Persistence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Persistence

Finally getting some time to write a decent recap. I had this guy on camera several times during the spring & summer along with a couple of others that I thought could be targets this season. Started getting hard-horned pics of him in August and decided he was the one.

Opening morning finally came. Had a nice assortment of does, yearlings, and younger bucks around....then I saw him coming through the Mesquites @ about 8:30. Awesome. He hung around the periphery for a while and then jumped into the pen. Stayed around the 34-35 yard mark forever then took two steps forward and turned just right. 32 yards. No sweat. Drew, anchored, lined him up, then touched it off. Zoom...right under his chest. Took a step forward, looked around, walked to the back edge of the pen, jumped out, and wandered off. I couldn't believe it.

Got back to camp and took some shots to try to discern what just happened. Six shots in a 4" circle. It was not the equipment.

I went back every weekend (except one for the COVID). Had him on camera two times on consecutive Tuesdays, 10/20 & 10/27. Opening afternoon of rifle season I was sitting in the Krivoman and had the typical circus of smaller bucks and does through. Some bucks were trying to chase with no luck. I had given up on the evening when the small 6 and decent 8 at the feeder started staring behind me. He walked in from a direction I would have never expected. Made his way to the back of the pen and ate corn in the same place he had a month before but stayed head-on for several minutes. Light was quickly fading when he slowly walked up to my hand corn, and turned just right...again. This time I put it on him @ 28 yards. I saw him go down and after a few minutes when I was convinced he was going to stay down, I got out and put my hands on him. 18-1/4" inside spread 10-point, big body, and my best ever.

If you have a score guess, throw it out there. Thanks guys.
    Attached Files

Very nice buck, congrats sir!

Comment

Very nice buck!

Comment

Thanks for the story very nice buck

Comment

Man what a buck. I say around 140 on score...nice 2 and 3s. Congrats bro!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Beautiful buck, I'm saying 143"

Comment

Heck of a deer!! Congrats!

Comment

Great buck, congrats!

Comment

Waydago -that’s a great buck

Comment

Congratulations! Nice deer there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk