5.4 Triton rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.4 Triton rebuild

Well my truck blew a gasket, oil pan, going down the highway. Spouse was driving. It's a 2008 F150 and I was blessed to get a doozy of the 5.4 tritons. Complete timing kit at 60,000 miles and every other issue has come to fruition with the blowing of the oil pan gasket.
    Can't afford a new truck right now so we're going the rebuild route.
    We have a great shop in town and Leonard is very familiar with my truck by now. He will address every issue the engines are known for.
    Link to his shop FB page if anyone is interested : https://www.facebook.com/Advanced-Au...99124406801352

Hoping 4 weeks from now it will be running like new.
    I've taken it many places it never should have been so can't be too mad but not great timing for us.
    Here's the truck on my last Wyoming moose hunt, it has hauled a lot of quarters back to the house.
    Attached Files

Did it dump all the oil out and burn up? Just an oil pan gasket is not a big deal…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not sure, we pulled over and got a tow. It definitely makes some interesting noises now.
      No oil pressure and gasket for sure is blown. Dipstick was smoking but registered oil.
      The guy will get into it and let us know if he suggests the complete rebuild. At 100,000 miles, just turned, I want it right now so I can depend on it.
      it was starting to sound "sick " again, knocks, ticks, etc.
      The shop is good, been using them for 30 years, he will do us right.

The 5.4, 3 valve I have is not Ford's best work, lol. Mine has every issue known to them.

Open to any advice and suggestions here.

Comment

I think you have a pretty good idea on how to fix it, and let us know how it turns out.

Did you also have issues with the spark plugs not coming out of the heads?

Comment

I had one in a 04 f150 and mine did pretty good for 225,000 miles when I traded it in. Had a snap ring in the tranny break and take away the overdrive, the was a pretty easy fix. Then one of the vct solenoids went out and took a catalytic converter with it. After the vct solenoid got fixed it never knocked again when starting.

Comment

New plugs and coil packs last year, had 2 cracked plugs.

Comment

Those engines are dogs but if you change the oil and are aware of the spark plug issue they will run for a long time
              I’ve had three over the years that we ran the **** out of. Just bought my daughter a 2010 fx4 with 155k miles on it with the 5.4l
              And I hope we can get another 100k out of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                New plugs and coil packs last year, had 2 cracked plugs.
                Going through this now with mine. Waiting on a quote

Comment

Yeah, when it starts ticking and clicking, you need to add some oil.

My buddy had one of those motors, and it was a POS from day one.

Comment

Engine had regular upkeep, just a ****.
                    I knew when a complete timing kit had to go in I was in for a long ride.

Interesting on my plug change, when the garage got the new plugs from the distributer, 2 in the box were cracked already.

Comment

My 06 5.4 locked up on me as well. Went ahead and put a whole new engine in it. Believe we put the Powertrain motor in it. Have close to 10k miles on the new engine and it seems to be doing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Too low on oil, failed oil pump or clogged screen on oil pick up, I don’t see a gasket doing this all at once.

Good luck with the rebuild.

Comment

2010 F-150 with the 5.4L 208,000 miles. Fingers crossed only done brakes, batteries and one alternator... She is starting to tick for about 5 seconds on start ups. Need her to last till this $%&* show of the chip shortage is over so I can get a new truck.

Comment

Just bought a clean 2001 King Ranch with 92,000. I’m hoping it gets 200k easy.

Comment

I think I had 4 or 5 of the half tons with the 5.4 that we put 200K plus on before trading. Yes, some of them went places that a pickup should not have to go. One is still in Menard and I am guessing it has close to 400K on it.
                              Adios,
                              Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X