TPWD Success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPWD Success!

After many years of applying for multiple categories, I received the e-Mail today that I drew the Spring Turkey hunt at the Matador from 4/20/2022 - 4/22/2022.

Does anyone have any experience with this hunt, or have any recommendations?

Excited to say the least!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by lmartin5 View Post
    After many years of applying for multiple categories, I received the e-Mail today that I drew the Spring Turkey hunt at the Matador from 4/20/2022 - 4/22/2022.

Does anyone have any experience with this hunt, or have any recommendations?

Excited to say the least!

Congratulations!! No help here but wishing you good luck.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
      Congratulations!! No help here but wishing you good luck.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Thanks Clay

Comment

Congrats! How many points did you have? I have 7 and have yet to be drawn for spring turkey

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
          Congrats! How many points did you have? I have 7 and have yet to be drawn for spring turkey

Thank you…I drew with 5 points.

Comment

Comment

My in-laws used to live very close to Matador. That area has some big turkey and lots of mulies. On one of the trips up there, my father in-law took me to Matador, we drove around the area and then a quick trip through it. We only saw mule deer doe in Matador, but outside of it, I saw some of the biggest turkey, I have ever seen. Then lots and lots of mule deer laying around in plowed fields, never seen so many mule deer. Some of the fields were cotton fields, I think some were watermelon fields, if I remember correctly. I swear I remember seeing a few watermelons still laying in the fields. Most of the fields near two were cotton fields.
              I would not have thought that area would be a good place for turkey, but from what I saw on those trip, they got turkey, not sure what the population is like. But we saw quite a few on that trip up there for Christmas one year. A lot of places I know of that have good turkey populations, you really don't see turkey till the spring.

All of the turkey we saw were in areas, where there was brush and or trees, not in the plowed fields. If I remember correctly, most of the turkey we saw were just outside of Matador.

If it was not so far away, I would not mind going up there to hunt turkey.
              Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 11-03-2021, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Bringing this back to the top.

Hunt is getting close!

Comment

I hunted Matador but I did not see any turkeys while there so Im not much help with that. Paducah is about 10 minutes south of the gates. Theres 2 hotels, 1 with the rooms upstairs and no elevator so if you have a lot of equipment you might not like that. The other you can back your truck right up the door but its a major chit hole. I asked the guy for shampoo and he brought back a stryfoam cup that he squeezed some in and said "thats shampoo plus conditioner!". He was proud of himself. I would imagine its going to be a tough hunt but those turkeys get stupid in the spring so it could work out. Good luck and I will answer any questions that I can.

Comment

No Turkey in Hall Co but Matador is south. Used to be some we have been in a bad drought for several years there and the Turkey have declined. Hope Matador is loaded. I would call the biologist there a ask about their population

Comment

We drew James Daughtry spring turkey at the end of March. Looking forward to it!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X