Veterinarian ideas wife’s pup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
    Cone is on and stays on when I’m not home. Him having an allergy wouldn’t surprise me. Thanks for the info, my first thought was he licked or chewed himself raw overnight. But he sleeps next to our bed and I never heard him. Either way I don’t want my wife loosing him just yet, she loves this dog.

Thanks for all the info and responses guys. Probably going to get a second opinion if things don’t show improvement with current meds by Monday.

What medication did they prescribe for him if you don’t mind me asking?

And it is fine to use Vetricin or most topical wound treatments. The key is keeping them from chewing, licking, and scratching the area. They can be painful and will drive a dog crazy wanting to chew at it- like a kid (or a meth head) that won’t quit picking a scab.

And these are deep skin infections so systemic antibiotics (injection or oral) are best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our golden would get an allergic reaction every year at the same time. Vet would give him a steroid shot then benedril for a few days.

Comment

Our English Bulldog had a spot on her leg that she started licking. Because of the swelling, I believed she had been hit by a copperhead in our yard. Hauled her to Aggieland and they watched her overnight and gave her some meads. Brought her back home, only for her to get worse and her breathing labored. Come to find out, she had a small minor sore, licked it because she is a dog. That turned into a bad yeast infection. Medication provided reacts bad to yeast infection and it dang near killed her.

I wonder if it could simply be a yeast infection as our dog had that because of the licking, now looks as it does?

Comment

Check out www.acvd.org you can find a vet derm close to you have it looked at if not better. There is quite a wait time for them though. I would get him on some good flea medication (Bravecto or nexgard) and keep the area clean and dry until the biopsy comes back. If it gets real bad have your vet call to talk with a dermatologist and they may be able to squeeze you in sooner based on the severity.

Good luck

Comment

Maybe try some gentian violet.

Comment

Looks like a hot spot to me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Moist pyoderma..keep him off of it and systemic antibiotics +/- steroids and it'll be gone.

Comment

Working...
                X