No announcement yet.

CNC router projects! who has one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been telling everyone I know that there is a huge market for CNC router work. Every shop within 50 miles of Austin with a 4'x8' machine or larger, is tied up for months.

Once we purchase a house, my garage is going to be home to a 5'x10' Shop Sabre!

Comment

Mmoses, I picked mine up last Saturday and took me about a week to put together. I finally got it in the shop and am moving through some saw dust like its going out of style. I borrowed your Texas dish (about 6.5 in wide), I made a finger joint box for my bottle of Andaluzia whiskey, and knocked out a quick logo (did it in spare plywood so there is a pit of tearout - might try a downcut bit for it later)

Next time you come to San Antonio let me know and we will get together and share some notes.

Comment

Awesome. We are looking into a 4x8 camaster. We have large workloads just have to decided to keep doing everything by hand or go ahead and automate the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewboy22 View Post
          Mmoses, I picked mine up last Saturday and took me about a week to put together. I finally got it in the shop and am moving through some saw dust like its going out of style. I borrowed your Texas dish (about 6.5 in wide), I made a finger joint box for my bottle of Andaluzia whiskey, and knocked out a quick logo (did it in spare plywood so there is a pit of tearout - might try a downcut bit for it later)

Next time you come to San Antonio let me know and we will get together and share some notes.

thats awesome!!! What size is it?

Yeah plywood is tough with the tear-out. Is the xcarve software pretty easy to figure out?

keep posting pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
            thats awesome!!! What size is it?

Yeah plywood is tough with the tear-out. Is the xcarve software pretty easy to figure out?

keep posting pictures!
            Easel has its plusses and minuses. It is free as well and you don't need an x-carve to use it for design. It also has lots of tools like box makers, replicators and what nots. My x-carve is 750mm x 750mm

Comment

Man i have always wanted one. Just need to get a shop up big enough to justify taking up that much space.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGus View Post
                Man i have always wanted one. Just need to get a shop up big enough to justify taking up that much space.
                I seen lots set ups where the cnc was built below a workbench. You got room!

Comment

I seen lots set ups where the cnc was built below a workbench. You got room!
                  I saw one guy build a table that hinged off the wall, like one of them old ironing boards. The cnc machine was attached to the table and everything folded out of the way when not in use. Lots of space saving ideas out there.

Comment

Couple more things done in the CNC. Any tips for painting mdf? It's a pain

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Couple more things done in the CNC. Any tips for painting mdf? It's a pain

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                      Great work!!

Comment

mmoses, when you got your cnc set up was your spoilboard "true"? I am trying to get mine as close as possible and right now I am about 0.030" lower on the right side than the left. I am thinking about getting a 1" bit and resurface my spoil board.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewboy22 View Post
                          mmoses, when you got your cnc set up was your spoilboard "true"? I am trying to get mine as close as possible and right now I am about 0.030" lower on the right side than the left. I am thinking about getting a 1" bit and resurface my spoil board.
                          I added a wasteboard. the one designed by Myers woodshop. It has the wingnut on it.

I did surface that board with https://www.amazon.com/Whiteside-Spo...s%2C227&sr=8-4

My suggestion is to get some dust collection before you surface MDF!

I have gone through a couple of brushes before I got the suckit dust boot

Comment

The machine was $1650, $200 in bits, $140 in the enclosure/bench/wasteboard/clamps/hardware.

Next up is a dust boot($100) and the tool bit zeroing plate($120).

Not too bad I think.
                            Very reasonable. Work off G-Code? Will it accept a DXF?

Got some projects for you if interested

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                              Very reasonable. Work off G-Code? Will it accept a DXF?

Got some projects for you if interested
                              Yes sir.

DXF and SVGs can be imported easily.

Comment

I added a wasteboard. the one designed by Myers woodshop. It has the wingnut on it.

I did surface that board with https://www.amazon.com/Whiteside-Spo...s%2C227&sr=8-4

My suggestion is to get some dust collection before you surface MDF!

I have gone through a couple of brushes before I got the suckit dust boot

Thanks for the info. I have the dust boot that came with the x carve, but am looking at upgrading some stuff using tbdcnc brackets and new z axis. I am thinking of taking off the spoilboard and loosening and retightening my frame. I am hoping this will help with my alignment. Then I will resurface if needed.

Comment

Working...
                                X