No announcement yet.

Which Brand of Air Conditioner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anymore the ac units are migrating to high tech electronic motor drives. Don’t know if this is some government mandated energy efficiency plan. Last year i had the fan motor on my Carrier air handler go out. I have a ten year parts warranty so i only paid for labor. Had the fan motor not been covered by warranty it would have cost $1000 just for the motor. So IMO simple is better.

Comment

I realize this is an older thread. My builder went with Trane in our new house. Hope it performs better than some of these posts.

Comment

I put brand new rheems 17 seer 2 stage in the home I bought last year. Been excellent so far. Help cut my electric bill too.

Comment

Ok, so it seems there are a lot more A/C experts on here than I knew. The wife and I just moved this past October, and during the purchase of the new home, 1 of the a/c units went out. The owner replaced it with a brand I have never heard of, EVCON. I assume it to be the cheapest thing he could get since the close was less than 2 weeks away, but I have no other basis for this claim. Can ya'll give me the quick rundown on EVCON? TIA!

Comment

Had a 2 tranes when I built my house and they were great for 15 years, one is actually still going strong. Replaced one with a Lennox because that’s what the local dealer has and that was a mistake. Whenever the compressor kicks on it you can hear a loud bang, told them about it and they could never fix.

Comment

Goodman was bought out by Daikin about 10 years ago. It was a cheaper below average system prior to being bought out. Daikin has improved it since the buyout though. If money were an issue I would feel good about considering a Goodman. I remodeled our house in 2013 and put in a 3 ton Lennox 2 stage/16.5 seer that would freeze us out and electricity bills was great. We built new in 2017 and went with a 5 ton Trane. Nothing runs like a Trane is correct.

I looked on line at reviews back in 2013 and found that all brands have problems and complaints. I wouldn`t waste your money upgrading to a higher seer and stick with a single stage compressor. Repairs will cost you lots less for those units and it takes to long to get your money back by upgrading the SEER rating.

Comment

No issues with my Goodman unit.

Comment

Daikin…

Been in a few months.

Electric bill is cheaper and with variable speed house stays awesome.

2700 sq ft.

Warranty is the best

Comment

American standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My question is what is so important about the installation? These things come pretty much put together. Make sure its level and will drain, solder up copper, vaccume and charge. Other than design of ducts/return ensuring all seams are sealed properly what is so important?

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                        Trane or Daikin. Trane needs to fix their valve issues on the high end product.

https://daikincomfort.com/products/h...r-conditioners
                        I replaced one of our units with a Daikin a couple of years ago and have been pleased.

Comment

None of the manufacturers are what they used to be. The younger kids working the lines these days don't give two craps about quality. The components are all outsourced from Asia. That being said I have been an American Standard dealer for 12 years until something better comes along. Daikin bought Goodman but their residential split units are still Goodman with a Daikin or Amana badge. Nothing Daikin about them! Daikin still makes mini splits and Mc Quay makes the RTU's Get behind a good company that stands behind the product they install. If they use day laborers for installations stay away!

Comment

Originally posted by MLAH View Post
                            Interesting information:

First things first, however. While there are many brands of central air conditioners, digging deeper reveals that the majority of central air conditioners are made by a handful of companies, marketing merely makes it looks as if you have a wider range of choices. The major manufacturers are:
                            Trane, which also makes American Standard
                            United Technology, which owns Carrier, Bryant, Payne, Day & Night, Heil and Tempstar
                            Lennox, which owns Ducane, Armstrong, Concord, Allied and AirEase
                            Rheem, which owns Ruud
                            Goodman, which makes Amana and Janitrol
                            York, which makes Coleman and Luxaire
                            Nortek Global HVAC, which makes Maytag, Westinghouse, Frigidaire, Kelvinator and others

Group 1 – Our Top Picks for the Top 10 Air Conditioner Brands of 2018:
                            Goodman
                            Day & Night
                            Mitsubishi
                            Bryant
                            Carrier
                            York
                            Amana
                            Trane
                            Rheem
                            Lennox
                            Been in the buisness over 35 years. No way in hell that Goodman is top of the list. The only way i installed a Goodman is if customer wants a cheaper unit. Last couple of years their pricing has gone way up so I dont even offer them. For the same or a little more I put them in a better unit.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasWicked1 View Post
                              Trane and only Trane.
                              Yup, or American Standard.

Comment

I bought a Trane unit when I went to work for American Standard in 2003 (parent company of Trane at that time). It is still going strong.

Trane kept the American Standard name for residential when Trane spun off in 2007 and a few months later Ingersoll Rand acquired us. No longer with Trane but I understand they were spun off again. Should make for a stronger company that can focus on it's core business, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X