No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well...using the backdoor method I didn't get my first choice archery deer tag...so I'm 0/3 on draws this year, and I'm frankly not too impressed with my 2nd and 3rd choice picks. So...I'm looking at going OTC in Colorado for elk now. Anyone looking at hunting the Weminuche or West Elk Wilderness areas?

Comment

I've hunted unit 54 in the west elk wilderness. Nice area holds good numbers of elk but its rugged country. Lots of mule deer the years I hunted.

Comment

I'm leaning towards areas that are tough to access to limit hunting pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
          I'm leaning towards areas that are tough to access to limit hunting pressure.
          CO OTC is the place to do it.

IMO you need to put a crew together or line up a packer if you are going Solo and planning on going in further than about 3 miles from a Trailhead.

I do think 54 is one of the better OTC units to consider if an older age class bull is desired but I also hear it's pretty rough in there.

I thought you put in for Utah deer again as well? There will also be a 2nd draw in NV for deer coming up.

Comment

At the time I couldn't justify spending the three hundred dollars for a tag that I thought I might eat since the draw odds for 35 have been 97% for the past several years, especially since were having a third baby and my wife would kill me if I blew 300 bucks for nothing. I think tag reallocation is getting a lot of people this year though. Will be interesting to see what the draw odds are this year. I didn't apply for NV either for the same reason, and I doubt any of the Ruby mountain units would go to the left over tags, but I'll look into it. Think I'm better off going to 53 or 54 for elk though, if I go that route I'm absolutely lining a packer up though!

Comment

At the time I couldn't justify spending the three hundred dollars for a tag that I thought I might eat since the draw odds for 35 have been 97% for the past several years, especially since were having a third baby and my wife would kill me if I blew 300 bucks for nothing. I think tag reallocation is getting a lot of people this year though. Will be interesting to see what the draw odds are this year. I didn't apply for NV either for the same reason, and I doubt any of the Ruby mountain units would go to the left over tags, but I'll look into it. Think I'm better off going to 53 or 54 for elk though, if I go that route I'm absolutely lining a packer up though!
              Well there will likely be leftover archery deer tags all around Unit 35....Units 15,23,24,25,26,34 all had leftovers last year.

Unit 54 archery Elk is a draw unit but has leftovers since they changed it from OTC 5 years ago. There were 34 last year....53 is OTC. I can help you if you get a 54 tag.

The Rubies are actually gonna have more archery Deer tags this year than last. It'll make it to the 2nd draw for sure.

Comment

Well I did not draw a deer tag in CO.

We are OTC for elk and now I will buy a bear tag in August.

Comment

Well my buddy twdjr on here says that several of his buddies have found a huge glitch in the Colorado back door method and it can't be relied on right now. I just confirmed it with our Colorado outfitter. Seems that lots of folks are showing a PP for this year when they should have easily drawn their unit because they have more than enough PP's. So I'm no giving up hope yet.

rhendrix it may not be over yet!

Comment

Well, it looks like unit 74 OTC tag for me. My buddy drew a deer tag and I will be following along, and hunting lower than he is. Going to be the first week of the season.

Lots of glassing and hunting water, maybe find a big boy getting ready for the rut off by himself.

Comment

The outfitter I hunt with has 2 unit 15 second season archery hunts available for $8000.00 inc unit wide landowner tags. licenses are $789.00. A awesome hunt! I have been hunting with him for 6 years and have killed 4 bull from 300" to 350". PM me if interested.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                        Well my buddy twdjr on here says that several of his buddies have found a huge glitch in the Colorado back door method and it can't be relied on right now. I just confirmed it with our Colorado outfitter. Seems that lots of folks are showing a PP for this year when they should have easily drawn their unit because they have more than enough PP's. So I'm no giving up hope yet.

rhendrix it may not be over yet!

Man that'd be awesome, and difficult at the same time since I switched gears in my head and it's gonna be tough getting back into mule deer mindset.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                          Well, it looks like unit 74 OTC tag for me. My buddy drew a deer tag and I will be following along, and hunting lower than he is. Going to be the first week of the season.

Lots of glassing and hunting water, maybe find a big boy getting ready for the rut off by himself.

I'm seriously considering 74 so I can hunt elk and scout next year for mule deer...why are you going so early?

Comment

I'm seriously considering 74 so I can hunt elk and scout next year for mule deer...why are you going so early?
                            Just because they want to hunt early for mule deer while trying to find bucks still in their summer patterns. I am open to going with another TBHer if they are open to hiking and hunting for a week. Early, late, it makes no difference to me. The mountains are mountains and elk are elk. I'm just happy to be there in His creation with a heavy pack, bow in hand and a prayer of thanks on my lips.

We forget sometimes with all the gear, techniques, draws, etc that many folks all over this globe will never have the opportunity to hunt critters, much less such grand creatures in such amazing country. That is why I always feel so blessed for the opportunity, much less getting something down.

Comment

Just because they want to hunt early for mule deer while trying to find bucks still in their summer patterns. I am open to going with another TBHer if they are open to hiking and hunting for a week. Early, late, it makes no difference to me. The mountains are mountains and elk are elk. I'm just happy to be there in His creation with a heavy pack, bow in hand and a prayer of thanks on my lips.

We forget sometimes with all the gear, techniques, draws, etc that many folks all over this globe will never have the opportunity to hunt critters, much less such grand creatures in such amazing country. That is why I always feel so blessed for the opportunity, much less getting something down.
                              Amen.

Comment

That's awesome man, if I end up buying an elk tag I'll let you know buddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X