First arrow to fly at a live target

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First arrow to fly at a live target

Due to a bad shoulder and not really ever having a set up for bow hunting, I've never taken a deer with an arrow.
    Well last season Academy had a deal on crossbow + hunting license deal, so I picked one up there. Did research and bought some bolts and F.O.C. blades, plus a target.
    Practiced over the last year and set up a ladder stand that could only be hunted with a certain wind. I sat in that stand a couple of times last season without seeing a thing.
    This year, I moved my soft side redneck blind so I could use a rifle or my crossbow, overlooking the food plot and a feeder 50 yards away. It's the one my youngest got her first buck out of over youth weekend.
    After hunting ducks yesterday, today was going to be a meat hunt. Need to resupply the freezer and was going after a doe. They have been showing up on cameras pretty regular so I was hoping today was the day to let an arrow fly.
    I took both my .243 and crossbow. Got in the blind early, loaded both of them and waited to see what options I would get.
    It didn't take long and 3 does and a button buck showed up at the feeder. I had my eye on the biggest doe as the others looked like yearlings.
    They ate and ate and ate, all while staying at the feeder. Usually they would move into the food plot but they hung up at the feeder.
    Then the biggest doe decided she was going to leave. She's at the edge of the field and brush when I decided I was going to take her with my rifle. Quick shot, she ran and crashed.
    At the same time, the other 3 scatter. One runs right in front of me into the food plot. I ranged her at 42 yards. I bit farther than what I wanted my first ever bow shot at, but she kept still just looking around. I grabbed my bow and took my time. Put the 40 yard cross on the triangle and let it fly.
    Twak went the bow and I heard the thump and saw red right were I was aiming. I could tell she took the hit. She ran to some taller grass on the side of the plot, did some circles and crashed.
    I was pretty fired up. I know it isn't a "real man's" bow kill, but I felt very accomplished.
    That crossbow with the F.O.C. blades did some damage. Only bad thing was since it was a straight pass through, I can't find the arrow in the shin high grass in the food plot. Guess I'll need to find someone local with a metal detector.

Good shot!! And congratulations on your first!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Waydago!

Comment

Awesome work sir. Transitioning from x bow to vertical bow is considered very manly.

You done good.

Comment

Heck of a hunt. Congrats

Comment

Sounds fun! Congratulations

Comment

Nice! Congrats!

Comment

Looks like a fun set up, and congrats on the deer!

Comment

Happiness indeed.

Comment

Congrats to you

Comment

Working...
                      X