What 2 way radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What 2 way radio

Want to get some walkies for the new ranch. There are lots of hills and rough country. Wondering if there are any reliable one that work well at long distances in rough terrain. Any suggestions appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An amateur radio license will give you access to the most reliable comms but you'll have to take a test.

GMRS is probably next on the list and gives you access to radios with decent power, especially the mobile units. You still need to pay for a license but you don't have to take an exam.

FRS doesn't require a license but will be the lowest powered radios These are the radios that you find in the blister packs at most stores

I say pony up for the GMRS license and get a good radio like the Midlands.

Shop the Midland MicroMobile collection that features the most powerful GMRS 2-way radios on the market. These radios are ideal for outdoor communication.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow that’s for the info. It looks like a lot of the midlands are base units. Do the handheld GMRS have good range

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
        Wow that’s for the info. It looks like a lot of the midlands are base units. Do the handheld GMRS have good range

The handheld GMRS should run about 4 - 5 watts and the small FRS radio are usually 1/2 -1 watt. So 5 watts can usually give you at least at least a mile or more depending on terrain. Don't believe the mileage estimates the FRS radio give on then packaging. The stock rubber duck antenna is trash, find a good aftermarket antenna with some gain and it will help immensely.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

This brand is been good for me. They are really great quality.

Discover the BaoFeng BF-F8HP, High-Power, dual band (VHF/UHF), two-way radio. Visit the BaoFeng site to learn, buy, and get support.

Comment

Working...
          X