No announcement yet.

SHNF hunting 2021-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has been quiet on this thread! I hope some of y’all are out there in this crisp morning! Coldest we’ve had this year and I hope it puts some animals on their feet for you! I was tempted to go but I’m headed to the archery range instead. Last big practice session for me before I head down to Laguna Atoscossa on Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Went out yesterday afternoon and it was really quiet. Heard a couple shots far off. Ran into some of the SHNF “wild” cattle herd but that was all I saw.

Comment

Originally posted by Miketex2016 View Post
        Went out yesterday afternoon and it was really quiet. Heard a couple shots far off. Ran into some of the SHNF “wild” cattle herd but that was all I saw.
        What is the story on the wild cattle? I am tucked into an area that is just about too thick to hunt with a pile of sign. Last time I came in here, fresh cow pies! Do these cattle count as an "exotic" species? I would have to call a friend, but I bet we could get one out!

As slow as the deer hunting has been, I am looking for other opportunities. Only hear the hogs when it is still dark and have not had a shot opportunity yet.

Comment

Comment

Prescribed burn hunting

How is hunting an area after a prescribed burn? I always assumed that after an area has been burned the animals should come back but the only experience I have is from Alberta, and they wouldn't like the open areas. Clear cuts were also a no go...

I ask because some of my areas I was planning on scouting are in the prescribed burn plan for this year.

Comment

Originally posted by PLBowhunter View Post
              How is hunting an area after a prescribed burn? I always assumed that after an area has been burned the animals should come back but the only experience I have is from Alberta, and they wouldn't like the open areas. Clear cuts were also a no go...

I ask because some of my areas I was planning on scouting are in the prescribed burn plan for this year.
              It may take a while, but once the fresh tender green growth comes back on the ground it may be as good as a food plot in some areas...

Comment

Looked like they were burning yesterday near 1375.

Comment

Originally posted by My Father’s Son View Post
                  It’s its own separate tag and doesn’t count against your normal license.
                  NOT correct. You still need your tag from license. The permit allows you to harvest a doe during rifle season. Otherwise, hunters can not harvest doe in general rifle. Archery ok, but you still wi have to use a tag from your license.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by My Father’s Son View Post
                    It’s its own separate tag and doesn’t count against your normal license.
                    This is 100% the correct answer.

Comment

Originally posted by roostar14 View Post
                      For those of you not on face book my name is Rudy. I run a tracking dog here in SHNF. If your for what ever reason feel you need a dog please hit me up here via messenger or pm me form y cell. i have a few recoveries in the sam. Be glad to help anyone out in need. We dont have a rate we charge gas if needed. thanks and good luck.

Something of a big thing on FB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That is very nice of you to offer your services hats off to Rudy

Comment

Howdy guys, following for when the 22-23 season thread is posted. New to TBH, not new to SHNF. I figure this thread has more serious hunters vs the facebook page yahoos. All my hunting buddies have moved since last season and I'm on the hunt for a scouting buddy. I work out of state most of the year but I come back for hunting season. I'll be scouting September and hunting all of bow season (mainly weekdays probably some weekends). I've got a boat and I'll probably be launching out of Scott's Ridge, maybe Cagle depending on the scouting reports. If you are interested let me know, I don't do public land gun season though so don't put all you eggs in my basket for the wild wild west lol. *Boat is a 15' allweld with a 2018 merc 25hp so 2 guys and gear is pretty much max capacity

Comment

Originally posted by StickFlinger View Post
                            Howdy guys, following for when the 22-23 season thread is posted. New to TBH, not new to SHNF. I figure this thread has more serious hunters vs the facebook page yahoos. All my hunting buddies have moved since last season and I'm on the hunt for a scouting buddy. I work out of state most of the year but I come back for hunting season. I'll be scouting September and hunting all of bow season (mainly weekdays probably some weekends). I've got a boat and I'll probably be launching out of Scott's Ridge, maybe Cagle depending on the scouting reports. If you are interested let me know, I don't do public land gun season though so don't put all you eggs in my basket for the wild wild west lol. *Boat is a 15' allweld with a 2018 merc 25hp so 2 guys and gear is pretty much max capacity
                            Holler at me with you number man. I live up here in Anderson and have hunted the sam hardcore for the last 15 years. I’ve killed a few missed a few lol.

Comment

I’m in the Pasadena area too man an need a hunting/scouting buddy let me know ���� Only been to the Sam a handful of times though

Comment

Last edited by 98ram; 07-29-2022, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X