Berger vs Accubonds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Berger vs Accubonds

I have always been a Berger bullet fan and overall have been successful with them. I don’t have much experience with Accubonds but have heard nothing but great things about them.

I recently built a .270 WSM with APR and realistically it’s going to be a 300 yard and closer rifle and have heard the Accubonds may perform better at closer distances.

Anyone have experience using both of the bullets? Prefer one over the other? This is solely a whitetail rifle. Currently can’t find/buy either one because everything is out of stock but I’m curious what the guys think that have used both.

I appreciate any input.

Berger is more accurate. Flies better at distance. Higher BC. But not built for heavy penetration. At closer range the Berger will usually blow up inside and not exit on a deer. But it’s like striking a deer with lightning.

The accubond is a bonded core Bullet. Designed to have maximum weight retention and penetrate bigger thicker skinned animals. They do great up close and at further ranges they just don’t fly as well as a high BC Berger.

I’ve killed lots of stuff with both. Berger is perfectly fine for everything up to elk. You just may have issues hitting heavy bone and not getting good penetration. They are hell on deer. But the accubonds will perform far better as a hunting Bullet.

Comment

I used to shoot the 140gr Accubonds in a 270wsm, all animals I shot were recovered. Only thing if you aim for the lungs, don’t expect a blood trail. Shoulder shots expect lots of meat damage. For whitetail in that caliber I would go with ballistic tips, better blood trail if you shooting behind the shoulder.

Comment

130gr Accubond from a 260 is bad news on deer. Last 2 i shot were 320-350 yards and I had perfect expansion one DRT one ran 20-30 yards.

Last one I shot with a 165gr Accubond from a 16” 308 517 yards bang flop with perfect expansion.

My experience has been great with the Accubond and I’ll keep using them. I’ve always been a ballistic tip or match bullet guy. I think ill keep
        Using these to hunt with.

Comment

I’ve used accubonds to harvest 20+ deer and a few elk. They mushroom consistently and stay together while penetrating through both shoulders of a deer at velocities over 3000fps.

The downside to them is lack of expansion at low velocity. I think 1600fps is the minimum they need to expand.

Comment

I’ve had a lot of success with both bullets on whitetail, hogs, red stag and varmints. I think as long as you match the Accubond to a moderate velocity rifle on deer they work great.

The bigger bodied and thicker skinned animals - Elk, Red Stag, etc can soak up more energy, therefore you can push the accubonds at a higher speed and still get great performance.

I tried the accubonds in my 26 nosler and they are just moving too fast for deer and hogs - they zip through and don’t create as much damage as you’d want and lead to long, mediocre blood trails. I’ve shot 5 pigs through the shoulder at 75-300 yards and all but one ran 60-80 yards in thick brush before expiring. The same shot with a Berger puts them down in their tracks everytime for me.

I bet with WSM velocity the Accubond would be a good choice though. If shooting accubonds, you can take nearly any angle shot as it will penetrate deep and hold together. I tend to try and get broadside shots with bergers to ensure proper penetration.

Out to 500 yards both will shoot extremely well with handloads.

Comment

I appreciate all the feedback, that’s pretty consistent with what I have been hearing. Sounds like a toss up pretty much.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                Berger is more accurate. Flies better at distance. Higher BC. But not built for heavy penetration. At closer range the Berger will usually blow up inside and not exit on a deer. But it’s like striking a deer with lightning.

The accubond is a bonded core Bullet. Designed to have maximum weight retention and penetrate bigger thicker skinned animals. They do great up close and at further ranges they just don’t fly as well as a high BC Berger.

I’ve killed lots of stuff with both. Berger is perfectly fine for everything up to elk. You just may have issues hitting heavy bone and not getting good penetration. They are hell on deer. But the accubonds will perform far better as a hunting Bullet.

I completely agree with everything here except the 1st sentence...it’s tough makin such broad and generalizing statements

Berger’s as a general rule may be a tad more accurate but not always. I have a model 70 featherweight in 264 win mag and it ABSOLUTELY HATES Berger bullets and easily shoots 1/2” groups with the Accubonds

But like was stated ... both are great choices

Comment

I’m shooting 140 elite Berger’s out of APR 6.5 prc at 3000mv. This combo has killed deer from 70 yds out to 375 yds. The results are all the same, Bang Flop. No exits on the closer shots or inside of 250 yds. Shot a doe last year at 375 yds and it had a golf ball size hole out her shoulder. I will say this, the insides are like jelly. It destroys everything and is like a grenade going off, quite a bit of meat loss. I am also thinking of running the accubond out of my APR 280ai that was part of group buy this year. Glad this was brought up because I’m excited to hear stories on the accubond. For you 280ai guys what gr. Accubond are you running.

Comment

I’ve been hunting with Bergers for several years. Since being bought out something has changed.

Whereas I used to get consistent pass throughs on everything from a 260 Rem, 6.5-284 and 308, here lately I rarely get a pass through even at moderate velocities from a 308 and that a hard no-go for me. I’m currently looking for other options.

I’m really nervous to shoot anything with my 257 Wby with Bergers since I’m getting 3600fps MV from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I've have not been impressed with the accubonds but have been with the Hornady interbonds. It just seems that the accubonds tend to fragment more.

The Bergers require being more selective, the only one I still use for game is the 215gr Hybrid.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

Whereas I used to get consistent pass throughs on everything from a 260 Rem, 6.5-284 and 308, here lately I rarely get a pass through even at moderate velocities from a 308 and that a hard no-go for me. I’m currently looking for other options.
                        Your .308 RL17 recipe and the Speer 168gr Gold Dot is proving to be a deadly combo, pass throughs and big exit holes.

Comment

270wsm 140gr Accubond exit shoulder shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RF76 View Post
                            270wsm 140gr Accubond exit shoulder shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Wow, looks to have done the job here. Looks like a toss up, I may try whichever I can find first I guess.

Comment

I know you did not ask about it but have you considered the Barnes TTSX bullet? That is what I used exclusively on big game and they are designed for deep penetration. If you wanted a higher BC, their LRX bullet is outstanding and it what I used in my 7mm RUM.

I worked up a load for my buddy who bought a 243 Win for his daughter. I used the Nosler 90 gr AccuBond in it and it is very accurate and has done a great job on the deer and antelope she has shot.

It is all about personal preference but on big game, I want a bullet that has deep penetration and for me, Barnes has always performed with excellence.

Comment

Working...
                              X