Refill Your Thermacell Cartridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refill Your Thermacell Cartridge

Here's an easy way to save money by refilling your Thermacell butane cartridges. You will need the following:

Empty cartridge
    Ronsol or other butane bottle
    Wire cutters or electrical pliers
    Balloon, rubber band, or ?
    Small screw
    Screwdriver
    Knife or sandpaper
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321893443.966368.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	24878408

Take your empty cartridge and make yourself a mark where you will fill to. I like to do this with a new one when I get it, or just use the following pic for reference.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321893541.900248.jpg
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	24878409

Next, we need to remove the brass top from the cartridge. I use either wire cutters or electrical pliers work well too. Anything you can use that won't damage the rubber o-ring. The fitting is pressed in so get a grip and wiggle as you pull. Now, get your mind out of the gutter.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321893710.156463.jpg
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	24878414

With the fitting removed, you will be able to see another piece down in there with a membrane of sort in it. This is where the screw comes in. Take a small screw and get it started into the membrane. Once you have it in there good, give it a good pull. It will come out fairly easy.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321893863.817352.jpg
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	24878417

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321893900.531008.jpg
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	24878418

Now, you're ready to replace the brass fitting. I like to get it started by hand and then turn it upside down and press down. It will go back into place relatively easily.

You're now ready to prepare your butane bottle. The plastic tip is larger than the opening of the cartridge so we need to either whittle it down a bit with a knife or use sandpaper. You want it just small enough to go into the cartridge without hanging up.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321894128.184249.jpg
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	24878419

Finished it will look similar to this.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321894170.653725.jpg
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	24878420

Lastly, before you can fill your empty cartridge, you need to make a gasket of sorts for the butane bottle. I've used a small rubber band and recently found that a piece of a balloon works well. This keeps the butane from escaping when filling. Positing your "gasket" pretty close to the top.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321894324.291569.jpg
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	24878421

With your cartridge on a flat surface, you're now ready to fill er up. Every once in awhile, it may stop the filling process. Simple let a little air out of the cartridge and continue. Here's the end result.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321894437.276373.jpg
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	24878422

There you have it. With things you have around the house and a bottle of butane, you can easily refill your old Thermacell cartridges.

sweet! Imma do that. I kept several canister for a reason that I may find a use for it at later times. Now this is gonna help me with the cause. Thanks for the great post!

Comment

cool

Comment

Gotta try this

Comment

cool!

Comment

I'll just pay for the refills my patience will have me spendin more $ to replace the screwdriver, butane, wire cutters, and knife!!

Comment

thanks for the post

Comment

interesting, thanks for sharing

Comment

How much do you save by doing this, and what about the mebrane piece that you pulled out. Does that not hold the liquid butane in the bottle so it does not leak out? Just wondering?

Comment

Originally posted by TXArrowSlinger View Post
                    How much do you save by doing this, and what about the mebrane piece that you pulled out. Does that not hold the liquid butane in the bottle so it does not leak out? Just wondering?
                    The bottle of butane was 2 something at Wal-Mart. I would imagine you could fill up 7 or 8 times with one bottle. Refills at Academy are 6 bucks with one cartridge, so you would save quite a bit.

I just throw the membrane away. I haven't had any leakage issues at all.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, these type of threads are what what this site awesome!!

Comment

so all that it is is butane gas being burned????? **** i thought it was some kind of potion. learn something new every day.

Comment

What about the bug repellent pad? The butane burning by itself doesn't do a lot to keep the bugs away. Not much for heat either.

Comment

I get lots of tie out of the pads, they can be used several times and the butane usually runs out faster than the pad does

You can do a google search and there are DIY pad "recharge" methods but I am a little more reluctant to try them, dont want to poison myself by burning something I should not

Comment

thanks for the DIY, this should come in real handy

Comment

Working...
                              X