No announcement yet.

Reasons we Bailed and Moved to Iowa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dallas sucks a**, Texas doesn't. I live in a county with 3 state parks, 4 lakes, 300 miles of river with tons of deer AND pigs. You ain't going to find that in Iowa.

I work for a company based in Iowa. They all gripe about the cold way more than we do the heat. Good luck

Comment

Proud for you all Mike, glad you got to live your dream. Your work with Texas ASA will never be forgotten!

Comment

The sticks is a great place to live. Your sticks are just too cold for me! I have cactus growing all over my sticks, but that’s ok! I am so glad I no longer live anywhere near a big city!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

beautiful place and great move
          i'm in the countdown stage of pre-retirement and relocating sounds appealing

Comment

Sure am glad I bought my land in Oklahoma when I did. I’m a life long Texan but to hell with this place, when I retire I’m headed north. It’s gotten to **** populated for me now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bcmuzzy View Post
              Sure am glad I bought my land in Oklahoma when I did. I’m a life long Texan but to hell with this place, when I retire I’m headed north. It’s gotten to **** populated for me now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Don’t let the door hit ya where the Good Lord splitchya!

Comment

Originally posted by nativeaustin View Post
                I go to Iowa at least once a year to see my cousins and hunt pheasants. I was getting gas on day and my cousin told me the gas station wasn't open. The pump was working so after I got gas I went into the building and left the money on the counter because there wasn't anyone there. I went to the bar after that and I saw the owner and he told me he left it open just in case someone needed gas.
                That is a cool story!

Comment

Need a roomate?

Comment

Big congrats Arrowsmith! I have always enjoyed following your transition to Iowa thread! I left for very similar reasons and can't say that there has been an ounce of regret from that decision! As previously stated, "LIFE is precious!" Make the most of it

Comment

You got it figured out. Beautiful place!!

Comment

Wonderful that y’all are living your dream, congrats!

Comment

This response is my reaction to the gas station story above. I thought I quoted it but I guess not.

I am not surprised. Living here is like going back in time. I have had one neighbor loan me a Troy Built Horse tiller. He said keep it. I know where to find it if I need it. I had another neighbor loan me a harrow section. Again. Keep it. I let you know if I need it. Another friend in Bloomfield gave me and delivered a 8' disc. He said this disc has been sitting in my pasture for the last 15 years. It might has well be sitting in yours.

Waving at every car, truck, tractor or Amish buggy is the norm. Unlocked houses, shops, and garages is the norm. I took bowhuntntxn and his wife by to see an Amish archery shop. The owner was not there. The door was unlocked. I didn't go in, but I could have. I could have got what I needed and paid later. We later saw him and stopped and spoke to him as he walked from his sawmill to his archery shop that he opens from 3:00pm until dark.

I have never heard about a stolen tailgate up here or a stolen anything for that matter.

There is a lot of nostalgia up here. Here are a couple of service stations that have been restored just because the owners could and wanted to. They are not open for business....just for people to see and enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by Arrowsmith; 05-27-2021, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pure lefty View Post
                            Proud for you all Mike, glad you got to live your dream. Your work with Texas ASA will never be forgotten!
                            Thank You !!! We are doing the same work for Iowa ASA up here....just on a smaller scale.

Comment

awesome all the way around, congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                                We had snow cover on the ground constant only the month of February. North of I-80 the winters are more severe. We are in SE Iowa. Our climate and snowfall average is similar to St.Louis or Kansas City.

The Loess Hills National Scenic Byway is similar to Padre minus the Gulf. The area where we live is huge rolling hills formed by glaciers with a lot of steep elevation changes. The northeast corner of the state is very similar to parts of Colorado with rough canyons and steep rocky bluffs.

The west state line is the Missouri River which is the longest river in the U.S. (100 miles longer than the Mississippi). The eastern state line is the Mississippi River which is the largest overall river in the U.S.

The Indians referred to Iowa as "the land between the two rivers where the tall corn grows". The Iowa, Otoe, Omaha, and Souix nations ruled the land that became the state of Iowa before settlers crossed the Mississippi.

Don't post photo's like this. You are going to get more people moving there!

Comment

Working...
                                X