No announcement yet.

Scope mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two years old and you still don’t need to lap quality rings.

Nightforce
    Hawkins
    Seekins
    ARC(just got these)

Never lapped a single one and I don’t run run loctite. Torque to proper setting at use as hard as you wish.

If a smith says I need to bed my scope rings I’m leaving. Immediately.

I suppose maybe if you bought some cheap stuff maybe. But then the cost with extra labor puts you right back at what you shoulda bought in the first place lol

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post

Nightforce
      Hawkins
      Seekins
      ARC(just got these)

Never lapped a single one and I don’t run run loctite. Torque to proper setting at use as hard as you wish.

I suppose maybe if you bought some cheap stuff maybe. But then the cost with extra labor puts you right back at what you shoulda bought in the first place lol
      You bet.

Comment

Nightforce
        Hawkins
        Seekins
        ARC(just got these)

I have lapped 2 of those and the lack of contact prior to lapping was an eye opener

Comment

I’m not payed by any of them but, before you place blame on rings, have you checked location on bases and action (including thicknesses in x, y and z on bases, action screw hole location (radial and axial) on a CMM? Just saying that no matter how perfect a ring, base or action is…if one is out and you crank it down then something will have a slight variance in it and it’s easy to blame a ring. And, in everyone’s favor, it’s the only thing that makes sense to rub a bar and some compound on to make it straight. Just don’t think it’s fair to always blame a ring.

Comment

I’m not blaming anything. As you mentioned there are multiple things stacking up tolerances which can lead to mis-alignment

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
              I have lapped 2 of those and the lack of contact prior to lapping was an eye opener
              I have no doubt. But my point being, did you try a before and after? If so what improvement did you see?

Comment

I have no doubt. But my point being, did you try a before and after? If so what improvement did you see?

Full contact between scope and rings

Comment

Which resulted in what?

I’m genuinely curious what the benefit is. I’ve never lapped a quality ring either and have rifles that shoot 1/4 MOA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’m asking if it improved accuracy. What did you gain doing what you did. And did you verify your receiver holes were aligned perfectly and not the cause of the rings being off?

Comment

I'm starting to be a big fan of one piece ring mounts as well as QD one piece especially on the AR rifles. I can switch between night vision and regular optics without having to sight the gun back in.Vortex and Burris is all I've use so far and both are holding perfect POI. You must have a good rail to do this so don't cut corners on that.
                      The way I see it, a one piece setup helps minimalize any misalignment in the receiver holes and gives a more solid base.
                      I now have a box full of Leupold rings for future use.
                      Last edited by muzzlebrake; 06-27-2021, 05:43 PM.

Comment

I’m asking if it improved accuracy. What did you gain doing what you did. And did you verify your receiver holes were aligned perfectly and not the cause of the rings being off?

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        Which resulted in what?

I’m genuinely curious what the benefit is. I’ve never lapped a quality ring either and have rifles that shoot 1/4 MOA.

I have no hard data that proves it did anything but in my mind having the rings aligned precisely with at least 90% contact on the scope reduces stress on the scope tube and increases grip between the scope and rings so it can’t hurt.

Comment

I have no hard data that proves it did anything but in my mind having the rings aligned precisely with at least 90% contact on the scope reduces stress on the scope tube and increases grip between the scope and rings so it can’t hurt.

I might see some advantage to doing it on heavy recoiling rifles.

Comment

I have known people that lap every ring combo and some that never do. I definitely think it would help with heavy recoiling rifles. One experience was with a buddies 300 ultra mag. He bought the gun used and the gun had the old school adjustable windage Leupold mounts on it. He mounted a new out of the box vx3 4.5-14x50 leupold and the gun would give him all sorts of fits, as far as chasing the impact. He sent the scope back to leupold, they went through it and said it was fine. Before he remounted it l, he purchased a rail and some seekins rings to help with eye relief. Once he mounted the same scope in the new rings accuracy was good to go. The seekins rings were not lapped, just installed out of the box. Could he of lapped the leupold mounts and had the same results, very possibly, but I think with most quality rings you should be good to go.

Comment

I used to always lap rings and always wondered if I was doing any good. Lately, I have been using Burris XTR Signature which you cannot lap. They seem at this point a better solution but time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                              X