatives. Nobody wants to pay more taxes, but I think it's nice that our community has a nice stadium for our teams to play in, nice gyms to compete in and ample classroom space when we need it. Thank God the people in my community care enough about our kids that they're not going to school in portable buildings and playing ball in a cow pasture.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                The first question I would ask is "why". Do the students of your district not deserve quality facilities? I got a lot of enjoyment out of fields and weight rooms and gyms as a kid. We want "well rounded" students, but then act like the only place that happens is in classrooms. I'll tell you a fact....I use the things that coaches emphasized to me everyday in the business world. Hardwork, teamwork, dedication, perseverance, etc. I can't tell you the last time I used algebra though.

Our district saw incredible growth in the last decade. Going from one HS to now 3. We had to have better facilities and the only way to do that was through bond initiatives. Nobody wants to pay more taxes, but I think it's nice that our community has a nice stadium for our teams to play in, nice gyms to compete in and ample classroom space when we need it. Thank God the people in my community care enough about our kids that they're not going to school in portable buildings and playing ball in a cow pasture.
                Word!

Comment

The school district just built a new indoor football practice facility. This thing is crazy, I’m sure it’s better than what most colleges have…

Comment

Curt- I hear what you are saying, but some of these districts are going overboard in extravagant, state of the art facilities, using tax payer funds because “it’s for the kids!” Then go on to accuse you of hating kids because you didn’t want to spend $60 MILL on a football stadium.

Like any other bureaucracy there is almost no looking at where budget cuts can be made to partially fund their wants.

Comment

By having a good spokesman and funding for advertising. Have to get the word out to voters besides what the schools, teachers, and administrators are sending parents. It was a two part bond. One was voted down, but the other passed.
                      They've had another pass since and now my medium sized district is over a billion dollars in bond debt.

Comment

Well, I was looking for strategies and a couple gave some good ideas, thank you Playa and AC.

The high school has a declining population, sliding over the last five years, down over 20 %, is in the bottom half vs the state average in reading, right at state average in math, and not one thing is addressing education. I need to defeat this expensive bond and send a message to the board that education comes first, then athletics. They are called STUDENT athletes.

Comment

How much do the students deserve; where do you draw your line? Lambos for the drivers Ed program? How about the districts that have these new high dollar sports facilities AND has elementary kids out in portable buildings?

I’d rather spend money on education than just about any other public initiative. It’s a wise investment. But I do not believe the money is wisely spent in many districts.

I used algebra today in the professional world, didn’t kick a field goal though.

Comment

Your last sentence sounds like something that a leftist would say to make taxpayers feel like they are voting against kids. That is not the case with this district.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                              Curt- I hear what you are saying, but some of these districts are going overboard in extravagant, state of the art facilities, using tax payer funds because “it’s for the kids!” Then go on to accuse you of hating kids because you didn’t want to spend $60 MILL on a football stadium.

Like any other bureaucracy there is almost no looking at where budget cuts can be made to partially fund their wants.
                              No doubt some go extravagant. But you can have really nice facilities and still be fiscally responsible. I've seen it done and I've been a part of doing it.

But if you take districts like Katy, McKinney, HISD, CyFair, Etc., their annual budgets are probably around $1B. Spending $60MM on a 50year stadium, with a 30yr bond payout, that supports 5-10 high schools is not as crazy as it sounds. The kids have to have facilities. You can build cheap, but that's what you get.

Comment

Working...
                              X