Need some advice for Divorce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some advice for Divorce

My daughter is splitting up with her husband. Need to have some input on the first steps she should take. No kids involved (thank god) been married close to 7 years. I will say it’s based on they just can’t get along. Any advice on a good attorney to talk to. Brazoria County Or League City area be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

If no kids...and all else is decided upon, not sure you need to spend the money on an attorney if they are in agreement. However, if there is money involved, may need council.

Comment

My experience. She will end up in a great position. Enjoy the free ride!

Sent from my SM-A536V using Tapatalk

Comment

With no kids unless they have amassed alot of assets, family money, or a business involved lawyers are a waste. Biggest issue that most lawyers don't advise on is getting assets and debts into the right name immediately. You would be amazed how many times a woman is awarded the house so the kids don't have to move, however the mortgage stays in both names with no inforcable way to make her refinance in her name. Fast forward a few years and dad has late payments on his credit she can't qualify to refinance and he can't qualify for a mortgage because he is still liable for the one with his ex.
        ake sure any debt that he takes on has an inforcable plan for removing her from that obligation.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
          ake sure any debt that he takes on has an inforcable plan for removing her from that obligation.
          I wish I had gotten that advice. My ex was responsible for some debt but it was in my name. I had to rely on an unreliable person to pay on time. In the end I just paid it and then sued her for it in small claims. This way I was no longer on the hook to debtors

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

My wife went to her friends court hearing several months back and there was a couple there that did it themselves. The judge looked at their paperwork and said “do all parties agree to this”? They answered yes and he granted it. They walked out with a ton of saved money in their pocket.

Comment

Like others mentioned, if they both agree on the separation of assets then they can save money for sure. The second he gets a lawyer, she needs a lawyer. Imo it’s going to be better to retain one to represent your daughter. A simple uncontested divorce doesn’t have to cost a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                My experience. She will end up in a great position. Enjoy the free ride!

Sent from my SM-A536V using Tapatalk
                This ^^^^.

Comment

Shari Goldsberry.
                  281-485-3500

Offices in Pearland and Texas City

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                    My wife went to her friends court hearing several months back and there was a couple there that did it themselves. The judge looked at their paperwork and said “do all parties agree to this”? They answered yes and he granted it. They walked out with a ton of saved money in their pocket.

I went thorough this. If I remember correctly it cost a total of $175. That was about 20 years ago. We didn’t have any debt though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The most important thing, “no kids”.

Comment

My ex and I did ours for 300 dollars and we negotiated it over the dinner table ourselves. Kids are involved, but we agreed on most things. Had she lawyered up, I would have too and scorched the earth. We never even saw the judge, we just sent in the paperwork and he rubber stamped it.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                          With no kids unless they have amassed alot of assets, family money, or a business involved lawyers are a waste. Biggest issue that most lawyers don't advise on is getting assets and debts into the right name immediately. You would be amazed how many times a woman is awarded the house so the kids don't have to move, however the mortgage stays in both names with no inforcable way to make her refinance in her name. Fast forward a few years and dad has late payments on his credit she can't qualify to refinance and he can't qualify for a mortgage because he is still liable for the one with his ex.
                          Excellent post.

I have a buddy that is on wife 3 and is still on the note of wife 1's home. She can't qualify for it on her own, and it still affects his DTI when he applies for loans. Luckily she doesn't miss payments.

Comment

Start spending money on a attorney is the first thing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                              Thats how my ex and I did it after 23 years. Was an easy process and saved a ton of money in attorney fees.

Comment

Working...
                              X