No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12/4 draws, let me know if anyone wants to go in on an Airbnb or hotel room. I'm driving down on Wednesday night for the Thursday morning orientation and staying through the 8th.

Also driving down on the 18th after work for scouting weekend. Will be camping at Thomae Park that weekend.

Comment

Brand new here. We got drawn for the Nov 20-24th hunt. I saw that compartment 6 is closed during this hunt. One thing - I called down to the office and bicycles and ebikes are allowed to get around as well. I've hunted El Sauz Ranch, just last year and it butts up to this place, and there was no shortage of Nilgai running freely in the low fenced areas. Will be me and 2 of my kids, wife and youngest son will stay on South Padre Island (hotel/motel rates are decent for that time frame)and we will make the drive daily. We are from the Houston Area.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
        12/4 draws, let me know if anyone wants to go in on an Airbnb or hotel room. I'm driving down on Wednesday night for the Thursday morning orientation and staying through the 8th.

Also driving down on the 18th after work for scouting weekend. Will be camping at Thomae Park that weekend.
        I’ll be hunting solo as well, but willing to help anyone pack out or track animal during the 12/4 hunt. Or team up with someone.

Comment

I went last year and got drawn again this year for the 12/4 hunt.

Also, I will go against the grain and say that snake boots aren't necessary. I had snake chaps on and didn't wear them half the time. Are there snakes? Yes. Did I run in to some? Yes (but they weren't rattlesnakes). Just dont be Jimmy Dicking around out there and watch where you're stepping!

What you should be concerned about is lots of walking or riding a bike and brining spare tubes or tubes with slime.

Comment

Originally posted by piercebronkite View Post
            I went last year and got drawn again this year for the 12/4 hunt.

Also, I will go against the grain and say that snake boots aren't necessary. I had snake chaps on and didn't wear them half the time. Are there snakes? Yes. Did I run in to some? Yes (but they weren't rattlesnakes). Just dont be Jimmy Dicking around out there and watch where you're stepping!

What you should be concerned about is lots of walking or riding a bike and brining spare tubes or tubes with slime.
            X2

I say it every year on the Laguna threads, but I’ve hunted Laguna multiple years and hunted south Texas all my life and I do not wear snake boots. I bought a pair of them last year and wore them one time and more than likely won’t wear them again. I just wear merrel hiking shoes and watch where I walk.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
              X2

I say it every year on the Laguna threads, but I’ve hunted Laguna multiple years and hunted south Texas all my life and I do not wear snake boots. I bought a pair of them last year and wore them one time and more than likely won’t wear them again. I just wear merrel hiking shoes and watch where I walk.
              A lot of times I was walking in tall grass and could not see the ground. A few times I found my self the tall grass in standing water. That was not a good feeling. If you choose not to wear snake boots, that's fine, me... I will have them on. Good luck to all down there.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                A lot of times I was walking in tall grass and could not see the ground. A few times I found my self the tall grass in standing water. That was not a good feeling. If you choose not to wear snake boots, that's fine, me... I will have them on. Good luck to all down there.
                Yup completely understand. Definitely a good idea to wear them, but absolutely necessary? Nope

But for those that are interested, there are definitely snakes out there lol. Had one coil up underneath my tripod one year and sat there till dark.
                Last edited by BigRed323; 09-04-2020, 08:01 PM.

Comment

For you guys who have been here in the past bow hunts, 200 permits seems like a lot. Were there Joe blows walking the roads all day?

Comment

For you guys who have been here in the past bow hunts, 200 permits seems like a lot. Were there Joe blows walking the roads all day?

It’s a big area. I’d assume it’s pretty easy for everyone to get out there and get away from everyone else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I did one of the archery hunts down there last year. Had a great time, but couldn't make it happen on a deer or nilgai.

The only snake i saw was a HUGE blue indigo that stretched halfway across one of the roads i was riding my bicycle on.

For those who are riding bikes, bring lots of tire repair stuff and extra tubes.

Comment

Couple years ago I was in unit 1 and saw a lot of folks walking / biking the road a lot. I think most of the people & Nilgai are in units 3 & 8.

Comment

anyone got places to stay other than the 11/20 hunt, I'd be interested in hearing bouts the details. I am trying to line up someplace and it's looking a little scarce at the moment. I have one pace that is a maybe.

Comment

Port isla inn and white sands in port isabel. Executive suite in Laguna vista. White

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, It’s a good bit of people, but you’ll find a rhythm. You will definitely run into other hunters, but not constantly. And the hunter activity drops off pretty sharply after Sunday morning.

Comment

Originally posted by CAP View Post
                                I did one of the archery hunts down there last year. Had a great time, but couldn't make it happen on a deer or nilgai.

The only snake i saw was a HUGE blue indigo that stretched halfway across one of the roads i was riding my bicycle on.

For those who are riding bikes, bring lots of tire repair stuff and extra tubes.

Same. In two hunts I only saw 2 snakes. Both were HUGE indigo snakes. Beautiful creatures.

Comment

Working...
                                X