No announcement yet.

Cottonseed or Mineral Blocks at Tractor Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve had cotton seed out in Robertson county going on a year. No deer touch it. Put a bale of alfalfa out and it turned to mold. Never touched it. In Kerrville when I put a bale out it was covered up in deer then the axis would hit it at night. And yes, TP&W private lands biologist was totally free and one heck of a guy at that.

Comment

Do you want your property to be a birthing suit for does and a bird watchers paradise or a place for mature bucks?

Have to be sure the info is applicable to your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
        https://www.whitetailhabitatsolution...bitat-problems

Doe factory - This is a good read on that particular problem. Doe groups have very tight home ranges, and can push mature bucks out of that area during the daytime.

When are you shooting your doe?
        I've become a believer in avoiding the "doe areas". Ya a mature buck may run through there during the rut but that's tough hunting. I'm sold on finding where the bucks group pre and post rut. Their natural instinct is to come to good groceries before to prep and after to recover.

Comment

Yes

Comment

Will not be shooting any bucks this year. Does only. Possibly in bow season if I can put on my big boy pants and take the heat. At 66 it’s getting harder on me. So probably November 6th. I rattled in a 4.5 year old opening day last year that was 125 maybe. I think a person will be hard pressed to find even a 135-140 in Robertson county. Least where I am.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
              There is no charge for them to come out and evaluate your place….your tax dollars at work.

That’s good to know. I would like to have one come out to my place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
                https://www.whitetailhabitatsolution...bitat-problems

Doe factory - This is a good read on that particular problem. Doe groups have very tight home ranges, and can push mature bucks out of that area during the daytime.

When are you shooting your doe?
                Is the solution to harvest more does, so that they don’t push the bucks away?

Comment

Originally posted by HTXTundra View Post
                  Is the solution to harvest more does, so that they don’t push the bucks away?
                  I would think it would depend on each situation. We seem to have a low fawning rate on our place, so I’ve been focused on creating cover to help fawn recruitment rate. If that jumps up this year I probably won’t repeat it next year. Also shoot our does early in season to create more space.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                    our company man biologist for our lease is against feeding protein for deer and insist it does no good. So of course our members think he is right so no protein feed on our lease other than by me and a couple others.
                    Im not sure you have a biologist.

Comment

Originally posted by BRUTE 23 View Post
                      Corn is not about the protein, its about the carbs for winter. Protein for growing, fat for milking and breeding, carbs for cold.

You want to get real crazy. Look up what give you more male offspring vs female offspring... protein vs carbs.
                      Such a true statement.... want buck? Feed em carbs, as they are gearing up for winter mating and battle

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X