Hand corn and scent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand corn and scent

I keep seeing posts where someone mentions putting out hand corn.
    Isn't there a concern about a person's scent being on the ground by the hand corn?

No. It would be dispursed pretty widely. I have never had a problem with it.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
      I keep seeing posts where someone mentions putting out hand corn.
      Isn't there a concern about a person's scent being on the ground by the hand corn?
      I’ve never had an issue. I put our hand corn last year at noon. Had a mature buck in at 5ish. He didn’t seem bothered by anything until he took a grim reaper to his rib cage.

Comment

I've had older buck and doe smell my foot print and get suspicious then leave so I'm more apt to toss bbn it out of the old coffee can.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

An old doe will always get freaked out at first when she smells your scent. But she also sees and smells the corn. After sneaking up to the corn and hitting your scent.....turning around to leave.....remembering the corn.....turning back around and sneaking up on it again......stopping in your tracks where the scent is and streeeeeeetching her nose toward the corn.....getting that first bite of corn.....and then finally moving in to chow down, she relaxes and just enjoys the free corn.

Comment

Deer love corn.

Comment

Notice the times. Caveat, I have been feeding this spot hand corn only for several weeks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

After 24 hours I think they will eat it.

Comment

I got places I only hand corn. No feeder. Those are the places I’m most likely to see a mature buck. They come in sometimes 5 minutes after I throw it. Deer are way more jumpy at a feeder.

Comment

I have seen deer walk on/follow trails that have had human traffic less then an hour prior to the deer.

Comment

Never had a problem sometimes I’ll hand corn 30 minutes before the feeder goes off on the sendero and they will go to the sendero and eat the corn before making their way to the feeder

Comment

Just so we are clear- most are not touching the corn with their hands - not leaving a human touch scent. But are using a bag, back pack or actual corn sack to haul and sling the "hand corn".

I've had occasions where they knew it wasn't supposed to be there and left, but usually they go right to it.
                        I have had a few smell where I walked in and walked away.
                        2 weeks ago I had a group of 8 does come in (not at feeder) and two of the does started trailing my path backwards but then stopped after a few yards and went back to the corn.
                        They can smell where I walked even though I stomp in cow patties on my way in.

Comment

I’ve only use hand corn for the last 10-12 years and I touch all of it. Never an issue

Comment

Our pigs seem more sensitive to scent on hand corn than our deer do.

Comment

No issues. They can jump on it in an hour and not spook.

Comment

Working...
                              X